What to shoot?

snorbosnorbo Posts: 28Member
edited February 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I recently purchased a Nikon D7100 and a 18-140 mm f3.5-5.6 DX VR lens. I also have a Sony A77 with a 50 mm f 1.8, 18-55 mm f 3.5-5.6 and a
55 - 200 mm f 4 - 5.6 lenses. I have a speed-light for the Sony but not the Nikon. I have tripods and remotes for both cameras and good camera bags as well. I have some spare time and thought it would be nice to get some good photos but being -23C here im at a loss as to what i can take pictures of and i need the practice as im just getting started (and really enjoying this hobby). I have very active children in dance, indoor sports and concerts but have been struggling to take good shots due to the challenges of low light situations and being a fair long distance from my subjects. I have a camera store that lets me (borrow/buy and bring back with no questions asked for 14 days anything they have). So that being said i have been thinking about some macro photography and indoor sports photography as i can try the lenses. Considering what i have and my potential photo settings is there some recommendations for lenses and subjects to shoot on boring cold days.
Nikon D7100 (Gone), Sony A77, 18-140 mm f3.5-5.6, 50 mm f1.8, 18 - 55 mm f3.5 - 5.6, 55 - 200 mm f4 - 5.6, Lowpro bags, tripods and speedlights..cleaning assories ect.

Comments

• ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    My winter photography this year is mostly of food in a studio setting, with an occasional jaunt in the cold for wintery landscapes. I always do less photography in the winter.
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
  • snorbosnorbo Posts: 28Member
    Thanks for the comment. Does one need a macro lens for that or am i fine with what i have?
    Nikon D7100 (Gone), Sony A77, 18-140 mm f3.5-5.6, 50 mm f1.8, 18 - 55 mm f3.5 - 5.6, 55 - 200 mm f4 - 5.6, Lowpro bags, tripods and speedlights..cleaning assories ect.
  • ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    With food photography you generally want a 'normal' range lens (around 50mm), because distortion and compression can be unflattering, so you should be good with either camera and the lenses you have. There are always exceptions to the rule, too. I'm trying to make food look normal. :D
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
    obviously my wife does not cook your food...there is nothing normal about burnt!
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I might suggest going to a particular venue you want to shoot, take one lens along and shoot a few hundred images, then edit down to about ten. In the process you will find out what limitations the lens had and what you might want next time.

While I could suggest purchasing a 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII Nikkor for the dance, using ISO 6400 with no flash, and shooting until you understand how to do this, I think you need to do your trials with what you have, and determine what the problems are, bring them back to the forum with the image, Exif data, and ask a question about the process.
    Msmoto, mod
    Thanks for the comment. I have done a fair amount of shooting with the lens's i have. I have looked several times at the 70-200 mm 2.8 lens in both sony and nikon flavors. Im thinking of going with the Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 just because i think in the future the lens will be worth more to me. I struggle similarly as others with either to dark of an image or motion blur...I have been trying to keep my ISO as low as possible but realize that im going to have to crank on it to get a good in focus image. Since i have never experimented with a high end lens as suggested im thinking of picking one up and see if it will meet my expected quality over and above what i have been shooting with.
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    edited February 2014
    Hi,

@snorbo

You might want to consider ordering a reversing ring for the 50mm lens and seeing if Micro is your thing. I like Micro work, and if your do, the D7100 has a motor and you can use older lenses. Mine are from the 80's.

A flash with an extension will really help, too.

May not be the best example, but it is a photo you can do at home with not a lot. You can do this with the 50mm and a reverse ring (it goes on the front of the 50mm and reverses the lens to the camera) and use a household lamp as a light.

It's a toothbrush.

The micro does give you a different perspective to view the world.

While I was writing this, I see that Msmoto suggested the 70-200 lens - from my view, I wouldn't. I'd opt for the 105mm at f2.8 on a DX camera, which would give you a 150mm perspective (although without zoom). A lot would depend upon what you ultimately shoot. I only shot sports when I was assigned to shoot them, but I don't have that lens and don't miss it.

My best,

Mike
    Post edited by MikeGunter on
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    Here is a great indoor photo opportunity: portraits. I do a bit of travel photography and a lot of industrial work. But I wanted to try taking pictures of people, so I volunteered to take pictures of everyone at our small church for a pictorial directory. It was a great learning experience for me, very much appreciated by the church, and I now have a new found respect for people who take pictures of other people, especially family portraits. (By the end of the day I was telling moms:" don't tell your children to smile. I'll do that: you concentrate on smiling yourself!") Now I know a thing or two about portraiture, and next year I will be better prepared and do a better job.

If you don't belong to a place of worship, try volunteering to photograph at the local retirement home or senior activity center. I'm sure it would be welcome.

My photographic philosophy is that if I don't record it, it will cease to exist.

Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Winter= indoor portraits.
    Personally I like to hybernate and watch non stop tv/netflix etc.
    I also prefer to use this time to catch on my personal stuff and edit photos,re-visit the archives, delete the marginal photos, fix any issues with the computers and update my website.
    I lost a month due to health and other family stuff but I did have a few portraits accomplished.

Try something like a coceptual theme.
  • PaRealtorPaRealtor Posts: 95Member
    edited February 2014
    Snorbo, you should join a photo club!!!
    Just google photo groups and your zip code AND (here at least) so many show up! ;;)
    They way, you can find a club that might interest you. I've already joined two.
    Post edited by PaRealtor on
  • jimojimo Posts: 2,532Member
    I shot year around, the only thing that stops me is a heavy rain. I have found that some of my best pictures were taken in lousy weather. I just have to make sure that I am prepared for the present weather conditions.
    Thanks for all the replies. Ya i kinda got the winter blues but i shall triumph it and carry on. I'm going to try some unique photo shoots like candles and kids doing crazy stuff. Maybe even some burnt food! Its also a good time for me to learn these new cameras a bit so when the time comes I'm prepared to shoot the scene with the best possible settings. Hpefully we get some nice clear evenings and i can try some night sky shots.
    Snorbo, you should join a photo club!!!
    Just google photo groups and your zip code AND (here at least) so many show up! ;;)
    They way, you can find a club that might interest you. I've already joined two.
    I have checked into that a bit. We only have 2 here and they only have meetings once a month..they looked boring (poorly ran).
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    Grey winter settings make good backgrounds for colored subjects. Pull out 1-2 flashes with colored gels and go out.
  • SquamishPhotoSquamishPhoto Posts: 608Member
    go to model mayhem and shoot an aspiring model.
    +1 This is a great suggestion. Think about looking up make up and hair people on there too.
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    You can always find stuff around the house to take pictures of. A macro lens would help that. I kind of hole up for the winter and don't shoot much...especially this year with the not so nice weather we have had.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
    Ya crappy weather. Seen some cool stuff by that Evan Sharboneau...could maybe try some of his stuff.