Black Rapid Strap Cautions -- Older design

Comments

• pippigurlpippigurl Posts: 241Member
    @Pippigurl: Doesn't that safety strap 'wind up' if the camera rotates? I like the idea of a safety device, but that sounds like a faff.
    Andrew not a waste of time if it keeps me from looking down at the pavement to see Nikon body parts spread about! Has not interfered with any of my activity.

• MyrddinMyrddin Posts: 15Member
    It was bought March 2009, the company only started in 2008 so it was a very early model.
  • hawkdl2hawkdl2 Posts: 56Member
    A few years ago, I went with the Carry Speed version of the BR strap because it came with a safety tether that attaches to the non swiveling part of the metal clip on the strap, and I read a few reports of people's cameras coming off the BR - like this one. The tether winding up around the clip has not been a problem and I can't imagine feeling comfortable without the extra security of the strap.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Has anyone tried this strap?

This is the strap that I currently use. I wear it around my neck with the camera slightly forward so I can lift it to my face in one motion. It never slips and is very comfortable.

Now I am thinking of the BR strap that holds two cameras (I am thinking D800 w/58 1.4 plus DF w/35 1.4 which perfectly brackets my most common shooting style - and another shooting style would be two of the 58, 85 and 135). However, I am concerned about the reliability issues described in this thread and elsewhere. If you watch the UPstrap video, you will appreciate how reliable it is and after owning it, it certainly feels it.

So another option is to have two UPstraps. The only hassle that I can think of is when I want to take the bottom camera/strap combo off - I will have to take both off.

Hmmm.....what do you guys think?
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Looks like just another neck strap, albeit with high quality quick release. I moved to be BR because I despise neck straps.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    I despise neck straps too because they move my centre of gravity forward of my legs which causes neck and back pain. However, the UPstrap is quite long. It rests on either shoulder and will hang at the waist. I wear it around the neck, but it still rests on the shoulder while hanging at waist level. The rubber piece is really comfortable and does not slip.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I have not used the UPStraps but have used the UPS rubber piece that goes around your neck or shoulder. I have threaded one of my straps through it and is is comfortable and does not slip.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    I'm using a drop of blue lactolite with my BR strap and that basically eliminates the problem with the screw.
    carabiner is a totally different story though. I'm thinking of getting this petzl screw-on carabiner for double protection, or you can use two carabiners mounted in opposite directions.
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    edited January 2014
    Dumb question here, off-topic, but while we're talking Black Rapid - I picked up a Curve over the holidays. Love it so far. I've found one situation that it doesn't protect very well against, so I'm trying to think up ideas for how to handle this:

It's at my hip, maybe behind me a little bit. I bend over or down say to pull something out of the trunk of my car. The camera slides around. My attempts to tuck my elbow in and back come too late, and the whole thing swings forward in a suicide dive for my car's bumper. So far, I've managed to stand up quickly enough and prevent any damage.

Previous straps I've had were shorter and/or tighter stretchy things that required a bit more friction for things to move around to the front when I'm bending over like that, so it happened less often.

Just curious if people have had this too and especially if they've solved it. Thanks in advance. I'm sure it's just a behavioral thing I need to burn into habit.

p.s. mine has the screw in lock for the carabiner - seems rock solid.
    Post edited by KnockKnock on
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • JuergenJuergen Posts: 315Member
    edited January 2014
    Dumb question here, off-topic, but while we're talking Black Rapid - I picked up a Curve over the holidays. Love it so far. I've found one situation that it doesn't protect very well against, so I'm trying to think up ideas for how to handle this:

It's at my hip, maybe behind me a little bit. I bend over or down say to pull something out of the trunk of my car. The camera slides around. My attempts to tuck my elbow in and back come too late, and the whole thing swings forward in a suicide dive for my car's bumper. So far, I've managed to stand up quickly enough and prevent any damage.

Previous straps I've had were shorter and/or tighter stretchy things that required a bit more friction for things to move around to the front when I'm bending over like that, so it happened less often.

Just curious if people have had this too and especially if they've solved it. Thanks in advance. I'm sure it's just a behavioral thing I need to burn into habit.

p.s. mine has the screw in lock for the carabiner - seems rock solid.
    Here is how I deal with it:

The little pigtails of my neck-strap always stay on the camera. I tie those around my belt or a backpack to keep the camera from dangling around too much. It is also a second safety level in case the carabiner of the black rapid comes off.

D4 Camera Strap

Jürgen
    Post edited by Juergen on
    D4, D800E, Nikon 1 J2, 600 f/4, trinity, PC-E 45, PC-E 24, 105, 50 f/1,8g, 85 f/1,4, Sigma 150-500
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    knockknock - what I do is kneeing instead of bending, don't know any other solution.
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    I find that safety and the ability to quickly go from hip to shooting is a delicate balance and more of a personal preference but I was thinking about a BR strap but have not gotten one yet (I see an 85% chance, unless something else finds me first). I was thinking about putting like a Velcro section that doubled over on its self on my belt and then sandwich the BR strap with the Velcro when I let the camera hang down by my side, this would keep it relatively in one location. Not sure the size/strength Velcro you would need since camera and lens weight will vary and not sure if this is even possible since I don't have a BR strap at this moment. I think a Velcro section would be something I could easily move and go from hip to shooting in a relatively short time and wouldn't get in the way when not in use.
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    edited January 2014
    Velcro. Good idea. I'll have to try that. Most of my pants have belt loops that would hold it in place when not shooting.
    Post edited by KnockKnock on
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    I was considering the BR, but was also interested in the simplicity of the Bosstrap. I am not totally satisified with attaching the strap to the tripod hole. Opinions on this differ. The Bossstrap attaches to the camera strap lug.. a device specifically designed to support the weight of the camera.

Fortunately, the design of the Bosstrap is so simple that it was easier, and cheaper, just to make my own. That way I could pick the hardware that I wanted. I was able to make one for about 1/3 the cost and best of all, no corporate logos (I hate corporate logos on straps!)

When I walk around with my camera in this sling, I automaticaly keep my left hand cradling the camers to keep it from bumping into things or to cushion it when other things bump into it. I suppose if I were engaged in an activity where both my hands were engaged, it would be a different story.

The BR system just seemed to be a complicated solution for a simple problem and an expensive one too.
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • Enthus_PhotoEnthus_Photo Posts: 1Member
    edited October 2014
    The link above is my blog post about my "solution" to this issue (I'm not taking credit for anything more than pushing a couple of ideas I saw on the internet together and write it up).

I've hauled my rig all over the world, sometimes carrying it all day for days in a row and it has never failed me or given me a heart-stopping moment. It has been a great insurance policy and I think it is easier/faster to use than the standard BR strap or other solutions similar to this one I've seen.
    Post edited by Enthus_Photo on
    Enthus_Photo - so where did you get the safety strap on the left in the above image? Is that a BR accessory?
    Is that the RRS B2-FABN screw knob clamp that the Carabiner is attached to?
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
    @Photobug - if i'm not mistaken those are one of OP/TECHs clips. I use a whole bunch of those.
    OP/TECH USA System Connector Uni-Loop (I believe these are it above)
    OP/TECH USA Utility Loop Connector
    OP/TECH USA Mini QD Loops - 1.5mm
    OP/TECH USA System Connector Adapt-Its
    I use all of these for various purposes. They have just about every option available that you would want.
    •Formerly TTJ•
  • HipShotHipShot Posts: 528Member

I then had several occasions when I noticed the sleeve that screws over the hinged clip- stopping it from opening- had unscrewed itself, making it possible for the clip to open.
    This happened to me once. My camera dropped from my lap onto a concrete parking lot surface as I exited my truck. The reversed lens hood took the impact, with a small blemish on the camera body. Everything still works great. I did have to buy a new lens hood.

Very disappointed that it can happen with Black Rapid straps.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @Enthus_Photo: I like that option - I'll do that.
    Always learning.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited October 2014
    I hang my cameras by ONE of the strap eyelets only and use a 20cent 03 fishing swivel to stop any wind up .
    A blob of silicone sealer under any plates will secure them even if the screw comes out and is easily removed for re sale
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    @Photobug - if i'm not mistaken those are one of OP/TECHs clips. I use a whole bunch of those.
    OP/TECH USA System Connector Uni-Loop (I believe these are it above)
    OP/TECH USA Utility Loop Connector
    OP/TECH USA Mini QD Loops - 1.5mm
    OP/TECH USA System Connector Adapt-Its
    I use all of these for various purposes. They have just about every option available that you would want.
    Thank you @Bokeh_Hunter about the Op/Tec clips. A little late with the thanks, sorry.
    edited December 2014
    I am bringing back this old form - last message was August 2103.

After doing some research on Black Rapids (BR) straps I came to the conclusion that the BR Sport was an idea strap for a single camera sling system. So after doing some research I came to this procurement list:
    BR Sports RS-2 strap $73.95
    BR FastenR Stealth adapter $14.95 (reduces noise as Carabinder twist and turns on standard adapter)
    BR Lockstar Carabinder Protector $9.95

So the total cost for the BR Sports sling strap and miscellaneous equipment is $98.85.

Then Golf007sd and others suggested buying the RRS B2-FABN screw knob clamp to secure on the Stealth adapter. This allows the fast release of the clamp from the RRS "L" bracket to move the strap to the RRS lens plate, for example: on a 70-200mm lens. The RRS screw knob clamp attached to the bottom of the lens plate or RRS Replacement foot.

The cost of RRS B2-FABN is $70 + shipping + the cost of the BR strap, $98.85. Total cost is $168.85 + shipping.

Therefore, the ideal BR configuration is going to cost $169 + shipping from RRS for the screw knob clamp. A bit expensive for many shooters. If you eliminate the RRS screw knob clamp you are looking at just under $99.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    Continuing the earlier message, I stopped when the total cost came to $169 + shipping for that RRS clamp and decided to look for alternatives. I just was not sure I wanted to invest $175~$180 in a strap system.

I took a second look at the BosStrap G3 Generation 3 sliding strap BOSG315, $47.95. Instead of connecting onto the tripod socket on the camera bottom or "L" bracket it attaches to the left camera body neck strap lug.

See more about BosStraps at: http://bosstrap.com/

I have always been concerned about the weight of the lens and DSLR all being supported by a BR strap connected to the tripod socket. I did some research on the strength of Tripod sockets and read Nikon's and Canon's response to the manufacturer. During my investigation I found this summary that made sense to my conservative engineering approach:
    http://bosstrap.com/where-to-attach-camera-strap-lug-or-tripod-socket/

The above link is a nice review of BosStrap testing and summarizing the responses from Nikon and Canon regrading the strength of the tripod socket and it's suitability as a strap connection point. That sold me on using the neck strap lug instead of tripod socket.

So I decided that I would buy my first sling strap from BosStrap and see how I liked it on my D750. See pictures in the next message of the BosStrap. Here is the link to the BosStrap G3 Generation 3 sliding strap that I purchased.
    http://bosstrap.com/shop/bosstrap-generation-3-sliding-sling-strap/

I also discovered that if you have a Black Rapid Strap and want to switch from the tripod socket as a connection point to the neck strap lug you can buy this Bostail strap which allows you to connect the BR Carabinder to the BosStrap tail which connects to the left (preferred) or right (optional) neck strap lug on your DSLR. Total cost is $9.95 for this conversion piece. A very nice inexpensive solution.
    http://bosstrap.com/shop/bostail-frees-tripod-socket-attach-to-camera-strap-lug/

See pictures in the next message.

This is the BosStrap G3 Generation 3 sling strap:
    DSC_1103
    Connection points to the DSLR:
    DSC_1105
    DSC_1104
    After using this sling srap for two days, no issues. The 1.5" wide strap is comfortable and no pad is required at the neck.
    Options and Options. The BosStrap does not have the upper and lower stops that the Black Rapid strap does have. I can see in the future I am going to remove the old OptiTech foam neck strap from my D7100 and either buy a BosStrap or buy the Black Rapid Sport and the BosStrap tail conversion strap and use that on the D7100 or D750.

During my research it was very apparent there are options to consider. For me the BosSrap G3 sling met my requirements. I hope this information is helpful in finding the ideal sling strap for you.