Torn between two cameras! Help appreciated for this total newbie!

Comments

• rbrylawskirbrylawski Posts: 222Member
    Congratulations on making a decision! I don't really agree with the post above about avoiding kit lenses. I started off almost 10 years ago with the 18 - 105 and while I did eventually sell it, it was a great first lens. You could certainly do a lot worse, that's for sure. Adding the 35mm F1.8 prime would be a great beginning for you.

As I mentioned yesterday camera bags may look great online, but if they don't offer room for expansion/growth, you'll be replacing it. I've had 3 bags in 3 years, so I didn't take my own advice. What I do agree with in the post above is to go try out some bags. Go to Best Buy if you have one near you. They have a decent selection of bags to choose from.

Again, congrats on a great choice in systems. You'll be very pleased with the D7100 for sure.
    Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......
  • skyeyes70skyeyes70 Posts: 66Member
    Woot! Woot!!! Doing the happy dance!!! I did it! I bought the D7100!!! I got the 18-105 and it came with MeFOTO BackPacker Tripod - after shipping, that was $1363.

Teehee!! Can't wait until it gets here! \:D/
    learning DSLR with D7100 18-105mm and 35mm F/1.8. I also love my little Nikon Coolpix AW100!
    flickr.com/photos/115637741@N02/
    imagesbypam.tumblr.com/ and driveby-shooting.tumblr.com/
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Bags…..as personal as our handbags. If there is any way to go to a store and try one out, this is best IMO. Almost every bag I have I can find a way to improve it. And, while the cost may be higher for some, I think getting a bag with good strap padding, the best possible construction, and high quality zippers is essential.

Here are some I would suggest as possibles:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/840044-REG/Lowepro_LP36412_PWW_Flipside_500_AW_Backpack.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/937757-REG/lowepro_lp36504_pww_flipside_sport_20l_aw.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/893435-REG/Lowepro_lp36465_0ww_Passport_Sling_II_Bag.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/676052-REG/Lowepro_LP36172_PEU_SlingShot_102_AW_Camera.html

Now, why have I shown all Lowepro…because I have one and have beaten it up, dragged it around by one strap, stuffed it until it was almost coming apart, and I have not had any issues with it. There are many others and maybe the bet way if one cannot try one out is to go to the webs sites like B & H, Adorama, and others and look at the customer reviews, especially the negative ones.

Good luck and congratulations on your new camera. We will be looking for some results on Photo-A-Day.

Msmoto, mod
    edited January 2014
    Woot! Woot!!! Doing the happy dance!!! I did it! I bought the D7100!!! I got the 18-105 and it came with MeFOTO BackPacker Tripod - after shipping, that was $1363.

Teehee!! Can't wait until it gets here! \:D/
    Woot Woot right back at 'ya. Great choice and one I know you'll be super thrilled with.

I agree with Msmoto's comments on Lowpro bags. My current bag is Lowepro and I think it's really well made and will last a long time (or at least until I buy more toys and need an even bigger one!).

This is one I currently am using. Lowepro Fastpack 250: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/fastpack-250-camera-backpack/1471252.p?id=1218261839259&skuId=1471252&st=lowepro camera bag&cp=1&lp=50

It also includes dedicated space for a laptop/iPad, which is very convenient.

Post edited by rbrylawski on
    Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Man, I should have to pay you guys for this education! :D I am going to go for the 18-105.
    That's my decision, don't try to talk me out of it! LOL (unless you know of a really good deal on something better)!
    I'll add all the other stuff, including a prime and my husband will be happy that you guys have helped me keep my budget under control.....for the time being.

I'm going to shoot with what I'm getting and then figure out what I'll need after that ;)

+1...good decision for the first lens. Spend the time and learn the D7100 and do read the manual. It's a great place to start.

D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Personally, I don't like either of your choices, but that's why there are so many on the market - because choice is highly personal. I prefer a shoulder bag because I can get gear in and out of the top of it without putting it down or struggling it on or off. it's usually about now somebody would say "Yebbut if you get the sling type it is OK for that" but I don't find so - the access to ALL the gear is limited. If I take all my gear, I have a Lowepro Magnum 200 AW but if I take just one body,one lens and a flash, I take my Toploader Pro AW.

Your mileage can & will vary!
    Always learning.
  • skyeyes70skyeyes70 Posts: 66Member
    So, looks like a Lowepro is the way to go! I'll pop in to Best Buy and take a look at their selection.

What about flashes? Do I need to get a pricey one for just starting out? I've had a friend advise to just get a $50 one and go from there. What do you guys thing?
    learning DSLR with D7100 18-105mm and 35mm F/1.8. I also love my little Nikon Coolpix AW100!
    flickr.com/photos/115637741@N02/
    imagesbypam.tumblr.com/ and driveby-shooting.tumblr.com/
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited February 2014
    TheSB400 and SB600 will work if you don't want to pay a lot of money. Otherwise the best is the SB910.
    There is a new SB300 that replaced the SB400.

Fixed typo...had D400 & D600. Sorry about that.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    (SB400 and SB600 are discontinued, but you can always look for used ...)

"Do I need to get a pricey one for just starting out? "
    Probably not. See this thread, for example - http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/1948/third-party-flashspeedlite-for-d3200
    There are other good threads too around here on flashes; find with the search feature.

When I first got my D5100, I started with and SB400 (so I could at least have a simple bounce flash), then picked up an SB700. When I figure out how the 700 works I may upgrade to a SB910, or may just get some third party kit put together.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    (SB400 and SB600 are discontinued, but you can always look for used ...)

"Do I need to get a pricey one for just starting out? "
    Probably not. See this thread, for example - http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/1948/third-party-flashspeedlite-for-d3200
    There are other good threads too around here on flashes; find with the search feature.

When I first got my D5100, I started with and SB400 (so I could at least have a simple bounce flash), then picked up an SB700. When I figure out how the 700 works I may upgrade to a SB910, or may just get some third party kit put together.
    You will have spent a lot of money to get to the SB-910. Why didn't you just buy that in the first place?

SkeEyes, I would look at the latest intoductory Nikon that gives you bounce flash, the SB-300 I believe. If you think you will upgrade in a year or two, save your money until then and use the in-camera flash.
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    @Skyeyes70: You will very soon want to bounce the flash. You will want a flash with as much power as you can afford. I would go for a SB700 or even the SB910.
    I have the SB-400 which has vertical only bounce. I use it with my Coolpix A when I want small and light bounce. Everything else, such as side bounce, off camera flash or lighting up a large building at night, I use my SB-910.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    When I started out with Nikon, I got an SB400 and used it for years. I sold it when I started getting SB700;s, but wish I'd kept it and bought another to use for a macro pair. I would say the SB400 will do a great job for a while. How long that while is, depends on where your journey takes you.
    Always learning.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member

You will have spent a lot of money to get to the SB-910. Why didn't you just buy that in the first place?
    Haha, point taken. Dollarwise I get it, but my intellect can absorb learning only so fast; the SB910 was $200 more and had a lot more capabilities (which my brain interpreted as "is a lot more complicated"). Besides, I am already starting to fill up a closet with tripods and camera bags. Aren't flashes (and flash accessories) the next step in my "photographer evolution"? 8-}
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
    edited February 2014
    Funny you should say that. I am looking at umbrellas, stands, a 2nd SB-910, wireless for off camera, an Icelight (thanks Pitchblack)etc. My "lighting" wishlist at B&H is already $2,000.

This hobby can really get out of control.
    Post edited by WestEndBoy on
    @Skyeyes70: You will very soon want to bounce the flash. You will want a flash with as much power as you can afford. I would go for a SB700 or even the SB910.
    I agree. EVERY time I've gone with something less, I wind up replacing it, which ultimately costs more. I have and really like my SB700. For me, it does just about everything I need a flash to do.

• TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    edited February 2014
    So, looks like a Lowepro is the way to go! I'll pop in to Best Buy and take a look at their selection.

What about flashes? Do I need to get a pricey one for just starting out? I've had a friend advise to just get a $50 one and go from there. What do you guys thing?
    I would personally I would start with the SB-700. Main things about it: 1) You know it will work exactly as Nikon describes. Sometimes 3-party flashes have are finicky, don't have all the options, or miss-fire. Few (if any) 3-party flashes work as well as Nikon's. 2) It will work perfectly if you start adding additional flashes with CLS. 3) Color of the light. There are many 3rd party flashes that have a "hue" to them and can add some odd color to the scene.

You can easily use a used SB-600, SB-800, SB-900 as well. Personally I have an old SB-600 (that I started with) 2 SB-900s and a Phottix Mitros. The Mitros works just the same as my SB-900s but for only $300 new ($400 with RF built in.) I think there are a few oddball options that are not included, but they are things I would never use otherwise I would know what they are. At this point I'm going to probably add another Mitros (with the RF) and then a couple of Lumopro 180 flashes that are only manual settings.

I keep thinking (mostly dreaming) that Nikon will release a New 9xx series flash, sometime soon and the SB-910s will go on sale. That said, I'm not buying a 910 until that time comes. The only real advantage it has over my SB-900 is that it doesn't overheat and shut down. (Mitros don't at all - why I'm adding those.)

I have a SB-400 and honestly I haven't used it in probably 4 years. It's mostly useless really and doesn't have any options to it. If you want to learn flash, don't get the SB-400.
    Post edited by TaoTeJared on
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • mikepmikep Posts: 280Member
    What about flashes? Do I need to get a pricey one for just starting out?
    absolutely not

just use the camera by itself at first, and wait until you are in a situation where you need a flash in order to get a particular picture that you could not get otherwise - and at that point you will hopefully know which one you will need

start out simple as possible and fill in the gaps as is needed
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    +1 @TTJ
    Go for the SB-700 as your first flash. The SB-910 has 20% more oomph, and zooms a bit further, but not worth the extra $250, unless you are a pro wedding photog. Get the 35mm f/1.8 DX with the money you save instead. Heck, I bought two SB-700s for only $150 more than a SB-910 which is way more useful, and let's you play with CLS. Have fun with your D7100!
    edited February 2014
    +1 @TTJ
    Go for the SB-700 as your first flash. The SB-910 has 20% more oomph, and zooms a bit further, but not worth the extra $250, unless you are a pro wedding photog. Get the 35mm f/1.8 DX with the money you save instead. Heck, I bought two SB-700s for only $150 more than a SB-910 which is way more useful, and let's you play with CLS. Have fun with your D7100!
    Yeah, I would rather have two SB-700s instead of one SB-910.

But I would even rather have two SB-910s.

I have heard that the SB-700 is simpler to operate. Not sure why.
    Post edited by WestEndBoy on
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    What about flashes? Do I need to get a pricey one for just starting out?
    absolutely not

just use the camera by itself at first, and wait until you are in a situation where you need a flash in order to get a particular picture that you could not get otherwise - and at that point you will hopefully know which one you will need

start out simple as possible and fill in the gaps as is needed
    Follow this advice. I have a 910 but unless you are doing studio work you are better off with just the camera for now.

That is a similar path that I am taking. I bought an SB-910 at the outset as I knew I would eventually need it and have used it occasionally. However, the learning curve on lighting is very long and steep. There is a valid argument to mastering the camera and basics of lighting first. This will take six months to a year. For example, I am approaching 20,000 actuations on my D800 and am only now starting to explore lighting seriously.
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    edited February 2014
    Hmmmm. The difference between blasting someone in the face with the on camera flash and using a SB 700 or SB900/SB910 in "automatic bounce mode" is like night and day. And if you read the manual that comes with the flash it takes less than 5 minutes to set up. The beauty of Nikon flashes? They do all the hard work for you.

Just set the flash to TTL BL - fire away. It is that easy to get started. From there you can make life more complicated if you want to :-) But that just adds to the fun.

Post edited by henrik1963 on
    Hmmmm. The difference between blasting someone in the face with the on camera flash and using a SB 700 or SB900/SB910 in "automatic bounce mode" is like night and day. And if you read the manual that comes with the flash it takes less than 5 minutes to set up. The beauty of Nikon flashes? They do all the hard work for you.

Just set the flash to TTL BL - fire away. It is that easy to get started. From there you can make life more complicated if you want to :-) But that just adds to the fun.

Yes, I agree with this. When I use flash I am usually bouncing it off something. However, the SB-910 and the SB-700 I suspect come with so many additional features, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Yes, I agree with this. When I use flash I am usually bouncing it off something. However, the SB-910 and the SB-700 I suspect come with so many additional features, this is just the tip of the iceberg.
    That's 3 of us who agree. The SB 700 or 910 are very intelligent in TTL mode. Just connect it and let the camera make the lighting decision. And either flash is way better than the teeny internal flash on the camera.