Sigma new 120-300mm f 2.8 "sport" ?

TabazanTabazan Posts: 29Member
edited December 2012 in Other Manufacturers
Any news and pre-tests regarding the new Sigma 120-300mm f 2.8 for Nikon ?

Finger licking specs but ... will Control Quality follow this time ?
Tagged:

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    As far as I know it is optically identical to the previous, and already very well performing, version. From what I read all they did was update the firmware and the outer shell of the lens to match more modern high end Sigma lenses.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • InTheMistInTheMist Posts: 7Member
    I think that was the older version the OP alludes to.
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    The Swiss provider wrote me "to be expected in March". And if it's coming close to the performance of their 35/1.4, Nikon will face some interesting times :)
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    the picture on both PR and digitalrev shows the new lens
  • Wauuu in europa 3999 euros=5300 dollar,first time i life I thought to buy sigma,this price no way.
    relax, that is the phantasm price what SIgma wants to list. Nobody will or would pay that - although you probably have a closer look to a Nikon 300/2.8 which sells for 4400 €. And has no 180mm range down ;)
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    http://www.photographyblog.com/news/sigma_announces_uk_pricing_for_new_120-300mm_f_2.8_os_hsm_lens/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+photographyblog+PhotographyBLOG

There are probably some links to the actual Sigma post somewhere there.

Sigma hasn't had any Quality Control issues with their high-end pro lenses that I have ever heard of.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    TTJ's link shows Sigma suggesting 3600 quid.
    I keep suggesting to somebody that we run away to Mexico for the weekend, but the prosecutor and now the judge have decided my suggestions amount to stalking.

If somebody is considering this lens, do consider the older version ($3K B&H, under $2500 grey-market). Everything I've read says the old and new are optically identical. A couple posters in the old forum (I recall Godless was one) said the older version was absolutely spectacular. Quickly tested one--handled good but I can't honestly comment on IQ (literally, snapshots).

Doubt I'll get it myself--barred from making suggestions, I need something longer than 300mm.
    The advantage of the new version - to me, who isn't considering to think about before next X-mas - is the programmable electronics, which could be helpful as well as the new designed housing. And I doubt in general things like "optically identical", but even if so, the Sigma housing is really a fine piece of craftsmanship. Coating and new VR do also come into this calculation. Anyway, my guess would be: anybody who won't order it in advance will have to wait a long while for it. Sigma is not that big and produces this new lenses not in Thailand or China like Nikon does. They will produce small batches.
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    That or they will do what they always have done, announce a new product and deliver it 1yr later ;)

For all the jabbing we give Sigma, with the new CEO it seems they are finely addressing all the issues they have had in the past. I would be nice for them to move to that next level. There is a lot of times their lens designs hit a sweet spot ,but fail on the execution of the quality.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
    Paying extra for a USB port a on a lens is a little steep. All Sigma is trying to do is reduce warranty returns. Rather having customers ship a lens in for alignment, just buy Sigma's alignment software. Money grab, plain and simple.
  • SkintBritSkintBrit Posts: 79Member
    It's actually a lens that would interest me. The old version is available in the UK for £1750, quite a bargain. The only thing stopping me is the hope of getting a Nikkor 400 2.8 one day, and the fact that I still have concerns over their quality. You all seem to be saying that shouldn't worry me? Hmm, how much would I get for a kidney?
    D3s's D700 F100 / Trinity 2.8 Zooms & 1.4 Primes / 105 micro. SB900s with Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 / Mini TT1s. Camranger remote control system.
  • SkintBritSkintBrit Posts: 79Member
    Would Nikon TC's work with this lens? The idea of a 600mm 5.6 is quite appealing.
    D3s's D700 F100 / Trinity 2.8 Zooms & 1.4 Primes / 105 micro. SB900s with Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 / Mini TT1s. Camranger remote control system.
    edited January 2013
    Paying extra for a USB port a on a lens is a little steep. All Sigma is trying to do is reduce warranty returns. Rather having customers ship a lens in for alignment, just buy Sigma's alignment software. Money grab, plain and simple.
    That would be stupid, to hand out a device to customers with what one could adjust it to a point of blurred images. I think, they are very confident that people needing and affording such a lens can also handle the customising. But not everyone needs it, so why pack it into the lens' box and make the package more expensive?

Also, if they go on with their A, C and S lines - we just saw the startup - it's a great way to update the lens' firmware for future bodies. I like that bit, if you see it as money grab, just don't buy it. Nobody forces you.
    :-bd
    Post edited by JJ_SO on
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I shoot mostly wildlife and sports. I have the Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 G and the Tamron 150-600 G2. The 70-200 works great but is a little short for some sports. The 150-600 is a little long on the long end for most and comes up short when the sun goes down and the lights come on. I am think hard about the 120-300 sport. It is between the other two and would be less lens changing and good when the lights are on. 400 is what I would need most of the long stuff and shooting with a D500 gets me there. I plan to move up to FX in the future.

Who has experience with this lens and what are your thoughts?
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    @retread: A friend of mine sold it for the Nikon 200-500 and now miss it when light is low. Take a look at http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html
    edited August 2017
    snakebunk said:

@retread: A friend of mine sold it for the Nikon 200-500 and now miss it when light is low. Take a look at http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html

That is what really got me interested. I have found one review that was a bit negative and some that were neutral to somewhat positive. I have been following his blog. It will be some time before I have the $$$ to do something like this.

I am hoping something like this with a good macro lens will about complete my lens kit.

The D850 interests me as a companion to my D500. Sharing the same control layout I really like. Lenses will come first. I am still learning the D500 and now the SB 5000 too.

This is not something that will happen fast.
    Post edited by retread on
    The sale with the free 2x converter ends tomorrow, Dec 31. Really tempted but it is a lot of cash. Should I or should I not?
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    retread said:

Should I or should I not?

Well, how much did you spend already this year on gear?
    If you didn't spend much, then you deserve this one, don't you? :-)
    Happy New Year!
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
    Or keep saving and get a nice Nikon super telephoto prime, you’ll be much happier in the long run.
    Any one have any experience with Sigma repair. I sent the 120-300 in for repair in February. Some screws and come loose and had fallen out. They are still waiting for parts.
    Very happy with the lens otherwise.