Light stand with boom - Beauty dish

DavidJaan DavidJaan Posts: 284Member
edited March 2014 in General Discussions
I had a near tragic event this weekend when my cheap light stand snapped in two and my beauty dish came crashing down with my SB-700 cascading across the floor. Needless to say its time to invest in a good light stand.

I'm looking for solid support that could eventually be used to boom the beauty dish.

I came across this stand, does anyone have any experience with Impact that can comment on their quality and build?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/371907-REG/Impact_CT40M_Turtle_Base_Master_Century.html

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The price of the Impact is the general budget.

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I have several Impact stands and Avenger clamps and poles. I believe the important point is to get the sturdy ones and not try to skimp. If using models and one gets injured by a falling stand your liability is out of sight. And, clients are always impressed by high quality equipment as they will feel you are a first class photog.

These are nice:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/253065-REG/Impact_LS_13HAB_Air_Cushioned_Heavy_Duty.html

I prefer a stand where one can easily place a 10-20 pound sand bag on the leg cross pieces, so as to make certain it is stable. In addition, when light is on top of the stand, use a Velcro strap to make certain the electrical cord is attached to the stand near the lowest part of the stand. Then if some klutz trips over the cord the stand will not tip over.
    Msmoto, mod
  • GarethGareth Posts: 159Member
    You want a C-stand like the one you linked.

I agree with what Msmoto said, but not the stand she recommended.

C-stands are perfect for sandbagging, and they are solid as a rock!

There are a couple that only hold about 5kgs, but in general, even chinese c-stands are great.

Some of them have sliding legs which is a help for uneven surfaces.

I recommend getting one with spring or air cushioning.

If you are looking to boom (and I suggest you do), why not get the impact with hollywood arm straight off

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/372016-REG/Impact_CT40MKIT_Master_Century_C_Stand.html
  •  DavidJaan DavidJaan Posts: 284Member
    @Msmoto - Great tips and I'll look into those stands for my softbox needs as I plan to phase out all of the cheap stands.

@Gareth - Great to know. In terms of the extension arm, the one you linked to is good for supporting flags/reflectors, but nothing more correct? I'd need a different boom arm for the beauty dish from what I gather?
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    edited March 2014
    @Greybagel, I too, would like to get a C-stand and recommend considering one of those. That way you can put that beauty dish a couple of feet away from your subject's face but not have a stand right in front of you. Sandbag it for added support. It's my next stand purchase. I have 2 Manfrotto 1004BAC air cushioned stands and the air cushion action is awesome.

In addition to the one linked by Gareth here's another one I've been eyeballing...
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/227746-REG/Matthews_756040_Hollywood_Century_C_Stand.html

I'm pretty sure they're supposed to handle lights as well. A couple of the reviews mention mounting AB 800 and beauty dishes with no problems.

Post edited by Rx4Photo on
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    I have one of these for hair lights: Impact Multiboom Light Stand and Reflector Holder - 13' I bought it as a dual reflector holder, small backdrop, and small hair light. For $79 it is a good deal! It is not as solid as the $300 Manfrotto options or a C-stand, but for speed lights with soft-boxes it works more than good enough. It is a great Cheap find that works well for speedlights.

That said, I wouldn't put a strobe (like Paul C. Buff's size) with a beauty dish. It would hold it, but the bottom stand is quite large and tends always be in the way. A C-stand would be better. Hard to go wrong with any brand out there - I have never encountered one that was not built like a tank.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    I use the Calumet stands
    still available in the UK
    In the US, the liquidators may be selling off some
    @Rx4Photo - I've been wanting something to get my beauty dish as close as I can, but was obviously hitting issues with the stand being in the frame. I decided on the Impact as several reviews said it had a slight edge over the Matthews in terms of construction and base. I'll update with my thoughts when it arrives!
  • GarethGareth Posts: 159Member
    ^^^ did you get the hollywood arm? They can support ANYTHING including monoblocks with softboxes, flags, you name it.

I actually use just the arm to attach my hensel porty head and kacey dish to a trolley (cart) and the whole thing is super portable.
    @Gareth - Yep, got the arm with it. I saw a setup of one supporting a beauty dish without even a wobble and it convinced me. Thanks again for making the suggestion! i wouldn't have gotten the arm had it not been brought up here.
    It showed up today and I am really, really pleased with it. @Gareth, thanks again for the suggestion! The hollywood arm is perfect for what I need and the stand is extremely sturdy and doesn't wobble in the slightest with the beauty dish mounted.

@Rx4Photo - When it comes time, definitely consider the Impact. It's awesome!
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I have one of these for hair lights: Impact Multiboom Light Stand and Reflector Holder - 13' I bought it as a dual reflector holder, small backdrop, and small hair light. For $79 it is a good deal! It is not as solid as the $300 Manfrotto options or a C-stand, but for speed lights with soft-boxes it works more than good enough. It is a great Cheap find that works well for speedlights.

That said, I wouldn't put a strobe (like Paul C. Buff's size) with a beauty dish. It would hold it, but the bottom stand is quite large and tends always be in the way. A C-stand would be better. Hard to go wrong with any brand out there - I have never encountered one that was not built like a tank.
    i beleive i have the same stand. I picked it up at adorama. I Have a b800 with the 22 beauty dish on it and it does support it but i should really get a sturdier one. I tie a weight on the end of the arm to keep it firm.
    so far no issues but im always cautions setting it up.
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    I have one of these for hair lights: Impact Multiboom Light Stand and Reflector Holder - 13' ...
    i beleive i have the same stand. I picked it up at adorama. I Have a b800 with the 22 beauty dish on it and it does support it but i should really get a sturdier one. I tie a weight on the end of the arm to keep it firm.
    so far no issues but im always cautions setting it up.
    It has some play in it for sure but the thing never fails!
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    @Rx4Photo - When it comes time, definitely consider the Impact. It's awesome!
    Thanks Greybagel. I'll definitely look at that one. I like the price as well vs. the ones that are over $100.

D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL