5 Rookie Mistakes Made by Landscape Photographers

JamesMillerJamesMiller Posts: 10Member
edited April 2014 in General Discussions
If you are interested in landscape photography I’m sure you have read lots of “how to improve…” type articles, which are all useful in their own way. But often to get things right you need to analyse what you are doing wrong. With this in mind here are 5 common mistakes that can spoil a landscape.

http://www.photographytalk.com/4343-5-rookie-mistakes-made-by-landscape-photographers

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    The number of people that use good equipment and shoot in dull light is pretty common. But the one I laugh at are those who shoot with a 1600m lens, manual focus, and get all excited about their fussy no contrast pictures. Their pictures just are not sharp in all the details.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    /rant on

Please, for all that is holy, can we stop with the drastically tilted horizon shots??? It stopped being novel exactly the second time it was done.

Dutch/German angle shots can be useful for medium/close shots, but not for landscapes.

One Tog I know does this for all his landscape shots. Making a scene look weird is not always making it look better.

/rant off

Level horizons for landscapes: Learn it, Love it; Live it. :)
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Yeah, the first thing you should care about is making your horizon level. If you are not even doing that........
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator