Cameras Next?

WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
edited February 2014 in Other Manufacturers

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Unlikely, since the imaging division actually made money last year, vs the PC business.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Read the following article about Sony:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/02/06/272471583/sony-will-shed-5-000-jobs-and-pc-business
    Most of the consumer Sony PC business was via laptops... but those have been slaughtered to pieces by tablets and Sony really does not have a viable tablet business. I think it is a smart move for Sony, however, they should move some of those people from the computer business into the phone division and see if they produce better phones and phablets because that division is no where near a market leader. They have creative people, as Sony was one of the first companies to produce UMPCs and we all appreciate their innovation in imaging technology (like the D800 sensor or the FF mirrorless A7r).
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    One point of fact, Nikon designed the D800 sensor, Sony just stamped it out in their Fab. I doubt the Sony engineers had anything to do with it, in fact they are probably prohibited from looking at any of the designs.

I will miss the VAIO systems, they were always very well engineered. But as you point out, PCs are going the way of the dodo. Very interesting quote from the article, and a fact I was not aware of:

Moody's credit rating agency downgraded Sony's credit to junk status in January.

That's the whole bloody company mind you, not just a division. This means they will have a very hard time borrowing money, even with today's 0.0% interest rates.
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    Moody's downgraded Sony? Bah. If I was the chairman of Sony, I'd go on TV and announce I was downgrading Moody's.

"Moody's: We brought you the financial crisis by rating horribly toxic mortgage-backed securities as Triple-A. But wait, there's more!"
  • birdmanbirdman Posts: 115Member
    Laptops are going away. After tablets, it will be holographic checkbook-sized devices that lets you enjoy all of your many Facebook "friends" and never have to physically interact with them. Wait...we're almost there.
    ;-0 Just a little Tuesday morning humor
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    edited February 2014
    Laptops are going away. After tablets, it will be holographic checkbook-sized devices that lets you enjoy all of your many Facebook "friends" and never have to physically interact with them. Wait...we're almost there.
    ;-0 Just a little Tuesday morning humor
    More truth here than many would care to admit.
    Post edited by Beso on
    Occasionally a decent image ...
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    In the short run, it is the end of laptops as we know them. The tablets also have a relatively short-lived future. The following "big hype" will be wearable technology.

I work int he technology field, and that is all we talk about in the HW space. More importantly, the "internet of things" is gaining traction, and everything, read EVERYTHING, will be hooked up, with lots and lots of cloud based solutions.

So for cameras; I think we need to accept smaller, connected, instant, and with built-in functionality which means we can circumvent the laptop/tablet all together.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The wearable stuff is just a pain. I haven't worn a watch in years because I hate having it on, and I only put glasses on when I need them. I cannot see smart watches or smart glasses being all that popular, compared to tablets.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.