Nikon DSLR "adjustments"

Mk223Mk223 Posts: 2Member
edited April 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Hello all,

I have an Nikon D7000 and 18-105 mm kit lens. I spilled some tea on the lens (not related) so I ended up at a local Nikon certified repair shop we have in town here. Lens was kinda a lost cause (going back to Nikon) but while there I asked for a quote on sensor cleaning and if anything could be up with the camera. So they told me the camera needs "adjustments like all D7000s" and which I inquired what they meant, and was told calibration of the AF, tuning, the cleaning, and a "firmware upgrade" (which I already did myself...). And they quoted me $180 and a week, now I told them I'll be back later maybe.

Would this be worth it? As far as I can tell my D7k with a good lens seems to work fine. Has anyways gone though this, or do regular service to there camera besides sensor cleaning?

Thanks

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    If your not having any issues with AF, I would keep shooting. Sounds like someone wants to make some money on your repair.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    To be fair, you did ask for a spanking when you asked them if anything 'could' be up with the camera :))
    Always learning.
  • daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member
    There's a pretty good shop in st pete fl and when all my gear went for a saltwater swim (of course at about 11:30pm on a friday night so had to wait till monday to get it in) the guy was pretty honest about it all and we talked a lot about water damage and he said if it's saltwater and it hits any electric parts it's a goner but if it's more freshwater then it's usually ok... I shoot in the rain a lot and even my non weathersealed lens get soaked and never had a problem with nikkor or tokina lens... if they are really wet I wipe them off and put them in a bag with some white rice or a silicon bag and they're fine.

Sensor cleaning is a breeze once you get over the fear... spend a $100 on diy supplies instead of giving it to this shop which is trying to steal your wallet. Next read your manual and AF fine tune your lens and you're good to go.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Routine camera servicing is not unusual. Back in the day of film we called it a CLA - clean, lubricate and adjust. Some photographers took their bodies in for a yearly CLA. How often a camera may need this work depends upon how it is used. Today is different because cleaning, the firmware upgrade, AF fine tuning for each lens and sensor cleaning can be done at home. I don't think Nikon bodies need to be lubricated anymore since the only moving part is the shutter mechanism which likely is "lubed for life" and some recent shutter mechanisms seem to have come from the factory with too much lube which caused oil spots on the sensor. What the service shop says isn't wrong; you can just do it yourself.
  • daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member
    The shops mistake is trying to almost make it be "fear tactics" like theres this problem with the d7000
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    edited April 2014
    I'd send it to Nikon service for cleaning and adjustment. Besides the focus, they also check the exposure meter, Their prices are reasonable and you could send it with the lens.

I took my fiddle in for a new tuning peg yesterday ($20 fitted) and walked out authorizing a full set of pegs, reconditioned peg box, new strings, a new bridge and a new sound-post. (Mid three figures). The violin maker played me like Paganini on a Stradivarius.
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    As the old saying goes, if it an't broke, don't fix it.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • michael66michael66 Posts: 231Member
    As the old saying goes, if it an't broke, don't fix it.
    How does one double +1 someone?

Although, my D7100 is doing a few odd things with AF. I'm gonna have to start taking names. I mean notes.

How does one double +1 someone?

When I went to school, 2 x +1 = +2 :D
    Always learning.
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    I took my fiddle in for a new tuning peg yesterday ($20 fitted) and walked out authorizing a full set of pegs, reconditioned peg box, new strings, a new bridge and a new sound-post. (Mid three figures). The violin maker played me like Paganini on a Stradivarius.
    If it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

.... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

If it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

.... H
    LOL!
    Always learning.