Five Things That Will Ruin Your Photography Career

JamesMillerJamesMiller Posts: 10Member
edited April 2014 in General Discussions
There are just a few things in your photography career that can almost totally ruin your current business, future career prospects or even your life. See if you agree…

http://www.photographytalk.com/3408-five-things-that-will-ruin-your-photography-career

Comments

• framerframer Posts: 491Member
    Show up high...

framer
  • ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    I don't think they take the word 'ruin' seriously enough in the article.

Ruin = destroy.

Shooting a session at a high ISO might make you reshoot it, but it is not unrecoverable from a career standpoint.

Getting a model killed/maimed through carelessness, or sexually assaulting one... now that's ruin.
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

Mistaking battery acid for Visine©?

Confusing shooting in the raw instead of shooting RAW?

Where do folks get these things?

My best,

Mike
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    Hi all,

Mike
    If you must shoot in the raw, make sure you sign a model release.

... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• safyresafyre Posts: 113Member
    This article should be renamed, 5 tips for Amateurs venturing into Professional Photography.

If you're already a professional, this "advice" should be second nature to you. And if it isn't, I'll make a note to not book you for the next wedding; lol.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    Run the film through the camera twice
    leave the lens cap on
    Develop in Fixer
    Forget to load the double dark slide
    Forget to lock the darkroom door
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    Hi all,

Mike
    I shot in the raw once. The model made fun of my 35mm pancake. (cry)

Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • FritzFritz Posts: 140Member
    Never let your F3 bounce off the hood of your ambulance on the front straight of New Hampshire International Speedway - it went tumbling along the pavement and hit the wall and survived! So don't forget where you left it. Don't wash your spare batteries in your coat pockets either. Don't grab your battery pack for your flash and find out later its the one you didn't charge last night. Don't leave your Mac Mini and your back up hard drives plugged in when you have a lightning strike. Don't fall off the back of a WW2 tank with your D4, don't go swimming in a beaver pond with your D700. Don't leave your new D700 on the front seat of your pickup and don't forget to clean ALL the window glass off the seat before you drive home. And NEVER lend your F3 to your wife's niece for her college course 8 years ago ( at least its still going strong). Never drop your D3s, lens first onto a concrete floor. And NEVER EVER lend your NEW NEW D700 to your brother-in-law for his daughter,s wedding.
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    Fritz, these are all hypotheticals right? :)
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    I worked for a guy that once drop his camera off a scaffold and dove head first to catch it. He had a photo that someone else took of him in the air. The rest of the story was the POTUS was below on the stage. That was 1967ish. I think he had some brain damage because every year he would buy a bigger cross to wear around his neck. By 1974 the cross had grown to 12 x 18 inches and covered most of his torso. Nobody wanted to hire him because he got weird. He went bankrupt and closed his photo business.

This is a true story.

framer
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    Where is "Leave your lens cap on for your entire session?"

This lists are annoying.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

Another of our own @JamesMiller - PhotographyTalk self promotion website started sites...

I don't think I mind so much that he mooched off NR, if he actually contributed something - James, Jim, Jimmy? - Are you listening? Time to fess up and add to the conversation - you ears should be burning, we are talking about you.

Don't redirect, be direct. Interact. Say, hello. Tell a story.

@JamesMiller - we really miss you!

My best,

Mike