"Upgrading" to FX, Best Compromise: D600, D3S, or ?

13»

Comments

• framerframer Posts: 491Member
    edited January 2013
    Oh hell, who am I kidding, I'm just doing circles and in the end I will tell the wife I spent $3k but actually spend 6k and buy damned D4.... :D

I did something like that last summer when I got my 400mm f2.8 AFS II lens. I told here I was looking to buy and it would be in the 4K range. After I got it I told her It cost a bit more... but it was a better investment than a new D4 body that will just go down in value. She now knows it cost over 6K. Just starting on her new kitchen. Payback hurts.

framer
    Post edited by framer on
  • obajobaobajoba Posts: 206Member
    @framer - that is my normal strategy as well. I had to build a closet for her "shoe collection" when I bought my MTB because a $300 mountain bike doesn't have "the upgradability" that the $1k MTB does ;)
    D4 | 70-200 2.8 VR | 24-70 2.8 | TC-17e II
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited January 2013
    @Golf007sd - I had the 35mm f/1.8G for my D7000 and used it twice and even then it was only so I could check it out, never found a time when it proved useful otherwise.
    Ooh man you mean to tell me that you let the 35 1.8G just sit there. You really should have puttled it out more...specially when taking pictures around the house of friends/family. It is a perfect companion for a D7000, specially when one is considering street photography. If I maybe bold, bang for buck, the 35 1.8G does an Outstanding job and nothing within the Nikon's lineup of prime lenses can touch it for $200!!!! I will try to take it out in the next week and shoot with it...on the D4 as well.

@framer you told her it was $4,000 and she just walked away, and you though you were safe. LMFAO...yes the joke was on you...and yes Payback do hurt. Careful with that strategy next time, hence...don't say anything, just do it and say it is for a "project" you are working on....a long one at that.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • obajobaobajoba Posts: 206Member
    Ooh man you mean to tell me that you let the 35 1.8G just sit there. You really should have puttled it out more...specially when taking pictures around the house of friends/family. It is a perfect companion for a D7000, specially when one is considering street photography. If I maybe bold, bang for buck, the 35 1.8G does an Outstanding job and nothing within the Nikon's lineup of prime lenses can touch it for $200!!!! I will try to take it out in the next week and shoot with it...on the D4 as well. In fact, I like the
    @Golf007sd - Many people think I am crazy, and my wife even gets annoyed, but I have a PAS for casual "family and friends" stuff. Lugging around a DSLR for normal stuff is weird to me. I know that my opinion is probably wasting good money but honestly, normal family activities typically require at most a 5x7 photo (if you even decide to make prints these days).

As for the bang for the buck. For $200 that lens was fracking amazing. Not very sharp at 1.8 but at 2.2 that lens was out of control (for the cost.) I haven't gotten into other types of photography much... yet. It's coming. I know that. Especially considering I believe I have come to a deal with the seller of the D4 that hurts a little but means I can finally follow my passion without complaining about the limitations of my equipment.

Allow me to digress for a second... A brief bit of history: when I graduated HS I started on my BA (to pursue photojournalism) and one year into school "life happened." I had a kid, got married and went to work for IBM as a support person. I put away my N90 and didn't pick up an SLR again for 13 years, then at my sister-in-law's wedding I got a chance to play with a relative's Canon EOS 7s (I think that was the model, they're from south africa so I know it wasn't the same as here but it was in 2010.) After that night, and reviewing the photos with family, my passion was re-ignited. So, in June last year I finally pulled the trigger and bought a D7000 kit, dusted off my old sigma and nikkor lenses, and started playing. Here I am, 7 months later, ready to pull the trigger on a D4...
    D4 | 70-200 2.8 VR | 24-70 2.8 | TC-17e II