Tripod £150 budget

kiekiekiekie Posts: 9Member
edited April 2014 in Other Manufacturers
I am looking for a new tripod

I like these I like the first one more and the second one as they are compact. I travel by public transport, bike and foot I also like the third one as it is heavy for landscapes and I like the centre pole also open to advise on other tripods. But I do like compactness.
My old tripod broke but it was only a cheap one (hama star 62) the leg snapped clean off.

It is to old a nikon d5100 but it will be upgraded to a d7100 but not for a long time It main use will be landscapes and long exposers

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-manfrotto-befree-travel-tripod/p1538436
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-giottos-vitruvian-vgrn9255-tripod-plus-mh5400-652-ball-head/p1527130
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-055XPROB-Tripod-Black-804RC2/dp/B000YMBR06/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1397159457&sr=8-7&keywords=manfrotto
Post edited by kiekie on

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    My experience is that you will be buying a compromise at that price - especially when it comes to the holding power of the head. IMHO you would do better to buy a used tripod (without head if poss) off ebay and get a better head for it. It will still be tough for the budget you state though. What body and lenses do you expect it to support?
    Always learning.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    +1 spraynpray...what camera and lens are you supporting.

Your budget is "light". If that is all you have to spend, try eBay.

It's better to buy a good tripod once then to buy two or three cheap ones and keep upgrading. Consider at a minimum $600 for the tripod + additional $$$ for the ball head.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited April 2014
    Here is one someone recently suggested was very nice

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/926387-REG/benro_a0350q0k_0_series_travel_tripod_kit.html

If you get started with the ARCA Swiss release, then as you upgrade to a +$500 tripod in the future you will have the release system already in place.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • kiekiekiekie Posts: 9Member
    I shall have a look at these in my local camera shop thanks guys
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    There are multiple threads about tripods on NRF, the bottom line is usually that the supported weight of the tripod should relate to the weight of your system. The referenced tripods support up to 4 kg, which is not a lot. The ball head support should be the same, IMHO opinion the ball head is the weakest link in the system, especially when you want to tilt the camera 90 degrees.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Ideally, I like a tripod which supports about 18 kg. But, these cost money and to start, one might have to get something which is less robust. As mentioned above, a used tripod on eBay or other can be a mush better deal than a new unit, more bang for one's buck.
    Msmoto, mod
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Ideally, I like a tripod which supports about 18 kg. But, these cost money and to start, one might have to get something which is less robust. As mentioned above, a used tripod on eBay or other can be a mush better deal than a new unit, more bang for one's buck.
    Even though most users don't have that "huge lens" you use, the 18 kg guideline is a good one for even someone using a medium size DSLR + 200mm lens. I like the safety factor...weight of camera + lens compared to ball head weight rating.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • mikepmikep Posts: 280Member
    hee hee tripods

as I have said in another thread, i literally hung my body from the bottom of my manfrotto, and it didnt collapse, 80kg! it is a manfrotto 055xdb which they rate as safe to 7kg .....

my manfrotto + head cost me about 150 GBP, and weighs 2900g, while my gitzo + head cost me 1180 GBP and weighs 2730g - a mere 170g difference in weight - half of a can of coke difference.

the gitzo feels and looks a little bit nicer, but the manfrotto feels more solid, to the point where I would be happy throwing off my roof onto the concrete below - its metal so it might ding, but it wont snap. and frankly i would never throw my gitzo of the roof because while carbon is stronger, it cannot bend like metal, so when it fails, it really does fail.

both of my tripods are solid, reliable, and well made, but for the money there is no contest between the two, manfrotto is the winner by far.

the tripod head on the other hand .... that is a different story, and I say this is where you should consider spending a little bit of money; get a nice one.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Interesting, I used a Manfrotto (055XPROB) for many years, but I don't at all regret getting a CF Gitzo. The Gitzo is much lighter, over half the weight (1.2KG less) and holds way more gear (45KG vs 7KG). The legs on the Manfrotto were literally sagging from just the weight of a D700+grip and AF-S 300mm F4D IF-ED, which weighed only half of the "safe" limit. It is also extremely unstable for any off centre use (important for anyone who doesn't use L-Brackets or have a tripod collar for a lens). Not saying the Manfrotto wasn't a good tripod, but I sure doesn't feel as stable or reliable as my Gitzo. The Manfrotto sure did take a beating though, being dragged across rocky hillsides, where it often kept me from falling into a river. :)) Haven't had to use the Gitzo that way as often, but it still does a good job.

All that being said, the Manfrotto is much more cost effective, and as long as you didn't have to carry the thing too far it was fine.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • martindowersmartindowers Posts: 2Member
    Hmm, Manfrotto tripod is best. I have been using Manfrotto tripod..