Leica T

NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
edited April 2014 in Other Manufacturers
Just wondering if anyone was planning on getting one of these. I certainly cannot afford even the kit lens. I don't see anything in the camera you couldn't do with say, a Sony NEX-7.

You could probably get that with a Leica M mount adaptor and an old Leica lens for the body and kit lens price.
Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Well, I suppose if one wants this…great….but, I want something which I do not have to add stuff to make it work, i.e., the viewfinder. I find this Leica extremely disappointing.

In the mirrorless camera I purchase as a real workhorse, it must do what I want out of the box. And, an EVF which,when I place my eye up to it and see what looks like a DSLR image… this is what I want. I suspect we will see this, and possibly in the next year or so. It is a shame Leica did not come through with a superb mirrorless, but it does not appear they have. And, this is not the only issue with the camera.
    Msmoto, mod
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    It's a Leica. Handmade, beautiful, superb lenses, well thought out all the way through, and damn expensive. My eyebrows peeked when I saw the announcement, and actually the price ($1,900) isn't too bad for the body all considering. Each lens being above $1,700, EVF $500, and the usual high price for accessories it pushes it out of the realm where the adjective "stretching the pocketbook" can no longer be used. I have M-mount glass already that I would love to use but that is a bit much and on a crop sensor (DX) my lenses all turn in to Teles.

I think it looks like an amazing camera. I'm on the opposite side of Msmoto - I think it is superb and much nicer than anything else out there. The few images I was able to download were hands down better than anything any other mirrorless can produce. I really like how Leica deals with noise where it appears Luminescence Noise seems to be just "knocked out" or replaced with grey rather than smashing pixels together. Creates a sharper image and adds "grain" to the end result.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    On a positive note… the glass, if up to Leica's usual quality will be stunning….
    Body from a machined piece of aluminum. For sure, quality. I have a preamplifier remote from Mark Levinson, machined from a block of aluminum and yes, it gives a very nice "feel" in one's hand.

This camera may be super for someone folks. But for the body and lens, viewfinder….$4400. Wow!

I just think we can find something which will produce images of equal quality for less money.
    Msmoto, mod
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    The images do have the "Leica" look which can't be replicated. At the same time, you can make great images with something much cheaper for sure. Consider this, what is worth more, this or the Hassy Lunar? ;)

Leica is for people with a bunch of disposable income who really do appreciate refined objects. I do find that price really hard to swallow, much more than just one of their M bodies. For that Price you can get a used M9 or M-E if you are looking to mount M-glass on.

I hope other manufactures look at the refinements and make some effort to achieve a better quality.

D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Beautiful, well designed camera with a unique touch screen interface. I like some of the features and design choices, hard to believe that some meaningful innovation came from Leica of all companies.

Will I ever buy I Leica T? Most likely not, but I hope some other camera companies are looking at it and going, why didn't we think of that?
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    I played around with a Sony A7 series yesterday and I love its compact form-factor even though the camera is full-frame. So I think I'm truly done with DX and therefore the Leica T is out for me due to the sensor format alone.

My brother is enjoying his new Leica M type 240. I'm tempted to go the same direction but I think I'm going to wait to see the next generation of cameras to decide. What I really want is something like a full-frame version of the Leica T (i.e., a non-rangefinder M autofocus) and I have a feeling Sony will deliver something close sooner than the competition.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    I was actually naive in thinking that this new Leica release might somehow drop the prices a bit more on the M body series such as the M240 and also the M9 series. I really miss having a digital M system to compliment my Nikon setup. I guess I will just have to continue to save sign...

Back to the topic at hand, the recent Sony releases are much more interesting than this Leica T I think. Although Leica made a good decision on allowing this T body to accept M system lenses. If I were in the market for this type of camera I would purchase the Sony RX1r instead.
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

I think I with Ade... I beginning to think my next box will have 'Sony' printed on it.. Or RIP.. Which ever comes first.

My best,

Mike
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Hi all,

I think I with Ade... I beginning to think my next box will have 'Sony' printed on it.. Or RIP.. Which ever comes first.

My best,

Mike
    Wow, talk about morbid... :D
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

@NSXTypeR - Wait until you start buying things and _really_ look at the expiration dates... Naturally, the type is getting smaller and smaller.

My best,

Mike