Turning off camera when changing lens

BajaBaja Posts: 1Member
edited March 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Like the title says; do you need to turn off the camera when changing a lens? (D7000 and D7100)

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I do 99% of the time, and that other 1% only happens if I forget. Nikon recommends that you turn the camera off when switching lenses.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • tfeazeltfeazel Posts: 1Member
    I had no idea.
    I've been shooting Nikon and others since the 70s.
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    I do it bacause it's recommended in the OM. Although, I know for a fact that I've made a few rapid changes with the camera still on.
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Most of the time I try to turn off the camera.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    I try to remember to turn the camera off prior to changing lenses but I confess that sometimes I am distracted and it doesn't always happen.
    Occasionally a decent image ...
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    This is one of those things that in most cases no problem will exist if one leaves the camera powered up. But, the one time some voltage surge, short circuit or other occurs, one may find the camera is inoperable. I try to power off when connecting anything to the camera which is electrical in nature.
    Msmoto, mod
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    A powered up camera may also have charges that attract dust when opened. Surges are not friendly to flash memory.

.... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    I usually have the camera "OFF" while changing lenses due to habit.

However, contrary to intuition, modern DSLRs are usually "always on" (to varying degrees) even with the power switch set to "OFF". The only way to "truly" turn off the camera is by removing the battery.

On Nikon DSLRs, there is a certain electrical (electronic) "handshake" interrogation that is performed each time you attach or detach a lens -- regardless of the power switch position.

You can "see" this handshake yourself by observing the green "activity" LED on the back of the camera:

1. With a lens attached, turn the camera "OFF".
    2. While observing the activity LED, detach the lens. The green LED will turn on momentarily.
    3. While observing the activity LED, re-attach the lens. The LED will again turn on momentarily.

(A similar activity can be observed when inserting or removing a memory card while the camera is "OFF").

So turning "off" the camera actually makes no real difference when changing lenses, as the camera was designed to automatically "wake up" anyway.

The only problem I can see with having the power ON is the risk of accidentally firing the shutter while the lens is off, introducing dust or other debris while the sensor is fully exposed.

ps. I'm not privy to Nikon schematics, but good interface engineering will include protection against voltage surge, transient shorts, etc., in the circuit design. Often this is done by incorporating "digital isolators" (or optocouplers in the past) into the circuit.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I have always tried to follow Nikon's recommendation, turn the camera off before changing lens. Before I went to digital while on vacation I changed lens several times forgetting to turn it off. Nothing happened until one time I forgot and changed lens and AF and Aperture mode did not work. Turned off the camera and even removed the lens, replaced the lens, and turn the camera back on. No problems.

A couple of times with the D200 and D300 I forgot to turn it off before changing lens. No issues.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I try to always turn it off before changing lenses, but and it's a big but if it were in any way destructive to the camera, I am sure Nikon would have put an 'off' function on the lens release button - it wouldn't be hard to do that.
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    Like every one else, I try
    but I often forget
    so far, no probs
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Ade I tested your theory regarding the Green light coming on when changing lenses. However this only works when there is a memory card in. This was on a D4 and 70-200 lens. Needless to say the camera was off.
    The memory card must complete the circuit?
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    More likely: each time a lens is attached or detached the camera performs a sequence of initialization activities which includes tasks like configuring the AF and checking the memory card (resulting in the green LED turning on). Without a memory card inserted we simply can't "see" that part of the sequence happening.

Keeping the camera "always on" and configured are key in minimizing "time to first shot" delays in newer DSLRs, at the expense of some battery power.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Cheers Ade I still turn the camera off when making any changes, Better to be safe than sorry.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • clskeltonclskelton Posts: 31Member
    I always turn it off when changing lenses and test AF afterwards. I'll even double-check when changing an SD card that the camera recognizes it and gives me a realistic "photos left" number. Sometimes when sliding in the card (usually at a bad angle) the write-protect switch will get flipped on, and the camera will warn me about it. I try not to assume my camera will operate perfectly when I change a lens/card/battery because sometimes I make mistakes. I also check my WB and Qual settings frequently cause it sucks when I forget to switch those back or accidentally hit them instead of ISO (D7100 here).
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    I should, but often don't.
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.