Firmware updates D7000

CaptMikeCaptMike Posts: 19Member
edited December 2012 in D90/D7x00
How many of you have completed the firmware update for the Distortion Control Data ?

Why or why not?
Post edited by CaptMike on

Comments

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    I come from the point-of-view, that if Nikon provided us with a firmware update, I just do it, even if the issue they are addressing has not been a problem for me. I do not see how having the latest firmware would be a determent to any gear I own. 
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • macsavageg4macsavageg4 Posts: 75Member
    I always keep my gear up to date with the firmware updates as they come out.  I have only had one device where this bit me in the bud for doing that but it was a cheap router and reinstalling the firmware update cleared it.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    After Canon severely screwed up a firmware update I leave it a week or two before upgrading then - as Golf said - I just do it.
    Always learning.
  • rschnaiblerschnaible Posts: 308Member
    They are mini computers, so an update is required when they come out :)
  • CaptMikeCaptMike Posts: 19Member

I don't think that I would go as far to say that they are "required"

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I agree with spraynpray, be cautious with new firmware updates until they are a few weeks old and people have time to see if there are any issues. I updated the firmware of my D700 to the newest version earlier this year and have had intermittent (random) battery issues ever since.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • rschnaiblerschnaible Posts: 308Member

I don't think that I would go as far to say that they are "required"

Required, maybe too strong of a word, but let your electronics go for an extended period without these and , well you end up with something that does not function as it was meant to do so... Kind of like people who do not do their CEU's :)

• CoventryphotogCoventryphotog Posts: 4Member
    Not updated the D7000 - the issues addressed did ot affect us - if it aint broke blah blah blah.....:-)
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    No D7000, but I think the most important part of the distortion control updates are if they add new lenses and you have the lens.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • DouxBokehDouxBokeh Posts: 7Member
    I have updated the firmware for the Distorsion Control Data on my D90 two weeks ago (since I have 7 Nikon lenses) ...but by a Nikon dealer in Montréal and for 14,95 $ CAN (I didn't have the guts to do it by myself !)
    Let there be light !
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    I have yet to do one and at the moment probably should. My D7000 hates my 16 gig cards for some odd reason...
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
    I think that is a known bug.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited December 2012
    I think that is a known bug.
    That's weird - I use a couple in mine without any problem.  Maybe they fixed it in the update I did a week after it came out?
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    My mistake, it is the D700 (not D7000) that is known to not play nice with some 16GB cards.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited February 2013
    I have yet to do one and at the moment probably should. My D7000 hates my 16 gig cards for some odd reason...
    What type of SD cards are you using? Currently I'm using a Sandisk 16 gig Extreme class 10 card and no problems yet.

Hmm, looks like I'll be updating in a bit. Every lens I own is on that list.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • GhostRider117GhostRider117 Posts: 29Member
    edited February 2013
    How many of you have completed the firmware update for the Distortion Control Data ?

Why or why not?
    I left it a couple of weeks just to see if there was no huge bug report (you know... like everytime Apple updates iOS...), then I updated.

Even if I do not use in-camera distortion control, I don't see the point in not updating. So +1 to spraynpray

About 16GB cards, I use Sandisk Extreme Pro 16GB, never had the slightest issue either. About that card, on the other hand: it wasn't necessary, the card is rated at 95MB/s, but the D7000 seems to max out at 30 MB/s when writing, whatever the card... All I gained is download speed (via card reader, USB3).
    Post edited by GhostRider117 on