Problems with D7100

djromanofficialdjromanofficial Posts: 5Member
edited January 2014 in D90/D7x00
So I am a concert photographer, and I recently upgraded from a D80 to the D7100. I first used it for a show twice this week, and both times it was extremely lagged. For instance, when I take a photo, it takes up to a full minute for it to be displayed on the LCD, especially when doing it in bursts. I'm not sure if I have a defective model or if there is something up with the software. I have two memory cards in, but do not have it set on the backup mode.

Help! I have another show at the end of the weekend and need this to be fixed!
Tagged:

Comments

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    1) Format both memory cards on the D7100 to insure they are set correctly.
    2) Make sure you have the latest firmware for your D7100

Question: Who makes your memory card and what is the speed on them?
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    +1 Golf. Also, what are your settings? Jpeg, raw, both? If jpeg there are several different questions I would ask next.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited February 2014
    What setting are your hi ISO NR and Long Exposure NR at? Does your display have 'job nr' displayed during the delay?

Cany ou duplicate the delay in low light at home?
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • 1) Format both memory cards on the D7100 to insure they are set correctly.

My firmware is up to date, and both memory cards were formatted. The speed is 45 mb/s.
    What setting are your hi ISO NR and Long Exposure NR at? Does your display have 'job nr' displayed during the delay?

I can duplicate at home, and the issue is that the screen stays black, the little green LED stays lit.

+1 Golf. Also, what are your settings? Jpeg, raw, both? If jpeg there are several different questions I would ask next.
    Raw

1) Try a different memory card, than the ones you have.
    2) Take the lens off and take a picture and see if the you get the same result.

Did you buy the D7100 new or second hand? How long have you had it? If new, take it to the place of purchase and show them the symptoms. Most likely they will replace it. If used, send it to Nikon for repair.

D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • 1) Try a different memory card, than the ones you have.
    2) Take the lens off and take a picture and see if the you get the same result.

Did you buy the D7100 new or second hand? How long have you had it? If new, take it to the place of purchase and show them the symptoms. Most likely they will replace it. If used, send it to Nikon for repair.

Thanks for the advice, Ill get a different memory card.

I bought the camera new as part of a bundle at Costco (kind of guilty here). Could that be the problem? Haha
    edited February 2014
    No, the bundle from Costco is a great setup. If the memory card does not solve the issue for you; Costco will....they have a great return/exchange policy...I shop there all the time :D
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    1) Format both memory cards on the D7100 to insure they are set correctly.

My firmware is up to date, and both memory cards were formatted. The speed is 45 mb/s.

I can duplicate at home, and the issue is that the screen stays black, the little green LED stays lit.

Raw

You didn't answer my questions. ???
    Always learning.
  • CoastalconnCoastalconn Posts: 527Member
    Buy Sandisk extreme 95 mb/s cards.
    @Coastalconn: That may help a little, but I use 45MB/s cards and don't get any problems at all. I think he has Hi ISO NR set hi and long exposure NR on. Even so, IME to get a delay of a minute, he would need an exposure of a minute so it may not be that either but it is hard to help somebody who doesn't read the posts that people write to help.

@djromanofficial: As well as answering the questions I asked before, what do the exposures look like when they eventually finish processing?

Always learning.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Shooting in the dark (pun intended), make sure to run a test after each one so we know what fixed it.
    1) pull the battery for 10min
    2) two button reset (there are about 1million combinations of settings for these darn things)
    3) try different lenses or reseat the one you have
    4) format both cards in camera and remove/re-insert
    5) insert only one card, then swap
    6) make sure you are RAW only (not raw+jpeg)
    7) as s-n-p says, turn off both noise reduction settings (high-ISO and Long Exposure) and/or look through the viewfinder when this is happening to see if "job NR" is displayed
    8) bash it against the table a few times
    9) go to Costco and swap it for a new one (buy the large bottle of Grey Goose while you are there)
    10) go home and drown your sorrows (okay just kidding on this one and #8)
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Oh I love #8 and 10. :D

Time to get a glass of wine and turn on the TV to watch the Super Bowl.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Return the camera to Costco and get a new one……before beating it against the table, preferably. :))
    Msmoto, mod
  • michael66michael66 Posts: 231Member
    edited February 2014
    @djromanoffical - I found I had a similar issue with my D7100, although not as severe. The firmware is the latest; C – 1.01, L – 1.009. I use Sandisk Extreme Pro ( 95 mb/s ) and Lexar Professional ( 90 mb/s ), that are formatted in the camera, and usually shoot raw and large jpeg.

Deciding to test spraynpray's suggestions, I switched to raw only and set ISO NR and Long Exposure NR to off. Well, he didn't really say to turn those settings to off, did he? Although I suspect this would reduce the amount of time the camera needs to process an image. No?

Exposure was manually set to 1/1000, f/11 & 100 ISO. In addition, the following was done; the release mode was set to CH, a fresh battery was inserted and finally a Lexar SD was formatted in the camera. When you aim, you can see a r(emaining) count of 6.

Pressing and holding down the shutter release gave me six shots in rapid succession, all in about one second. There was a slight hesitation before successive shots fire off at about one a second with the r count toggling between '0' and '1'. However, it does seem to keep going without abatement. I stopped after 20 exposures. Switching to just large jpeg, the camera was able to sustain a multi-frame per second rate for an extended period of time. Any longer and I might as well be shooting a movie. No actual timings were made. Additional testing was done with a different battery, lens and SD card. Same results. At no time did I see 'job nr' in the display. I get that only when I try to shoot raw and jpeg.

The only thing that seems to improve performance, is to shoot jpeg only. Would you consider this the expected behavior for this camera body? I didn't. I expected to be able to should raw at a sustained rate of 6 fps. Unreasonable? Perhaps. Regardless, I am happy with the camera, but would still love to hear if you've gotten better performance and how.
    Post edited by michael66 on
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    edited February 2014

The only thing that seems to improve performance, is to shoot jpeg only. Would you consider this the expected behavior for this camera body? I didn't. I expected to be able to shoot raw at a sustained rate of 6 fps. Unreasonable? Perhaps. Regardless, I am happy with the camera, but would still love to hear if you've gotten better performance and how.
    That is why everyone is waiting on the D400. To my knowledge there is no Nikon camera that can sustain 6fps of 24MP pictures. This is what everyone is hoping the D400 will do if not more (like 10-12fps sustained). Personally I only shoot RAW (why waste the processor time on a jpeg in camera?), use the extreme pro cards only, and shoot in 1.3x crop mode. Using those techniques, you can get sustained RAW captures at 3+ fps continuously. Granted this is not enough to capture Olympic action. However, it gives pics about the same size of the older D7000 at more than twice the sustained fps capture rate in RAW.

If you want faster than 3+ fps then you have to do JPEG only, or pony up for a D4/D4s to shoot RAW.
    Post edited by manhattanboy on