Will there be D800 Firmware update in 2014?

deejaysouldeejaysoul Posts: 25Member
edited April 2014 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
Does anybody know if there will be one or Im just holding my breath?
Post edited by deejaysoul on
D800, D7000, Nikon 24-70mm 2.8f, Nikon 70-200mm2.8f, Nikon 16mm2.8f, Nikon 80-200mm 2.8f, Nikon 10.5mm 2.8f, Nikkor 55mm Micro 3.5f, Sigma 24-70mm 2.8f, Sigma 18-250mm 3.5-5.6f, Sigma 14mm 2.8f, Tokina 14-24mm 4f, Nikon SB600 & SB700
Tagged:

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    What are you expecting in the update? Nikon has a pretty good track record of not adding new functionality via firmware updates. Usually firmware just fixes bugs or tweaks some existing functionality.
  • deejaysouldeejaysoul Posts: 25Member
    Not sure what to expect. I guess with all recent findings with nikonhackers, I thought maybe Nikon would give in a bit a release an update with all the hidden features they disabled. But if it had to be a wish list item, focusing peaking on live view could be a nice option. Or maybe the an option to shoot at 16-24mp photo while taking advantage of the pixel density of the 36mp sensor.
    D800, D7000, Nikon 24-70mm 2.8f, Nikon 70-200mm2.8f, Nikon 16mm2.8f, Nikon 80-200mm 2.8f, Nikon 10.5mm 2.8f, Nikkor 55mm Micro 3.5f, Sigma 24-70mm 2.8f, Sigma 18-250mm 3.5-5.6f, Sigma 14mm 2.8f, Tokina 14-24mm 4f, Nikon SB600 & SB700
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Nikon firmware updates only fix things. Lets put it this way, I've yet to see them add any meaningful features via a firmware update, so don't get your hopes up.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    If by fixing things it can mean fixing focus trapping, then I am all for an update. :)
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited April 2014
    If you update you add the hidden anti third party programming and could give yourself problems ,,if you dont have a problem dont update ...I would like to see the useless memories turned into U1 and U2 types like the D7100/D610 style..ie turn it off/on and it goes back exactly to your settings.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    If you update you add the hidden anti third party programming and could give yourself problems
    There is nothing hidden. Nikon has no obligation to support third party lenses, grips and batteries, which are not licensed products. While it is kind of lame that Nikon does not licence third party manufactures to make these things, that's the reality.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I just feel sorry for people who have a good working camera and update because its the thing to do and end up with a camera that now does not function correctly and they have no way back...
    As long as you have downloaded an older version of the firmware you can go back. That doesn't help if the issue appears on the first update mind you.
    I just feel sorry for people who have a good working camera and update because its the thing to do and end up with a camera that now does not function correctly and they have no way back...
    How often does this really happen?

And what types of software updates are irreversable?
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    As long as you have downloaded an older version of the firmware you can go back. That doesn't help if the issue appears on the first update mind you.
    One must be able to reload the original firmware (surely the service centres can do it), it's just getting ones hands on it to do so. Having said that, if the rumour that there are anti-third party accessories features built into it is true, I'm sure we would never see it available.

That rumour is still a rumour isn't it?
    Always learning.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    How often does this really happen?

And what types of software updates are irreversable?
    It's not a "software update" it's a "firmware" update. Big difference. My DSLR's, Oppo Blu-ray player, and my preamp all allow firmware updates. If you lose power during an update your equipment is a block of junk. It's not user fixable and must go back to the factory.

Any individual that winds up with a corrupt update is bad news.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • ls_nilssonls_nilsson Posts: 1Member
    So at least here in Sweden we have now a new update, A1.10 and B1.10. And it fixes the focus trap issue. We can now all do this as we have wished for :)
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited May 2014
    European update here
    https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/c/648#tabtop
    seems mostly to do with UT-1 Communication Unit
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited May 2014
    Nikon USA here

The question is do I upgrade before my event this weekend? I'll answer myself. Nope.
    I'll upgrade mine on monday.
    It looks like focus trap is fixed?
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
    Nikon USA here
    Thanks for the heads-up. This update looks pretty good. Glad they are addressing the focus trap issue. :)

Finally got off my butt and uploaded the firmware. I am very pleased at the ability to map the "record" button to ISO. I never do video, so there is not loss for me. I always found using the left hand button for ISO to be rather cumbersome and always required me to take my eyes off the viewfinder.

I have not tried focus trapping yet. But so far, I like the update.
  • deejaysouldeejaysoul Posts: 25Member
    I have been using the update, but I can I notice any improvements. But at least I learn about "focus traps", it will be something new to play with.
    Focus trapping is not something that most photographers use or ever want to use. It is kinda a niche functionality. However, if you need Focus Trapping, there are few work arounds.
  • NukeNuke Posts: 64Member
    So are you saying the camera will allow you to install an older firmware version over top of a newer version?

I am by no means, saying you are wrong but a friend of mine asked this same question of Nikon support and he was told it was not possible to do.

I haven't collected the firmware versions but would do so or go looking for older versions if I had issues.

I've never tried it myself, never needed to, but that's what I've heard from the Nikon hacking community.
  • NukeNuke Posts: 64Member
    edited May 2014
    Well somethings have to be tested and I did.

I found the older 1.02 update and the camera installed it fine. I thought the older update said A 1.02 and B 1.02 but what I got was A 1.01 and B 1.02.

Does not matter, I then turned around and installed the newest 1.10 firmware and I'm back to where I started from.
    Post edited by Nuke on
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    That was funny to read had my Chuckles. Thank's...

Chas
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

• Scuderia1Scuderia1 Posts: 82Member
    I have not updated my firmware since purchasing the camera in 2013. I have been trying to download the files but it says the files aren't found.. Has anyone else tried to update the firmware recently?

I may just call Nikon..
    Nikon D800 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8g | Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 300mm f/4 (+Nikon TC1.4x)
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    What URL or website are you going to?
  • Scuderia1Scuderia1 Posts: 82Member
    Nikon D800 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8g | Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 300mm f/4 (+Nikon TC1.4x)