Lens compatibility help

jagivjagiv Posts: 9Member
edited March 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Hello everyone, I would like to know if a particular lens will work safely on my new DSLR.

I ordered a Nikon D610 DSLR (body only) and it will arrive sometime today.

I have an old lens (Vivitar Series 1 28-105mm f/2.8-3.8 VMC Macro Focusing Zoom) that I used on my old film SLR camera (Minolta XG-1).

The following link gives information about this lens. http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Vivitar_Series_1_28-105mm_f/2.8-3.8_VMC_Macro_Focusing_Zoom

I called Nikon support to see if the Vivitar Series 1 lens outlined above would be compatible with the Nikon D610 camera although the representative on the phone stated that they can not recommend using any 3rd party lenses and was of little help to me (understandably).

When the camera arrives today, I'll see if the lens will at least mount to the body of the Nikon D610 camera.

If I can get the lens to mount the Nikon D610, I'm hesitant to turn on the camera and take a picture because I just do not know all the variables and the last thing I want to do is damage my brand new Nikon D610 camera.

The last part is, if I'm able to mount the lens and if the responses here say that it is relatively safe to use with the Nikon D610, I would like to know if metering will work on the camera given the combination of this particular lens with this camera?

Thanks for any and all of your input!

Comments

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    even if it fits this lens is unlikely to get the best out of your D610
    I would put in e bay
    and get the something like the 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 VR
    or
    the 24 -120 f 4vr
    or the 24 -70 f 2.8
  • jagivjagiv Posts: 9Member
    Thank you for the response Sevencrossing!

I understand there will be better alternatives for lens choices. When I get the extra $200 I will purchase the AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G lens since I'm on a budget.

For now, the only lens I have is the old Vivitar one and would love to start using the camera later today when it arrives (if possible).
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited March 2014
    No it will not mount .. its for use with a minolta camera and will not mount on your nikon camera. dont force mount it. It will break your shiny new camera ! :-) when you get a new lens it needs to have the Nikon F Mount
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Thank you for your response heartyfisher!

I wonder why the Wikipedia article stated in the Specifications of the lens that the Mounts are:
    Canon FD, Konica, M42, Minolta, Nikon, Pentax P/K-A and Olympus OM

Maybe I just don't understand why they listed Nikon in the article. Its confusing to me.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited March 2014
    it might mount with an adaptor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/No-Glass-Minolta-MD-MC-Lens-to-Nikon-Mount-Adapter-D90-D7000-D300S-D3S-D5100-D60-/270947697746

BUT

It is an adapter WITHOUT GLASS. So it does not allows Infinity Focus. IT IS SPECIALLY FOR MACRO SHOT. Automatic diaphragm, auto-focusing, or any other functions will NOT operate correctly
    You can only shoot with manual mode

Post edited by sevencrossing on
    Thank you again Sevencrossing!

Looks like I'll have to hold off and save up for the affordable $200 50mm prime lens that Nikon offers.

Again, thanks for your input!

• tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    I want to, but I will stay out of it %-(
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I have to ask the question about being on a budget and ordering a D610…. why not a D7100 and some good glass?
    Msmoto, mod
    edited March 2014
    Msmoto:

I can wait to acquire good glass and I don't like having buyer's remorse.

I've also never had glass of any kind, so its not like I'm making a switch from crop to full frame. Might as well start off with the full frame rather than upgrade to a full frame later in the future (knowing me, it would have been bound to happen).

With the D610 over the D7100 I'll gladly trade up for less focus points but get significantly lower noise at high ISO: 2,980 ISO vs 1,256 ISO and get better image quality with the full frame sensor. For me, its a no brainer to go with the D610 for hundreds more, not thousands more. That's the difference.

By the way, I picked up the $200 Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G prime lens and can definitely live happily with it until I can afford the $1600 85mm f/1.4 G.

Two days ago I headed over to over to Jersey City, NJ and set up on Paulus Hook Pier to try this camera out with the view of lower Manhattan.

The weather was cold and gloomy with snow on the way. The lighting was anything but optimal given the overcast sky in conjunction with the time of day (10:50 AM) so I had low expectations of any usable images.

I don’t have any ND or Polarizing filters yet but will definitely get some quality filters soon.

Distance from where I am to One World Trade Center is exactly 1 mile and distance to the Empire State Building from where I am is 3.4 miles.

Camera Model: NIKON D610
    Lens: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G
    Focal Length: 50mm
    Exposure Program: Manual
    Metering Mode: Pattern
    Focus Mode: AF-S
    ISO Speed Ratings: 100
    F-Number: 5.6
    Exposure Time: 1/1600
    White Balance: Cloudy

The sky in the original 5 photos were anything but interesting so I wound up replacing the sky in the final panoramic image with a photo of a sky that I found online.

I used Lightroom merge the photos together in Photoshop. Once the panoramic image was assembled I removed the sky in Photoshop and added a new one then made final tweaks to the appearance of the photo in Lightroom.

Here is the final image, please click on it so that it displays with the proper aspect ratio.

NYC from Jersey City

Post edited by jagiv on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited March 2014
    For a noob who doesn't know the difference between a minolta mount and a nikon f mount thats a stunning image ! ;-) good job!

oh BTW vivitar is a 3rd party lens maker like sigma or tamron or tokina. they make lenses that can mount on nikon, canon, pentax etc but one lens can only mount on one type of camera. ie you have to buy the version of the lens with the correct mount for your camera.

Note that you should not "borrow" ( !! ) online photos and use it in your photos as your own. 1) without asking permission first and 2) crediting the original owner.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.