D7100 Assigning "MyMenu to Function Button"

Ronin_1Ronin_1 Posts: 9Member
edited April 2014 in D90/D7x00
I have looked at the menus as well as the manual and I simply have not succeeded in assigning the "My Menus" to the Function button which is between 7 and 8 o'clock next to the lens mount when you are looking at the front of the camera body.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

TIA

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    You can assign certain operations to the function buttons but not "My Menus."

For example you can assign the FV Lock to the Fn button. See page 125 in the manual.

Also see F2 Assign Fn Button on page 253 of the manual. To assign preview button or AE-L/AF-L button, see page 256.

I keep a piece of paper in between page 230 & 231. The custom setting chart on page 230 is a terrific reference and directs you to the page that tells you how to change the setting.

You have a great tool. It took me 3 weeks before I fine tuned it to work the way I like to work.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • Ronin_1Ronin_1 Posts: 9Member
    Thank you, Photobug. I was at a Speedlight workshop and the leader was able to get all of the other bodies to assign My Menus to the Function button, but not my D7100 and I drew a blank as you have seen. I suppose I should ask Nikon why the change. I have FV assigned to the depth of field preview button. I have the AEL button configured for back button focus.

May I ask what other configuration changes you have made?

Thanks and best regards.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited April 2014
    I have the Pv (preview) button assigned to the top item in 'my menu' (delayed exposure) and the Fn button assigned to the level (I find the level inferior to the D7000's).
    My U1 is star trails and U2 is night sky shots, My AE-L button is currently focus lock (on push) and crop mode selection when the sub-command dial is rotated.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Thank you, Photobug. I was at a Speedlight workshop and the leader was able to get all of the other bodies to assign My Menus to the Function button, but not my D7100 and I drew a blank as you have seen. I suppose I should ask Nikon why the change. I have FV assigned to the depth of field preview button. I have the AEL button configured for back button focus.

May I ask what other configuration changes you have made?

Thanks and best regards.
    Your welcome.

I have assigned the Fn button to the level. Really like this feature. Over the past few years I have deleted far too many files because of the horizon not being level. I can tell you this has made a huge difference in my keeper rate. On the D300 I use to use the etched lines and that helped but the level has made a difference. The level in the live view is good but I much prefer the level in the view finder.

I have set U1 for general photography with aperture priority mode with a bunch of tweaks for AF. I use U2 for children photography and groups. I have used AE-L button for back focus and have it turned off now.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Hi again,

I just thought I would post back. I found out what the problem was that kept me from assigning "MyMenus" in case it is of interest to you. All the way down at the bottom of Menus is a Tab which, by default, is "Recent Items". Down that menu is "Choose tab" which allows you to select "MyMenu" which then makes the tab on the left MyMenu which can be assigned to the Function button. After that you can add items to the list, reorder them and so on.

There are a number of items in the Custom Settings menu which can not be assigned to the Function button because they have a dedicated button already. Auto ISO, for example, is accessed by pressing the ISO button to the left of the LCD and moving the wheel just under the shutter release.

The level is useful. I do wish someone in the opposition research department at Nikon would look at some of the Sony viewfinders that have a in-the-viewfinder continuous display that is very much like an aircraft turn and bank indicator. That would be very helpful in a number of situations.

Cheers
    edited April 2014
    Spraynpray,

Thanks for posting. Several people I know have been shooting star trails with numerous exposures which they merge in post. As I understand it, they are shooting a sequence of exposures which they have configured their bodies to keep shooting while they stretch out and catch a little rest during the hours long sequence. I am starting to research exposures for that type of shot as they are getting some very interesting results.

Cheers
    Post edited by Ronin_1 on
    You're welcome @Ronin_1.

There is a little more to the settings than just shooting a sequence for trails. If it were only a case of one or two button presses, I wouldn't bother with using U1 configured for it. As to stretching out LOL! - the best nights are cold nights so exercising to keep hypothermia away is more likely! Some nights I can't feel my controls any more. @-)
    Always learning.
    spraynpray,

If I might ask, how do you go about shooting star trails?

Thanks!
    edited April 2014
    There are undoubtedly better people to ask about this subject than me because although I've done a little and know the settings, I live in one of the most light polluted countries in the world - England - so between the light pollution and rotten weather, I don't get the opportunities I would like. Here is my technique for trails anyway:

You really want a clear, moonless night with cold crisp weather. To avoid big gaps in the trails so you need to turn all the in-camera processing off (long exposure NR and Hi ISO NR). Shoot raw, open your aperture and set your ISO as high as poss so you get 30 second exposures. The exact exposure depends on the level of unwanted light more than anything. Set your intervalometer for 200-300 shots at 33 second intervals (if exposure is 30 seconds) to allow the camera to get back ready after each shot. Even with the in-camera processing turned off it will not get back ready in one or two seconds (IME). White balance is to taste, but I found 3450k works for me. Most of the foregoing settings are pre-programmed in my U1 range. Also you need to set your focus to manual and focus using live view zoomed it to get the starts as small (sharp as possible). If your trails have an interesting foreground it is good to shoot one frame focussed on that with any light painting done before you start the trails and don't forget to shoot a dark frame after to use in post.

Having acquired the data, you process it in Starstax or similar.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.