Nikon D610 or D7100

kiekiekiekie Posts: 9Member
edited March 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I am 17 and looking in to a new camera I have the nikon d5100 but im wanting something new now and looking to go in to photojournalism and i am studying photography in college

Comments

• framerframer Posts: 491Member
    I'd get the 24 - 70 f2.8 lens (used) and a used D2h or D2hs. The reasoning is buy good FX glass that can serve you for years to come. The D2h is a great camera for photojournalism. Super fast but fallen out of favor by people that never used it. You can get a real good used one under $500, I've seen then go in the mid $300 range. A 17-35mm f2.8 lens is also a great choice. When you are ready and can afford it get a used D3 or D3s.

Money spent of good glass is money well spent. In 5 years you might be able to get a small profit out of it. Bodies are almost considered throw away items after 3-4 years as some chase the latest and greatest. Buy the castoffs and save money. If your situation dictates the needs for the greatest, newest, and best to compete then buy what's needed.

framer
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    budget? what lenses do you currently have?
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    edited March 2014
    Most colleges suggest a camera and have a store of many for you to use ..so what does your tutor say...some courses you must have a specific camera...??? A D600 will make a lot more shutter noise than a D7100 but probably for photo journalism FX is the way to go but not some old junk D2 a D3 at least and buy good glass
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    Junk D2??? Really...

framer
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited March 2014
    FX is the way to go

For photojournalism High ISO quality is a big plus, so I would also recommend a D600 (FX) or a secondhand D3s
    ( forget the D2) As discussed in another thread, Nikon do not currently make any BAD glass, so if you are on tight budget there is nothing wrong with the 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR but if you can afford it, go for the 24 -70 f 2.8

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

@ kiekie, my guess is that a full frame camera is the best bet for the long range, and your lenses will be what your keep the longest. At some point, you'll need to concentrate your investment in lenses in either DX or FX lenses.

I was a newspaper photographer and taught journalism and photography in college and university. You may have some equipment to use in the college newspaper.

You might want to hold off and wait a few months, too. Save a few bucks and do some serious research. Getting the right gear at the right price will save you money and grief.

My best,

Mike
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited March 2014
    FX is the way to go

For photojournalism High ISO quality is a big plus, so I would also recommend a D600 (FX) or a secondhand D3s
    ( forget the D2) As discussed in another thread, Nikon do not currently make any BAD glass, so if you are on tight budget there is nothing wrong with the 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR but if you can afford it, go for the 24 -70 f 2.8
    A D700 is more than able for any photojournalism work, has better AF and better build than the D600/D610. Oh and it costs a lot less, so the extra cash could go into glass.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I am 17 and looking in to a new camera I have the nikon d5100 but im wanting something new now and looking to go in to photojournalism and i am studying photography in college
    As a relevant aside: What kind of photojournalism? With the market for jobs shrinking due to crowd-sourcing, there are a ton of established pro's looking for jobs - I wonder if is it a good plan?
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited March 2014
    PB_PM A D700 is more than able for any photojournalism work, has better AF and better build than the D600/D610. Oh and it costs a lot less, so the extra cash could go into glass

When comes to bangs for your bucks; the D7000/ D7100 is hard to beat, but Nikon does not make a DX equivalent of the 24 -70 f 2.8 or the 24mm f 1.4. Most of Nikons Top glass is, Fx so if you are investing in "good glass" get the best from it, on a Fx camera

( someone will now post a comment about sweet spots)

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited March 2014
    Try this thread

http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/2502/d7100-or-d610/p1

Please do a forum search before starting new threads.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
This discussion has been closed.