Windows 8.1 Driver

TonyTony Posts: 4Member
edited April 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Hi.

Just bought a D3200 and cannot get it to communicate with my PC it appears there is no Driver installed and none to download from the Nikon website,
I am using Windows 8.1 but it all works o.k. on my laptop with windows 7 Where can I download a Driver from a reliable source ?? for windows 8.1

Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Tony.

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    The camera drivers are usually generic for the OS. What error message are you getting?
  • michael66michael66 Posts: 231Member
    Why not take the memory cards out of the camera and copy the files manually? I know that doesn't solve your specific problem, but what benefit does one derive from connecting the camera to the PC, directly?
  • TonyTony Posts: 4Member
    Hi.
    Many thanks for the input, no error messages just a yellow triangle next to the driver icon in the device manager,

I am manually transferring files by inserting the SDHC card no big deal but there is the possibility of wear and tear on the camera card door?

Thanks again.
    Tony.
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    The card door is probably much more robust than the micro-USB port on the D3200...

Also the camera's USB port is only USB 2.0, so if you have a newer computer with USB 3 (and a USB 3 card reader) then you can potentially transfer files much faster by using the card reader.

Weird though that your computer cannot connect to the camera.
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Do you have the newest firmware C: 1.03 .
    Hi.

Thanks again No I do think not have the firmware?

Tony.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I would try removing the device driver and then re-inserting the camera cable. That should force a re-load of the driver. Also are you using the cable that came with the camera, and turning the camera on after the cable has been inserted? I agree with the comments here that it will be much faster to load directly from the card.
    Hi.

Yes tried this several times no joy, tried updating driver from device manager and get message "windows found driver software but encountered an error while trying to install" Also the camera only records images in NEF RAW regardless of what it is set to in the menu so I am going to call Jessops tomorrow and see if they can help ?

Tony.