Nikon Filters

paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
edited March 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
How many of us actually use genuine Nikon Filters compared to third party Filters, Are they really worth the extra cost, I try and buy second hand Nikon filters on our well known Auction site, You can get your self some real bargains second hand, when compared to new cost. And yes I personally do think Nikon Filters are worth it.
Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits

Comments

• ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    I prefer the B&W brand.
    https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogSubCategoryDisplay.aspx?CID=57
    Nikon filters are only available from Nikon, and can't be ordered from local camera shops.
    So these are what I would purchase...

Chas
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

• adsads Posts: 93Member
    +1 for B&W, I have one of their nano circular polarisers and its brilliant.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Until 15 years ago I used nothing but Nikon UV filters and Red, Green, and Polarizor. Switched to Hoya and upgraded to the better Hoya filters, I think their excellent. My Polarizer is also a Hoya and the ND 2- 10 and the Graduated ND is a Tiffen.

Please run a search with the Nikon Rumor Forum for filters. There is a string devoted to comments by many of us.

Nikon filters are good, I gust liked the UV coatings and transmission rate on the Hoya filters better.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    Sharing something that I read today...

Rodenstock Photo Optics

A brand of Qioptiq Photonics GimbH & Co. KG

Quality filters since 1877

Rodenstock's extensive line of high-quality filters are the perfect partner for your photography.

Each filter is crafted from plano-perfect glass to ensure near-perfect light transmission.Rodenstock's proprietary multi-coating creates surfaces that are scratch resistant and even shed water and oil.

Choose from circular polarizes, UV/IR cut, neutral density and the NEW variable Neutral Density filters featuring stopless control from 1.5-6 stops.

The edges of all Rodenstock filters are blackened to eliminate refraction to produce the best possible image!

Mounted in slimline brass rings, Rodenstock filters are always just right.

Marketed in Canada by Amplis Foto Inc.

http://www.amplis.com

http://www.rodenstock-photo.com/en/main/products/filters/

From their website:

High-quality taking lenses create sharp, high-contrast images which are free from distortion. But what happens if it is too bright or if the light is not neutral white, if there is too much UV radiation or if unwanted reflections occur on glossy surfaces? Or if black and white film or digital b&w shots do not convert the subject’s colors into the gray values the photographer really wants? Then the best lens can’t cope, but Rodenstock quality filters can help.

Filters should never impair the lens quality. Nobody is willing to obtain the desired effects at the cost of blur, flair or ghost images. Rodenstock hard coated quality filters made from high grade optical glass guarantee that sharpness, contrast and color fidelity are maintained even with the best lenses.

A basic rule for both analog and digital photography is that filters adapt the light to the film or sensor either so that it “sees” like the eye (correction filter) or just as it is necessary to realize the effects desired by the photographer (effect filter).

Filters for digital photography
    The new HR Digital Circular Polarizing Filters and HR Digital UV Blocking Filters have been specially designed for the highest requirements of digital photography. In addition to their multi-layer coating with improved suppression of reflections and stray light, these filters are provided with a dirt-resistant, water-repellent and especially scratch-proof protection layer.

The UV/IR Blocking Filters, which differ in design (dielectric coating) and effect (interference instead of absorption) from the UV Blocking Filters, cut out both ultraviolet and infrared radiation, which is an especially disturbing element in digital photography. So these filters help to obtain brilliant and color-neutral images even under unfavourable conditions.

Attention: None of the filter types mentioned above can be replaced by digital imaging software.

Filters for analog photography
    In analog photography filter effects cannot be created at a later date by imaging software and therefore more different filter types are required than in digital photography. The following Rodenstock filters are available:

Polarizing Filters, UV Blocking Filters and Neutral Density Filters for both black and white and color images (all of them can also be used for digital photography);
    Skylight Filters for color images (only for analog application);
    Medium and dark yellow filters, orange filters and bright and dark red filters for black and white images (all of them can also be used for digital photography).

Chas
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080