Torn between two cameras! Help appreciated for this total newbie!

Comments

• skyeyes70skyeyes70 Posts: 66Member
    ok, I appreciate all you guys! My head is about to explode but I'm learning so much! LOL
    I still haven't made my final decision. I think I have purchasing paralysis!! Obviously, by this time, what I WANT is more than I want to spend!! Hence I don't think I can get the 610 or 800. ;)

learning DSLR with D7100 18-105mm and 35mm F/1.8. I also love my little Nikon Coolpix AW100!
    flickr.com/photos/115637741@N02/
    imagesbypam.tumblr.com/ and driveby-shooting.tumblr.com/
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    But WE WANT to spend your money......
  • rbrylawskirbrylawski Posts: 222Member
    ok, I appreciate all you guys! My head is about to explode but I'm learning so much! LOL
    I still haven't made my final decision. I think I have purchasing paralysis!! Obviously, by this time, what I WANT is more than I want to spend!! Hence I don't think I can get the 610 or 800. ;)

I've read every post with interest in this thread. I'd suggest that the absolute best post and advice was from TaoTeJared. What he wrote should make your decision simple.

And if I can offer my personal perspective, I upgraded this year from a D5100. I could have bought a D600/610, but I have not sipped the FX is better cool-aid.....yet. So, for me the D7100 was the camera I chose and trust me when I say it's way more competent than I am. From what you've written about where you are in your photographic journey, the D7100 will serve you well. Some day you may find you've outgrown what a D7100 can do, but I'm betting the camera will be generations old before that happens.

We all love to have the next best and then some. Don't be fooled into believing you have to spend more to take great pictures. After all, the old saying "it's the eye behind the lens that makes the most difference" is the absolute truth.
    Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......
  • PaRealtorPaRealtor Posts: 95Member
    edited January 2014
    Wow! I needed to read this today. Was just complaining in 610 discussion about buying D7100 instead of a full frame. After tonight, I truly do love my D7100 and can't wait to learned more about it. I do believe it will take me a couple of years to master this thing!!!
    Went to class tonight with my NEW (used) D7100 and began to complain about how I thought the Full frame photos being shown off by the D800 carriers in our class were so much nicer then the D7100. Well, boy oh boy did I get beat up! I learned more about my D7100 tonight then I have from the last three sessions!!! Those D7100 users are just as serious about their cameras as the D800 users are!
    Post edited by PaRealtor on
    Wow! I needed to read this today. Was just complaining in 610 discussion about buying D7100 instead of a full frame. After tonight, I truly do love my D7100 and can't wait to learned more about it. I do believe it will take me a couple of years to master this thing!!!
    Went to class tonight with my NEW (used) D7100 and began to complain about how I thought the Full frame photos being shown off by the D800 carriers in our class were so much nicer then the D7100. Well, boy oh boy did I get beat up! I learned more about my D7100 tonight then I have from the last three sessions!!! Those D7100 users are just as serious about their cameras as the D800 users are!
    Put your D7100 in the hands of a great photographer and I'm betting if the pictures he/she takes with your camera were compared to the same shot taken with a D800 with the same lens, no one would be able to tell which was shot with which camera.

Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......
  • PaRealtorPaRealtor Posts: 95Member
    edited January 2014
    Ok. I'll try that. That's great advice! Joining a photo club next Saturday, Between photo class and photo club, hopefully I'll grow to appreciate what I have in hand. Will take it to a professional and let him shoot and then hang his pictures in PAD. Lord knows mine are NOT worth posting (yet). :-q
    Post edited by PaRealtor on
    edited January 2014
    OK, now that I'm still going to be spending a bunch of money, let me ask you this! After seeing the home page today and reading up on the new release of the D7200 (in March maybe) does anybody know if there is typically a significant price drop on the latest model once the newer one comes out? While I would hate the waiting, if it seems like the right thing to do, then I will. Nope...I read that wrong. Looks like the D7200 would not come out until summer. I really don't want to wait that long.
    This is WAY worse than cell phone shopping!
    Post edited by skyeyes70 on
    learning DSLR with D7100 18-105mm and 35mm F/1.8. I also love my little Nikon Coolpix AW100!
    If history is any barometer for the D7XXX line, there won't be a D7200 in March. It's typically on a two year refresh cycle (unless there was something wrong with it, which there isn't).

I think you may have analysis paralysis. It's common. Of course you can wait. But as soon as you do, something else will be just around the corner, with some feature you'll be convinced you simply can't live without. In the meantime, you could have bought a great camera and been developing your skills and having fun.

Don't live with analysis paralysis. Get a great camera, some great lenses and have fun.
    yes, analysis paralysis! LOL But, I'm learning. I'm going to get the camera though. Now to decide which lens! LOL (opens a can of worms) I'm thinking the kit lens18-140mm along with a prime to start but I need to figure out which one to get first.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    I think you may have analysis paralysis. It's common. Of course you can wait. But as soon as you do, something else will be just around the corner, with some feature you'll be convinced you simply can't live without. In the meantime, you could have bought a great camera and been developing your skills and having fun.

Don't live with analysis paralysis. Get a great camera, some great lenses and have fun.
    Yeah, there's always something newer and better coming ... soon. (See the happiness scattered around the various D400 threads in here) You can't take make pictures with a promised spec sheet. If the camera you are looking to buy now does what you want it to do, then get it and start learning.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
    edited January 2014
    yes, analysis paralysis! LOL But, I'm learning. I'm going to get the camera though. Now to decide which lens! LOL (opens a can of worms) I'm thinking the kit lens18-140mm along with a prime to start but I need to figure out which one to get first.
    The 18 - 140 is great. I love my 18 - 200. For a prime that's very affordable I'd start with the 35 mm F1.8. It's hard to beat this lens for around $200 and in reality it's a "nifty fifty" so its very versatile.
    Post edited by rbrylawski on
    Ok, any thoughts about either of these...
    D7100 w/ 18-140 = $1446
    or
    D7100 w/ manufacturer refurb Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Lens = 1546

add the 35mm, memory card, gear bag (maybe this one - http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-targus-dslr-camera-sling-bag-backpack), speedlight, and tripod.

OUCH, but doable (Christmas credit, birthday, and ummm St. Patrick's Day. Well, okay...Mother's Day)

Either way, I'm buying a camera in the next 24 hours.
    edited January 2014
    It really depends on whether you need the extra reach. Think of it this way. in 1.3 crop mode on the D7100, you still have a bit over 15 MP, which is quite usable. The lens doubles reach in crop mode. So the 140 will be 280mm. The 200 will be 400mm. If you think the extra reach would fit the style of photography you'll be doing, the 18 - 200 would be a great option. If you won't need the extra reach, the 18 - 140 would work and save a few dollars. Definitely add the 35mm. Get at least a 32GB quality card. As to bags, assume you'll be adding to your bag over time, so buy one that will grow with you. I can't tell you how many bags I've bought over just the last 3 years. I just looked at the bag you're considering. I had that exact bag. I outgrew it pretty quickly. Add a macro lens, a flash, some filters, etc., and you'll find you're out of space.
    Post edited by rbrylawski on
    Buy the fastest card money can buy. Your buffer will appreciate it.
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    Ok, any thoughts about either of these...
    D7100 w/ 18-140 = $1446
    or D7100 w/ manufacturer refurb Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Lens = 1546

add the 35mm, memory card, gear bag (maybe this one - http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-targus-dslr-camera-sling-bag-backpack), speedlight, and tripod.
    Refurb products from Nikon are a great way to save money - few have had issues and if you do, it will happen in the first year within the warranty period.

Personally I would save the extra $$ and go with the 18-105vr. The 18-200vr is a great lens (if you have the $) but is quite expensive. It is a step above other DX zooms for sure. The 18-140 seems to perform about the same as the 18-135, good but nothing great. As I mentioned above, keep in mind a FX move, and FX telephotos work equally as well. If you find more reach is needed, I would suggest adding the 70-300vr (FX -$370) later. It is a great lens and will flow into a FX move. It is also a less expensive option. You may find you would rather want an ultra wide rather than telephoto. With holding off, that would give you time to figure what range you prefer and then use the savings to buy a lens that better fits what you learn you would like later.

I'm opposite of jshickele - I find spending $ on fast cards to be a waste unless you are shooting rapid fire often. I'll get larger slower cards (since they are cheaper per GB) and get smaller faster cards when I need the speed. I stick to SanDisk Extreme or extreme pro cards most of the time. I have been using Komputerbay professional cards (found on amazon) and they have been working great but quite unknown and who knows if they last long term. I have three and have shot over 5,000 images between and they keep working so that is a very good sign. Promaster cards are also equally good for a cheaper price.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...

I'm opposite of jshickele - I find spending $ on fast cards to be a waste unless you are shooting rapid fire often. I'll get larger slower cards (since they are cheaper per GB) and get smaller faster cards when I need the speed. I stick to SanDisk Extreme or extreme pro cards most of the time. I have been using Komputerbay professional cards (found on amazon) and they have been working great but quite unknown and who knows if they last long term. I have three and have shot over 5,000 images between and they keep working so that is a very good sign. Promaster cards are also equally good for a cheaper price.
    It is a fair comment. I find myself wishing my buffer was a little bigger on my D800 on occasion and don't mind spending the extra money on a faster card.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited January 2014
    @skyeyes70: The second lens I ever purchased (used) was the 18-200 VR II (FYI the VR II is identified by having the VR in gold vs red). It is a great lens and now and days if the 35 1.8G DX is not on my D7000, then their is a high chance it will be the 18-200. If you do your due diligence, you should fine a good deal.

As for memory speed goes, the cost is not that big of a difference so I, too, would recommend getting the fastest possible...within reason. As for the brand, would recommend SanDisk as well.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    Okay, today is camera buying day!!! Finally!!! You guys have been so awesome!!
    One more lens questions. I have heard "oh don't get a kit lens, they are all crap", but I'm okay with getting one knowing that as a beginner, I will move to better lenses once I figure out more of my shooting style. I have looked a couple of times at the a used 16-85 which would still put me in the right price range. Would you do this instead of the 18-105 or 18-140.

If I do stick with the kit lens, I'm still torn over the 18-105 or 18-140. I've read where the 18-140 is built better (metal vs plastic). Is that worth the $100 price difference?
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    @skyeyes70: The 16-85 is the best kit lens for dx IMHO. I used it with my D90. Very good from 16-65 or so and like the rest of them from around 65-85. The only kit lens that gives you 16DX = 24FX. If you can afford it get it. It will do things no other kit lens will do. It will fit perfectly with a 70-300 if you will have something for the long end. Both a step up from normal kit lenses.
    I would only say this. Make sure that you get the 35mm and explore shooting both of them.

OK, one more thing. Sure kit lenses are slow and are not the top of the line zooms. But they are surprisingly good. I lived with my 28-200 on FX (FILM!!) until last year and while I will never go back, that lenses does not owe me anything.
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

@skyeyes70 I have the 18-105mm and the 18-55mm and the 16-85mm and the 17-55mm (a much more pricey lens).

The first two are kit lenses - they come with the cameras, the last two are bought separately. I use the 16-85mm for travel and the 17-55mm for work. You can visit Nikon's site for specifications, but in sum, the first is lighter and has a bigger range and is slower and sharp. It isn't cheap. The second is a heavy SOB, but fast, and keeps the same aperture throughout the range of focus. It's price will bring a tear to a glass eye.

The problem with any lens longer than 105mm is that it really becomes a problem to 'hand hold' it, even with VR turned on. It certainly can be done, but camera shake can and will be something that the photographer must be aware of while shooting. I'm not sure it's a beginner's lens. The lens would like a tripod at full extension, and then would like VR turned off.

The 18-105mm is a great choice.

My best,

Mike
    Man, I should have to pay you guys for this education! :D I am going to go for the 18-105.
    That's my decision, don't try to talk me out of it! LOL (unless you know of a really good deal on something better)!
    I'll add all the other stuff, including a prime and my husband will be happy that you guys have helped me keep my budget under control.....for the time being.

I'm going to shoot with what I'm getting and then figure out what I'll need after that ;)

• dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    I'm going to shoot with what I'm getting and then figure out what I'll need after that ;)
    Excellent. Start from there. There will always be another lens to buy (which may or may not be the right thing for you to do).

Have fun. Learn. Post to PAD!
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]

Have fun. Learn. Post to PAD!

Will do!!!
    Now, since all you guys are following my buying adventure, let me ask about bags! I am pretty certain I want a sling bag or backpack and there are a couple that I think are good deals on groupon right now. Any advise about these?

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-case-logic-dslr-camera-sling-backpack

or

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-targus-dslr-camera-sling-bag-backpack

• manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Buy the fastest card money can buy. Your buffer will appreciate it.
    Normally I would second this (with Extreme pro if you can swing it) but I am not sure for your type of shooting -portraits, etc.- that it is meaningful, only for CH mode action shots is it necessary.

Camera bags are tough. Go to a store and try them out after you get your camera. Fit it difficult to judge online. You can always order online afterwards, but get a sense of how the styles will hold your new camera.

I would also recommend against a kit lens. I do not touch either of the 2 kit type lenses I bought when I first got the 7000. But I understand you have to start somewhere and I did use the kit lenses a lot when I first got the camera. For portraits you are better off getting a cheap prime; IMHO you will likely enjoy the more professional look of a wide aperture as its something that your neighbors with their iPhones can't produce...