Newbie: D5200 or the D3300?

slyronitslyronit Posts: 6Member
edited February 2014 in D5x00
Hello everyone

I used my friend's D3100 on a trip recently, and fell in love with DSLRs. Now that I have saved up enough to buy my own, I am confused between the D3300 (to be launched in the next few days here) and the D5200 (going heavily discounted here in India). From what I have researched-

The D5200 has the more advanced AF system (39/9 points vs 11/1 on the D3300)
The D3300 has a newer sensor and image processor

Apart from this, I don't care much for things like HDR and Panorama. Which one do you think I should go for, considering that they would both sell for approximately the same price?

Image quality is top priority for me. Are there other differences I didn't notice?

Tagged:

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Take a look at similar threads slyronit - the questions and advice will be the same. Here we go:

What kind of things do you want to photograph? Do you have any other DSLR experience? Do you have any photography experience? We need to know what you know and what you what to to with the new camera. Ignore advice to buy,buy, buy, take on board advice which is reasoned and makes sense to you.
    Always learning.
  • slyronitslyronit Posts: 6Member
    Hi spraynpray,

Thanks for your reply. Here're the answers

1. Mostly landscape photography, not much photographing people.
    2. Yes, I used my friend's D3100 on my last trip. Photos here
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/slyronit/collections/72157632950299396/
    3. Yes, have used a PnS for years, though haven't played much with controls since I used my friend's DSLR

The D5200 or the D3300 are what I can afford with an 18-55 for now. Will get a prime lens a few months down the line. Not interested in zoom much
    OK, that give me a good idea of your expertise and so I would recommend the D3300. It usually pays to go with the latest sensor and processing engine in terms of best hi-iso noise performance. Don't worry about the focus system differences for landscape work, it is less important than if you said you wanted to photograph birds in flight or sports. Get a decent tripod before any other lenses for low-light landscapes.

Don't feel inferior about the 18-55VR, it is a fine lens for what you are doing.

With that gear you will be able to take great pics and don't forget to post them here on PAD as India is a seriously photogenic country.

Good luck!
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The differences between the D3300 and D5200 are so small it's hardly even worth comparing. Unless you need the flippy screen, go for the D3300.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    +1 for PB_PM recommendation.

I recommended the D3100 to my son 2+ years ago and last year the D3200 to my daughter. The D3300 is an excellent DSLR that you can grow into. You just can't go wrong with the D3300.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    My son will get the latest version of the D3xxx when he outgrows his Nikon 1 in my signature in a few years. It is a great introductory camera. The low light capability is a major upgrade, even more than the upgrade from DX to FX. The CX sensor is basically useless in low or medium light without a flash.

So you will not go wrong with the D3300. The only thing that you are getting with the D5200 is the ability to auto-focus with non AF-S lenses and more buttons (sounds trivial, but actually quite valuable).
    edited February 2014
    @jshickele The D5200 does not have the screw to focus AF/AF-D lenses. You need to step up to the D7000/D7100 to get that.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    Under "Lens compatibility at a glance" for the D5200 and D5300, the Nikon website says:

AF-S and AF-I CPU lenses only

The D3300 says:
    AF-S Lens Required for Autofocus

The D7100 says:
    AF-S or AF lenses fully compatible
    Metering with AI lenses

So it will auto-focus with the newest AF-S lenses and some of the newer AF-D lenses. I am not sure which ones exactly, but if this is a concern (I doubt it) then you will need to do your research.

Thanks for pointing that out PB_PM.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited February 2014

3. Yes, have used a PnS for years,
    The D3300 is smaller and lighter than the D5200
    one disadvange of DSLR can be they are bigger and heavier than P&S

as others have said, I would go for the latest sensor

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • slyronitslyronit Posts: 6Member
    edited February 2014
    Thanks all, The D3300 it is.

Just hope it releases soon here in India, I am running out of patience and have been tempted to almost buy the 5200 a few times.
    Post edited by slyronit on
  • pizzathiefpizzathief Posts: 24Member
    I would recommend the 5300 over the 5200, but that's just my opinion. No optical low-pass filter is kind of nice to have in the 5300.
    [Nikon D5300][Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II][Tamron AF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 LD][Tamron SP AF 2x Pro Teleconverter] Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/119130093@N07/
  • ben_dmbben_dmb Posts: 87Member
    edited February 2014
    Hey, I've just got myself a 5200 as my second body for walk around shooting. I am impressed by the IQ of this little camera. But you need to pair it with some good glass to get the best of that sensor. So, my opinion is that either of those two cameras are going to be a good start for your DSLR world. Even the 5300 is a good start but I would not pay the extra $ just yet. Good luck.
    Post edited by ben_dmb on
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    But you need to pair it with some good glass .
    out of interest; do you think Nikon currently make any bad glass?

Not bad, but for a 25 MP crop sensor that old kit 18-55 just is not enough to get maximum IQ out of a photograph. I really hope the new 18-55 can resolve more detail and better IQ in general. The old one is a pretty good lens in good lighting situations but above 800 ISO it starts to show its weaknesses.
    I shot my new 5200 with a Tamron 24-70 VC, USD at 4000 ISO and it definitely makes the difference. But Tamron is a heavy lens and contradicts my reason of having a light camera with a good-light weight lens just for walking around.

out of interest; do you think Nikon currently make any bad glass?
    Besides the 28mm F2.8D I cannot think of any current run products that I would consider outright bad.
    Actually this makes me thinking (maybe I should start a new thread) - what would it make for a nice lens for a 5200 other than the kit one, in the same focal lens range 18-55? Something with a better IQ and as light weight as possible. And I am talking zooms not primes. Something just good for getting snap shots of a girlfriend shopping, or cooking or just walking around. All this implies different lighting situations but because we live almost at the North Pole most of the shots are indoor, dim and low light.
    It is difficult in a zoom and perhaps impossible if your expectations are really high. That is one reason I like primes. Light weight is another.
    Yes, I found out that there is not to much to choose from out there. Any decent mid-range zoom is not light. Maybe the new 18-55 VR II is different.
    Then buy the 35mm DX prime and zoom with your feet. You are already comfortable with the weight of that zoom and the 35mm prime has great IQ, is light and fast and is dirt cheap.
    edited February 2014
    I've actually just sold mine. While it is a super sharp and pleasant lens, 35mm and 50 mm primes are not my thing. I still have a 50mm 1.8 D for my FX camera but I do not use it. Or I should say that I am using it on the 5200 and manual focus it just to fine tune my skills. If I were to get a prime I would go with a Tamron 90 mm VC, USD 1:1 Macro for portrait shooting with both FX and DX cameras.
    Post edited by ben_dmb on
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    What about the 17-55mm f/2-8G?
    17-55 f/2.8 G from Nikon is an impressive performer only that is on the heavy side (755g) and to me it seems to be too expensive.
    I was actually looking at this Tamron SP 17-50 mm F/2.8 Di-II LD XR Aspherical IF Lens. It seems to be very close the Nikon version in performance, but cheaper and lighter (434g).
    edited February 2014
    I had the same dilemma but went for the 17-55 Nikon after ordering and returning the Tamron. It is heavy, but built as a pro lens is supposed to be which the Tamron isn't. I only wish it had VR though (should have for the price).
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    Could you detail a bit your experience with the Tamron?
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    What about the 17-55mm f/2-8G?
    The Nikon 17-55mm is heavy but the image quality is excellent. Had mine for over six years and it's a terrific lens. When I use the lens hood it really is big but that hood helps protect the front element when shooting in crowds.

I used one of the Tamron wide angle lens during a photo workshop for an hour...no thank you, I prefer the Nikon. Much better IQ and it felt better than the Tamron...zoom collar and focus ring. I have shot my Nikon in rain and snow in 10 degree weather and never had an issue.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |