Need a bag!

skyeyes70skyeyes70 Posts: 66Member
edited February 2014 in General Discussions
I am having trouble figuring out a backpack for my new camera!
Here's what I've got: D7100 w/ 18-105mm. I will be getting (duh...a bag), 35mm f/1.8, and SB700.
I also have the MeFOTO BackPacker tripod. Of course, I will not always be carrying it.

I will also need a some space for various cords/cables/chargers (probably), my wallet, cell phone, and lipstick. ;)

Looking into my crystal ball, I see that I will end up with another lens or two and probably a new laptop because Lightroom is bogging down on my laptop. However, I don't want to lug all that around if I'm just going out to shoot locally. So. for now, I realize I may want a larger bag for all my stuff later down the road, but what would you recommend to just hold the basics?

Oh, and I'm really thinking I want a backpack and would like one with side entry. I would be open to other styles depending on the pros and cons. I'm not planning on carrying my purse when I'm carrying the camera bag.

Thanks!
learning DSLR with D7100 18-105mm and 35mm F/1.8. I also love my little Nikon Coolpix AW100!
flickr.com/photos/115637741@N02/
imagesbypam.tumblr.com/ and driveby-shooting.tumblr.com/

Comments

• tiCreativeMediatiCreativeMedia Posts: 81Member
    I got the ThinkTank Streetwalker... that fits the 7100, ALL my lenses (35mm on the camera, 10-24, 24-70, 70-200 and 105mm prime), some filters, batteries, sling strap, remote, and I can hand my tripod off the back of it. I would have gotten the Streetwalker pro, which has just a touch more room and I think better way to carry a tripod, but they didn't have it in stock... Everybody at the camera store said that they loved the think tank stuff.
    D7100, 35mm 1:1.8G, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S DX, 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Bags come in two general styles:
    -Pack a lot of stuff to carry it
    -Have easy access for shooting

You will find some bags claim to do both, but don't be fooled. There is always a compromise between protecting your equipment and making it kinder on your back & neck versus having your camera available for easy access for shooting.

Think about what type of pictures you will be taking and then buy accordingly. Are you the type of shooter who takes a couple photos then moves to get another vantage point and takes more photos versus one that finds a spot and likes to set things up perhaps on a tripod and shoot from that one spot. Your answer to this question more than anything should help you decide which type of bag is needed.

The second major thing to consider is how the bag looks; by that I mean do you want something that is camera bag black with labels and other protective materials on the outside of the bag, or would you prefer something that in unmarked and looks more like a regular cloth bag to help ward off potential thieves.

Your answers to these two questions will help you narrow your choices. Lastly, be prepared for sticker shock. Good camera bags are sought after and priced accordingly. There is also the option of make-it-yourself out of a suitable bag that you like. Think Tank mentioned above is a great brand, but again be prepared for sticker shock.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Are you sure you want a backpack? Your gear will be inaccessible. I use a shoulder bag (see my signature for which ones) and balance it with the camera on the other shoulder.
  • skyeyes70skyeyes70 Posts: 66Member
    edited February 2014
    @manhattenboy, good things to think about.

While I'm not doing much (if any) nature hiking and I'm certain that I will not be climbing any mountains, I think when I'm out and about, it will be mostly in the city and I will be taking both kinds of pictures. There will be times where I linger and shoot from one spot and other times that I will walk about. I don't see myself using the tripod when I'm out and about at least in this stage of my photography.

As far as looks go, I'm not terribly concerned with having marked bag. I've carried a designer purse with more than everything inside my purse and I've carried just a purse. More importantly, I also carry personal protection (and I'm not talking condoms).

I've learned in the world of Nikon already that there is sticker shock! LOL Somethings are already budgeting into my 5 year plan ;) Camera bag is an immediate need.

@jshickel, I'll take a look at your bag. I'm not 100% on a backpack. I was looking at the Lowepro Fastpack since those are backpacks but also offer side access. I'm not sure I am wanting a shoulder bag though. I'm thinking comfort wise, they would be a pain. I'm just basing this on how heavy carrying a purse on my shoulder can be!...checked out your bags and WOW! Yeah, nice, but a tad out of my price range. I guess I should add that I'm hoping for less that $100 and maybe even score a deal on something used.
    Post edited by skyeyes70 on
    learning DSLR with D7100 18-105mm and 35mm F/1.8. I also love my little Nikon Coolpix AW100!
    flickr.com/photos/115637741@N02/
    imagesbypam.tumblr.com/ and driveby-shooting.tumblr.com/
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited February 2014
    Are you sure you want a backpack? Your gear will be inaccessible. .
    Have look at the Lowepro flipside range. I have a 400AW (camera plus 3 lenses flash and lightweight jacket ) and the smaller, lighter 300 for everyday use

http://www.lowepro.com/flipside

I'm not sure I am wanting a shoulder bag though. I'm thinking comfort wise, they would be a pain -

correct _ shoulder bags are literally a pain in the neck

Post edited by sevencrossing on
    yeah, Mine's a backpack... You'll look at that bag and will not believe it fits all that stuff in there, but it does...
    D7100, 35mm 1:1.8G, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S DX, 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
    I also have a lowe pro sling bag for short walks, and when I know what I want for lenses... that has the side opening and is awesome for city walks, short hikes, etc.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,336Member
    Thinktank Retrospective 7 shoulder bag here. Balances especially nicely weightwise when I've got the Retrospective across my left hip and a second camera on a Black Rapid strap that rests along my right hip, ready to grab and shoot.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    edited February 2014
    @manhattenboy, good things to think about.

I think when I'm out and about, it will be mostly in the city and I will be taking both kinds of pictures. There will be times where I linger and shoot from one spot and other times that I will walk about. I don't see myself using the tripod when I'm out and about at least in this stage of my photography.
    To meet the sub $100 price point, you may want to consider a make-it-yourself option. After you get your camera, consider going to look at regular bags and find one that easily fits your camera+lens attached. Also look at camera bag inserts on Amazon or similar site that you can purchase; for an even more handyman type project, protective foam that you can buy is also an option. I have one bag that I use for really long lenses (attached to the camera) that I lined with thick foam on the bottom and put a camera bag insert on top of the foam to help hold the lens and camera upright away from the walls. Similar to the poster above, I too have a Think Tank Retrospective (10 version), but the make-it-yourself option works surprisingly well and causes me to wonder why I paid so much for my Think Tank and other camera bags...
    Post edited by manhattanboy on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I have had bags from 4 different manufactures and the ones I still have are LowePro and THinkTank. They are good bags. Take your time picking out your bags, lots to look at. Again watch out for sticker shock. I kept one of my LowePro large back packs for 3 years and got 70% of my money back. These bags are built like tanks.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |