D7000/D600 U1 and U2 Settings

NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
edited February 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I was just curious about what you guys set the U1 and U2 settings to be. Because although useful, I haven't thought of any settings I use all the time. I sort of just change my settings as I go.

...actually, to be honest, I haven't even read the how to even set U1 and U2 settings yet.

So yeah, what do you guys set it on?
Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited February 2013
    As the D7000 unfortunately only has three frame bracketing, you can set it up to give you more frames for HDR work.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • chakoochakoo Posts: 19Member
    edited February 2013
    I set U2 for long exposure work - LENR turned ON, AF-S, Single-point AF, f/8, 30 sec
    U1 for potraits - AF-C, AE Lock, f/4, 1/200

If I choose to give my camera to somebody to shoot my pic, I set to M mode which sets AE lock to default, AF-S, Auto-area AF. Much easier than training them to use AE-Lock.
    Post edited by chakoo on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Hmm, interesting solutions with the bracketing. I'll have to give that a go.

Ah, the long exposure work would make sense.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • Dredden85Dredden85 Posts: 365Member
    edited February 2013
    I set my U1 to shoot Monochrome. Seems to make it easier/faster to switch to. I am sure I'll find a use for U2. Spraynpray & Chakoo comments gave me something to think about. :-?
    Post edited by Dredden85 on
    D7000, 18-200VRII | 50 1.8G | SB-900
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    I set my User 1 on Vivid or Landscape (picture control) for everything other than portraits for which I set User 2 to Portrait or Standard (picture control). See, I like the stronger colors (old kodachrome 25 fan here) of Vivid (or Landscape if I don't want a red boost) but those two settings don't produce the best skin tones. So for shooting people portraits I switch to User 2 set on Portrait or Standard. Of course, I also set the other controls appropriately in User 1 and User 2. This allows me to swap back and forth quickly as I shoot a scene and then a person and then a landscape etc. The basic use for me is to quickly boost the colors when wanted (most of the time) and then snap them off when not wanted (a small amount of the time).
    edited January 2014
    I finally found a use of the U1/U2 settings haha!

I've been meaning to read the thread on rear button AF settings, but Admin posted this earlier.

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/01/25/how-to-use-nikons-af-on-and-back-button-autofocus.aspx/

I think it'd be really useful for me when I take macro shots. I sometimes like having AF with MF capabilities. Well this would help me a lot because I used to jam the AF/MF button back and forth on the lens so I have more control of the shoot.

By the way, I'm surprised the U1/U2 settings aren't available on the highest end DSLRs. I think there are similar settings that you can access through the menu, but not through a dial, like the D7000/D7100 or D600/D610.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    I have the setting on my Coolpix A but I shoot raw so don't see a use. I haven't thought of a single setting I use all the time that I need to switch back and forth with a lot that is not easy enough to access in My Menu (which is set to come up when I press AE-L/AF-L). So on my D800 I have not thought of anything to use menu banks for either.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    With my D7100 now, I have 5 frame bracketing so I have set my U2 for star trails and U1 for straight night landscapes.
    Always learning.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I have the D7100 and have U1 set up for fast moving objects, like BIF.
    I have U2 set up for photographing grand kids with AF-S, Auto-area AF. Also great if I give the camera to someone so I can be in the picture.

I would have loved to see this in the D300 and as NSXTypeR said it should be in the newer Pro cameras. Bet we will see it in the D810 and perhaps the D4S. I have been playing with different settings in each and have tweaked mine several times in 4 months.

D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited January 2014
    U! for Bokeh ,,max aperture of lens auto iso 100-6400 AF Aetc etc
    U2 for everyting else F5.6 auto iso 100-6400 min 1/60 flash 1/320 FP etc AF C
    A as U2 but AF A
    Manual set for 1/60 F8 auto iso 100-6400 in case (D7000) it gets knocked onto that and then you get a crude auto feature
    Never change anything tape up the thumb wheels...
    In comparison theD800 settings menus are total crap and useless
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    I have the setting on my Coolpix A but I shoot raw so don't see a use. I haven't thought of a single setting I use all the time that I need to switch back and forth with a lot that is not easy enough to access in My Menu (which is set to come up when I press AE-L/AF-L). So on my D800 I have not thought of anything to use menu banks for either.
    I didn't realize the Coolpix A also had the U1 and U2. Very interesting.

I've set U1 to Aperture priority now with the AE button set to AF-On. I can see that it can be very useful even in non macro situations- sometimes I just need it to focus once- if I accidentally let off on the shutter button it may miss focus a second time.

The only problem now is to get rid of the muscle memory of relying on the shutter for AF and release.
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    Yeah, the Coolpix A also has the settings. I use U1/U2 on my Coolpix A to toggle Auto ISO on and off. It feels totally overkill to use it for just this one function, but unlike on other Nikon bodies I don't know any other way to quickly toggle Auto ISO on the Coolpix A.