Battery for A D3?

richierorichiero Posts: 18Member
edited February 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
The batteries for my D3 are about done. I really hate spending $120 each for new ones, given that Nikon has made them obsolete. I see that Watson makes a knock off. Does anyone have any experience with that brand or any other reputable replacement? Thanks in advance

Rich

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited February 2014
    When the cheap battery fries the circuitry in your D3 or leaks/catches fire/explodes and destroys the camera, how much have you saved?

I love to drive my Ferrari real fast, but I just can't afford the gas...
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • richierorichiero Posts: 18Member
    I'm well aware of those risks. That is why I asked the question. You have had experience with cheap batteries? If you have or have information that will me make a decision, let us know. If not, thanks for the advice.
    I have experience with cheap batteries in general. I wouldn't put them in an expensive piece of gear that I was relying on (pacemaker, emergency beacon, high-end camera). Just my opinion, of course YMMV.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Always budget for premium gas when buying a Ferrari.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @richiero:

I don't directly know anybody who has had a problem with a third party battery, although most people will give the responses you have already had usually based on seeing suspect youtube vids and reading internet 'facts'. What I can tell you is that a friend of mine just bought a HAHNEL battery for his Canon because the Canon one only seem to last a few years then go useless. The Hahnel lasts as long as a new Canon battery, works fine and cost a third of the money the Canon one would have.

I would say that if you buy it from a reputable dealer (Adorama, B&H etc. (assuming you are in the USA)), then you will be OK. Ask them to confirm compatibility when you buy it if it helps.
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I've had mixed results with third party batteries. One fake (made to look exactly like an OEM) was terrible, while a reputable third party battery maker's battery has proven to be flawless.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    I've had mixed results with third party batteries. One fake (made to look exactly like an OEM) was terrible, while a reputable third party battery maker's battery has proven to be flawless.
    Is you experience with third party batteries, camera related? If so, is it proper on this forum to give product names and internet addresses of the product?

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Yes, I was speaking in terms of third party DSLR batteries.

As for commercial links, they are nto permitted on the site, unless they are site sponsor. I think it's okay to give the name, but no link. (If not mods can feel free to remove the name). I have had a good experience with Upstart third party batteries. They are a North American company that orders batteries packs from the same factories that camera and mainstream notebook makers (Canon/Nikon/Apple/HP) do.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    The Watson is sold by B & H along with the Pearstone.
    Msmoto, mod
    From the specs, the Watson is 2400mAh where as the Nikon is 2500mAh. For the price difference of $60, for a camera that is still worth four grand, I'd consider a used EN-EL4a from B&H (they have a 9 rated one for $79) before a knock-off.
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    I always use Nikon batteries. But realistically, has there ever been any fire, leak, explosion or any other type of camera damage due to a defective Watson or Pearstone battery?

Nikon on the other hand has had to recall batteries due to safety problems in more than one occasion.

Watson and Pearstone are OEM batteries made/sold by the same parent company (Gradus) which I believe has a very close relationship with B&H -- e.g., either B&H owns Gradus or they both have the same owners or have overlapping owners, etc. Hence you will never find a Watson battery at Adorama, for example.
    Thanks. I've done some further research, and found that the Watson Pearstone are the best rated third party batteries