Insurance for Photography Gear

Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
edited February 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
How many of you have insurance coverage for your photography gear? If so, whom are you using? Given the gear that I have obtained, I hate to have it lost, stolen or damaged and not have it covered.

Thanks for the feedback....cheers :)
D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Depends on how you use your gear. If you use it professionally then you need business insurance. If you use it just as a hobby, then get an add-on for your home insurance.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Not really.

Knock on wood the D7000 will go on for 150,000 plus frames. :D
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    I have all my gear on a rider on my homeowners policy. Covers all loss including damage without a deductible..

They want receipts for anything that costs more than $3K. Costs 1% of purchase price per year.

Denver Shooter
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2013
    @ PB_PM The same here in Holland.

I have an add-on for my home insurance for an amount of 5000 euro (25 euro a year).
    If my gear is stolen out of my car, it is not insured with this add-on, like all things I have in my car. My car insurance covers things to a maximum amount of 250.- euro.

They want me to keep receipts for 6 months, after they payed me. The repair of my 24-70mm f/2.8 was payed instantly.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • armullisarmullis Posts: 2Member
    I insure all items in my camera bag with a value of $500 or more. I carry a highly valued articles policy through USAA. When I need to add or delete an item from the policy, it is very easy to go online and make the change.

My USAA policy covers me for loss through damage (I dropped it on the ground), theft (from home, rental car, or hotel room), or just plain being forgetful and leaving it.
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    I included the gear in my homeowners' insurance, but it is $1k max per piece and $7.5 k total max. They refund the depreciated value based on the replacement receipt. So if you had a 4 year old body for $1k you get back $200.- if you present a receipt that you replaced it for $1k. So the homeowners policy is not the greatest solution. If I travel with gear I pay the travel with a cc that insures the gear that I am traveling with.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @Benji: Can't you upgrade your policy to 'new for old'? Then they reimburse the difference in the depreciated value and the new value upon viewing the receipt.
    Always learning.
    I am stuck with the MA property homeowners insurance since I am living too close to the ocean. No options available. I could have gotten a third party insurance for $500+ per year, but I thought "don't over-do it".
  • WhitefootWhitefoot Posts: 2Member
    Package Choice from Hill and Usher is wonderful!
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    I insure all items in my camera bag with a value of $500 or more. I carry a highly valued articles policy through USAA. When I need to add or delete an item from the policy, it is very easy to go online and make the change.

My USAA policy covers me for loss through damage (I dropped it on the ground), theft (from home, rental car, or hotel room), or just plain being forgetful and leaving it.
    I do the same but they do specify that this is not for business use, aka not a professional photographer (I would say getting paid for you work is what qualifies here, not trying to bring up the "pro" Vs "amateur" question). That might not work for some. I have always wondered if my status changed what I would do.

• obajobaobajoba Posts: 206Member
    edited February 2013
    This is interesting. I've been wondering how to cover my equipment. I wasn't so worried when it was the D7000 and a few DX consumer lenses that totaled <$2000, but not that I have the D4, the 70-200/2.8 and the 24-70/2.8 I am pushing almost $10k in replacement cost. My other concern is going to be that I bought the D4 used along with the 70-200. I have a receipt from the guy I bought the D4 from but the 70-200/2.8 I do not. Hmmmm.

Also, anyone know which credit card issuers insure your travel when you purchase from them? We recently used Discover to book our trip to South Africa.
    Post edited by obajoba on
    D4 | 70-200 2.8 VR | 24-70 2.8 | TC-17e II
  • SatoSato Posts: 50Member
    @ PB_PM The same here in Holland.

I have an add-on for my home insurance for an amount of 5000 euro (25 euro a year).
    Could you perhaps sent me the details of that in a private message?
    I've asked for a quote for such an add-on and they've told me it will cost me 38 Euro every 3 months for an insured value of 4500 Euro.
    edited February 2013
    This is interesting. I've been wondering how to cover my equipment. I wasn't so worried when it was the D7000 and a few DX consumer lenses that totaled <$2000, but not that I have the D4, the 70-200/2.8 and the 24-70/2.8 I am pushing almost $10k in replacement cost. My other concern is going to be that I bought the D4 used along with the 70-200. I have a receipt from the guy I bought the D4 from but the 70-200/2.8 I do not. Hmmmm.

Also, anyone know which credit card issuers insure your travel when you purchase from them? We recently used Discover to book our trip to South Africa.</p>
    Most of the airline credit cards have the insurance if you pay the vacation on this credit card. I use a Lufthansa M&M gold card.
    Post edited by Benji2505 on
  • onedeloreanonedelorean Posts: 1Member
    edited April 2014
    I know you guys probably already know of this company, but I just just bought some new lenses and wanted to get proper insurance. I found Film Emporium online and they where most helpful. Might be worth looking into. They have lots of good information on their website.

www.FilmEmporium.com
    Post edited by onedelorean on
    Call your homeowner insurance company and ask them for a quote. I have my gear insured that way and they charge me 1% of what I paid for it and it covers everything including dropping... It was cheaper by far than any standalone policy that I could find.

Denver Shooter
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Golf, I have a rider on my home owner insurance. I have a complete list of each item and the value and updated it once per year. Cost is reasonable, I use State Farm.

As others said, you have to go another route if your using as a business.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • clskeltonclskelton Posts: 31Member
    @DenverShooter and @Photobug,

Would you have a deductible if you had to file a claim? My homeowner's deductible is $1,000 which wouldn't cover any one item of mine. I would hope the rider would use a separate deductible or none at all. I might go this route since it sounds promising.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    You would be looking at a $500-1000 deductible for almost any special photo equipment insurance, so unless you can get a better deal that your home insurance it might not be worth while. Although you do have to consider this, if your insurance company gives you benefits for making no claims stolen camera gear could lead to increased house insurance rates.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    I have a zero deductible and claims do not count against the homeowners policy. Its through Country Insurance.

Denver Shooter
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    @DenverShooter and @Photobug,

Would you have a deductible if you had to file a claim? My homeowner's deductible is $1,000 which wouldn't cover any one item of mine. I would hope the rider would use a separate deductible or none at all. I might go this route since it sounds promising.
    No deductible on this rider but I do have a $1,000 deductible on my home owner insurance.

D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Zero deductible on a photo claim. Homeowners has a deductible. Talk to your agent.

Denver Shooter
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Country financial my wife works there. The agent covers Illinois and ohio.
    If the home oweners insurance can prove that you made a penny with your gear they will not cover it.
    I decided to get it two months ago because I figured it was the best thing to do and ease of mind.
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Do you guys/gals also add in everything besides camera gear like filters,bags,printers,tripods computer, monitor. Anyone have an idea on cost say per thousand. I am going to see my agent on Monday. Thanks for bringing this up.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    For me anything that is photography related is covered. There is coverage for example 10k 20k just make sure you pick the amount that your gear is worth including computer and ipad if you display your photos to customers on it. Etc.
    Do you guys/gals also add in everything besides camera gear like filters,bags,printers,tripods computer, monitor. Anyone have an idea on cost say per thousand. I am going to see my agent on Monday. Thanks for bringing this up.
    I just cover the big items (more than $500) and the cost is 1% of the price paid per year.

Denver Shooter