D7000 user looking for p&s

Swame_spSwame_sp Posts: 58Member
edited April 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Hey all,

For few reasons, I'm without my D7000 here and would like to buy a point and shoot to complement the DSLR when I get it back. I guess it's good to have RAW capture and something that has manual controls.

I had pano FZ 28 (yeah long time ago) and felt it was very slow. do not have any specific budget, may be $500? Not looking for the V1 and J1s from nikon. Any brand is fine!

Comments

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited April 2014
    if the quality is to complement the D7000 your only choice is a Fuji X100 or X100s secondhand maybe
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited April 2014
    Buy a D3200 or D3300 - you get to use your D7000's lenses on it...
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Sony RX100 Mk II would do it very well. It's not cheap, but it's about the best advanced point and shoot there is.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • Swame_spSwame_sp Posts: 58Member
    Buy a D3200 or D3300 - you get to use your D7000's lenses on it...
    Not looking at an SLR. P&S will be a better option for now.
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Some of the Nikon P cameras are good and carry manual features. I got my parents a P310 for Christmas...not sure if they use it, but it got good reviews. I think I would get something like the P7800 maybe or the P520 depending on what features you wanted. I honestly looked at all brands and features for the price it seemed like the Nikon P cameras were good.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited April 2014
    The Pseries is a good camera. My wife uses a P6000 when she wants something for her purse or to take to a luncheon. So go check out the new Pseries or better yet, get the P7700 which is now replaced by the P7800. The price should come down this month.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • Swame_spSwame_sp Posts: 58Member
    Fuji is way over the budget, for that price, I could get my camera kit shipped here :)

I think sony looks like a nice option. For the nikon p series, common complain is about the slowness. Reading some reviews for Sony.
  • BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member
    Form factor: pocketable or DSLR-like? EVF or no EVF? I once owned the FZ28 and used it as my main travel camera. For the time, I thought it was a pretty decent P+S camera. I now own the FZ200, a successor to the FZ28, and find it very useful for travel. Took it on a solar eclipse expedition to the South Pacific in 2012 and got some excellent shots of the eclipsed sun during totality. Also have used it for birding. The FZ200 sells for $600 brand new, $400 used.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Why not the Nikon1 cameras ? I use a Nikon1V1 and it complements my DX and FX cameras well.. having the same battery and using the same lenses..
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    For the nikon p series, common complain is about the slowness.
    Bit like watching paint dry
    The P7000 is fine in good lighting condition but like so many P&S hopeless at high ISO

• MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

A lot depends upon your use and expectations.

I have two point and shoot cameras for my wife and I to use when traveling, and I specifically don't want to lug around any gear, a Canon G15 and a Fuji XF1.

Image quality is about the same in both. The Fuji focus faster, and perhaps truer, the Canon is built better, and thus may last a bit long - but frankly, with the way of such things, I look at the life cycle of these cameras as almost disposable after a while.

The Canon has a smaller sensor. The Fuji shares the same 2/3" sensor as the Fuji X20 as most of its features.

Both are pretty good to carry around, the Fuji is reasonably pocket-able.

My best,

Mike
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    edited May 2014
    I purchased my Coolpix A for exactly the purpose that the OP suggested. Many of the pictures that I post are from that camera.

The Coolpix A is the best camera that money can buy that will fit in my shirt pockets, period. The Sony and Fuji competitors will not fit in my shirt pocket, or even my suit pocket.

It is a 16mp sensor and is DX, just like the D3xxx, D5xxx and D7xxx line of cameras.

However, the sensor is not important. The beauty of this camera is really its lens.

The lens is a prime 18.5mm f/2.8, which is a 28mm equivalent. It is very very sharp with no distortion. Nikon really put a lot of thought into the lens. The Coolpix A, matched against any DX DSLR, will produce superior image quality unless the DX DSLR has a professional grade prime on it, except that there is no professional grade prime available in the correct focal length (remember, it needs to be 18.5mm to produce a 28mm FX equivalent). This means that if you want to shoot at 24-28mm (35mm equivalent) and get better results, you will need to buy an FX camera and pair it with the 24mm 1.4G.

Nikon could have made the lens a little faster (say f/2.0) but did not as it would compromise lens quality. This is really a lens designed for the professional that wants a great walk around camera. Most people can't understand it because it does not have "zoom". Some will complain about the price (about $1,100) and based on specs it looks wanting, until you consider the lens which has been poorly promoted by Nikon.

They could have added a 24mp sensor. The lens is one of the few good enough to probably take advantage of it. But then the camera would have been even more expensive.

It produces better landscape shots than my D800 below except when I pair my D800 with my MF 28mm f/2.8. But that is only at f/5.6 - f/8.0. At f/2.8, my Coolpix A wins.

Someday I will buy the 24mm 1.4G which will produce a superior result, but I can't put it in my suit pocket and bring it to work every day.
    Post edited by WestEndBoy on
    I see two problems with suggestions. The interchangeable lens cameras like the Nikon 1 still don't focus that quickly. If you expect dSLR type focusing you aren't going to get it. Also the price of the cameras people suggesting as reasonable substitutes are more than a dSLR. Even the Nikon D3XXX line can be had for under $500. To me there isn't a point in the really expensive point and shoots. I have my Nikon S31, but I got it for a specific purpose. Cheap and water proof. Nice to carry around anywhere and can take it to the pool or beach. Cost under $100. For the $1000 of the Coolpix A you can get a refurbished D7100 and a lens or two.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
    I see two problems with suggestions. The interchangeable lens cameras like the Nikon 1 still don't focus that quickly. If you expect dSLR type focusing you aren't going to get it. Also the price of the cameras people suggesting as reasonable substitutes are more than a dSLR. Even the Nikon D3XXX line can be had for under $500. To me there isn't a point in the really expensive point and shoots. I have my Nikon S31, but I got it for a specific purpose. Cheap and water proof. Nice to carry around anywhere and can take it to the pool or beach. Cost under $100. For the $1000 of the Coolpix A you can get a refurbished D7100 and a lens or two.
    But it won't fit in your pocket. That is the point.

If you are buying a point and shoot, is it because of price or size? If it is price, I agree with you TCole. If size, then I don't. Don't you want superior image quality in any size camera that you buy? The Coolpix A is built for the size customer that doesn't want to compromise on image quality. The rest of the Coolpix line is for the price customer - well that is a bit harsh, some want a small size AND zoom.

One thing that they could have done better with the Coolpix A is faster focus. Yes, it is a mirrorless camera, but some of the competitors are a little better. However, it is a minor quibble.
    edited May 2014
    Here is a Coolpix A shot

Reflections on Three Valley Lake
    edited May 2014
    And another:

DSC_3518.jpg
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    Just bought the wife a Canon Powershot G16. To be honest, I love it ... and so does she. Nice and compact with enough weight to feel substantial - not plasticy. Pocketable. Pictures are wonderful. Under $500.
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

@Westend...I wasn't arguing it took good pictures, just priced a bit steep.I couldn't afford one...especially for a extra camera.

@Westend...I wasn't arguing it took good pictures, just priced a bit steep.I couldn't afford one...especially for a extra camera.

Sorry if I interpreted your point the wrong way.

And I think that this is one of the most under appreciated cameras in any camera manufacturer's lineup. That may have influenced my response.

Sorry if I interpreted your point the wrong way.

And I think that this is one of the most under appreciated cameras in any camera manufacturer's lineup. That may have influenced my response.
    I know it has gotten good reviews. I looked at them while shopping for my parents last Christmas. I wound up getting my parents a refurbished P310 because the price was right. It looks like the A is about the same size as the P300's. It would be nice to have a high quality smaller camera to carry around...I won't lie...I wanted to keep the one I got for my parents. Even the Nikon 1 cameras aren't pocket size though...just smaller. I have been waiting to buy a new dSLR body for a while though and the D7100 has dipped into the mid $800 for a refurbished one. So when someone says the Coolpix A is over $1000 is kind of makes you wonder. If you had the money and purpose I am sure it is awesome.
    But with a DX DSLR I don't think can get one under $1000 with a pancake 16mm f 2.8
    but I am happy to be proved wrong
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited May 2014
    Perhaps the camera rumored to be the start of a Nikon D2500 series, smaller than the D3300 series, will enable pocket-ability with a pancake lens and use of existing f-mount lenses when desired. I could go for one of those. I would want the same senor as found in the D3300 in a body I can put into a large pocket and it should be priced less than a D3300 kit.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
    edited May 2014
    Perhaps the camera rumored to be the start of a Nikon D2500 series, smaller than the D3300 series, will enable pocket-ability with a pancake lens and use of existing f-mount lenses when desired. I.
    With an F mount, the distance between the flange and the "film" plane cannot be reduced. A wide angel lens will have retro focus, so again I think there is a size limitation

I think any pocket camera is going to have to be Mirror less

Post edited by sevencrossing on