Capture NX2

AndyEllisAndyEllis Posts: 12Member
edited January 2013 in Nikon Software
Why when i open a photo in Capure NX2 as a RAW file when it first opens it appears really sharp and clear but without me touching anything after a couple of seconds the sharpness slightly goes. Plus if i have used a flash the white dot in peoples eyes disapears. If i shut the file and reopen it does the same again.
Can anyone tell me why? Cheers

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Hi Andy, The thumbnail is the embedded .jpg and what appears after rendering is the raw image awaiting your PP.
    Always learning.
  • AndyEllisAndyEllis Posts: 12Member
    Hi, No its not the thumb nail. It is the image that opens up after clicking on the thumbnail that alters its self after a couple of seconds
    Sorry if I was unclear in my earlier post - although my images get sharper after couple of seconds not less sharp. I think it is like I said - the initial render is done using your in-camera settings. Maybe the catch lights seem to diminish because the resolution improves.
    Always learning.
    Cheers yeah that could be it, just seems strange that the sharpness goes a bit too.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    It is reading the sharpness settings you have set in your camera and applying it. The first screen render may have some default, then your settings get applied. What camera and what is your camera's sharpening setting?
    edited January 2013
    check your in-camera sharpening settings Andy.

Oops - beaten to the post!
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    Thanks for the help guys, i think that maybe the problem after looking at my camera =D> But would this cause it to do the same each time i adjust a shot? It goes back to as it was when you first open the shot just before it makes the adjustments
    One of the differences between shooting in raw and shooting jpegs is that many of the setting don't affect the raw image, only the jpeg and as the preview is a jpeg, it affects that too. it is worth reading up on that. Whatever you do, you must continue shooting raw!
    Always learning.
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    Do you have NX2 red eye correction set as default ?
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• Its The noise reduction kicking in. Capture nx is quite slow, so it takes a couple of seconds before the noise reduction makes the image softer. Turn off noise reduction.
    Red eye was turned off, noise reduction was turned on but it is still doing the same?
    Don't worry Spraynpray i plan to continue with RAW, just wish i could get to the bottom of this.
  • Try to turn down noise reduction to 0% and you'll see the sharpness coming back.
    I have set it too 0% but still have the same problems
  • dcAkowuadcAkowua Posts: 1Member
    I have the same issue with Capture for a long time,and I thought I was going crazy. Magnusbergstroem's reply is probably closer to the answer. I believe it has nothing to do with the in-camera settings since, the images are sharp when opened,but softens after a few seconds no matter the sharpness settings in the camera.
    Even after you change the settings under Noise Reduction, the sharpness come back then soften a little bit again.
  • Dredden85Dredden85 Posts: 365Member
    edited April 2014
    Is there any way now to get any NIK software for NX2?
    Post edited by Dredden85 on
    D7000, 18-200VRII | 50 1.8G | SB-900
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited April 2014
    Didn't think you could to start with, even before the Google takeover it was only available as standalone, or as plugins for PS, LR and Aperture.

Check this out: http://www.luminescentphoto.com/blog/2010/10/10/using-nik-plug-ins-with-capture-nx-2/
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Proves my ignorance of image software. I thought it was a plug-in for NX2 as well. I only ask because my wife gave me NX2 as a birthday gift last week. Should I return the NX2 and buy the NIK?
    edited April 2014
    Thank you for the link. What is the availability of Color Efex Pro 3?
    Post edited by Dredden85 on
    As far as I know this same trick should work with the current versions found in the Google collection. Nik software is no longer available on a per plugin basis, you have to buy them all.
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    edited April 2014
    Proves my ignorance of image software. I thought it was a plug-in for NX2 as well. I only ask because my wife gave me NX2 as a birthday gift last week. Should I return the NX2 and buy the NIK?
    I admit I prefer Capture NX2 over my current version of LR 4 (I choose to skip LR 5 at the moment). Post processing has been my big stumbling block so take that with a grain of salt, plus the fact I won a ticket to a Nikon School course, from my local camera store, that showed what you could do with Capture NX2 (I had to add the plug about the local camera stores, they seem to be dwindling by the second. When you need a local camera shop its worth the extra cost to keep them around).

From my understanding Capture NX2 will not be supported after some date this year and some other software will be taking over for Nikon, could have been a bad rumor but a rumor non the less. If this is the case it will be a bummer because any new camera Nikon makes the files might not open or be correct. Capture was not the most popular software but this would be a death sentience in the long run if your just learning software.
    Post edited by scoobysmak on
    It's true, once Capture NX-D comes out of beta support for NX2 will end. If you can return it, you'd be best to do that and get a good third party RAW editor.
    I am just learning the software. I took a gamble today, installed, updated and registered it. After flubbing around for about an hour I was impressed with how good the layout/interface is and its ease of use. Found the download for Color Efex Pro 3.0 for NX2 on the Google NIK site. It will provide a 30 day demo or drop $149 for an activation key.