Help quick ! D610 for video/movie

heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
edited March 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I know that the D610 is not the camera of choice for Movies or Video but that's what i got!

Tomorrow I have an opportunity to shoot a short Music Video ! (was asked an hour ago) but I have no experience in Video and D610 video .. anyone know where I can get some quick pointers or places to do a crash course on this?

How much video can my 32GB memory card record ?
Post edited by heartyfisher on
Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I have no experience hearty, but I would send you to youtube for a crash course.
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited March 2014
    Yes, Youtube is your best bet in this situation. Frankly, considering how much there is to learn to shoot any kind of decent video files, I would have turned it down.

Most important things with video, get your shutter speed right, 25FPS = 1/50s, or 30FPS = 1/60s, and don't record sound with the internal microphone on the camera if possible.

If you have time, this is a good video to watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwtpJ3T8eK4&list=FLojjtP6EO3uhjgfxSDDBlPQ&index=7
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    edited March 2014
    Heartyfisher Try this link lots of free tips from Izzy

http://www.izzyvideo.com

http://www.izzyvideo.com/topics/video-techniques/
    Post edited by paulr on
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited March 2014
    if the song is going to be recorded live with your camera look into a zoom digital recorder.
    If the song will be recorded in the studio and then added in post you can use on camera recorder basically just to sync the audio.
    There is software to sync the audio from the digital recorder and your camera. Red Giant PluralEyes 3 is the one I used and It worked fantastically if thats a word. It saved me some time syncing a 2.5 hour party.

I too have an opportunity with a music video once the weather gets better let us know how it turned out. The song is already recorded in the studio so that is a plus for me.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited March 2014
    Thanks guys .. but i have 1 week now instead of 1 day .. the guy is off getting drunk and chasing skirts tonight so cant do the recording tomorrow .. figures .. ;-)

at least I have a week to prepare a bit more LOL !
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

@heartyfisher - Shooting a music video with natural sound is a losing game. Synchronizing a pre-recorded audio track in post is the only way to go. Taking a boom box with the music for the band to lip-sync (if that is the story you're telling) is the only game you've got.

Which begs the bigger question, whacha got in mind to do?

Just like a single photo tells a story, a video is 24 (25 or 30) pictures a second with sound that tell a story.

Likely, you and/or the band need to storyboard the video to pre-plan the shoot so it won't turn into a stinking mess.

It doesn't necessarily mean, IMHO, that the vid will follow quid pro quo story line of the lyrics - it might just put the band in an unusual environment or provide provocative or unique visuals for a coda. Or a parallel story line of the music.

Paulr gave you some FCP pointer links which look terrific. For Mac or Windows, Adobe CC's Premiere Pro, Adobe Audition, SpeedGrade, and Prelude are made for this type of project, but are difficult tools with which to work without training and experience. For Windows, for a simple one time job, you might try Premiere Elements or Corel VideoStudioPro.

Most of all, good luck and have fun!

My best,

Mike
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Vipmediastar_JZI looked up Red Giant PluralEyes and got the 1 month free trial Looks Interesting soft ware but at same price as FCPX its not cheap by comparison
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    @paulr I hear you. At one point they where giving out the software for free with the Zoom h4n at B&H but it was a promotional thing.