Articulating LCD screen on a D800, D4s, or any pro camera?

sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
edited May 2014 in D300/D300s/D500
There is no articulating LCD screen on the D800, D4, D4s, and any other pro camera. ...........
The flip screen is only on the D5000 series DSLR camera body. It could appear on the D7200 but I would not bet $$$$ on it
So does any one want a flip screen on there Pro cameras ?
Post edited by sevencrossing on

Comments

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Not me. Such a screens would put the overall functionality of a pro-body at risk given some of the harsh condition that they are so often used in.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I do. I take Ali's point, but I think they could be incorporated in such a way that they are not a weakness when not in use. I find them extremely useful when using both low and high positions on my tripod and also internal architectural shooting.

YMMV.
    Always learning.
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    Smartphones and tablets are becoming the new remote flip screens to some degree.
    But apart from that, I agree there are quite some cases where it would be very usefull, so I would say yes. You would use it for those shots, but it would stay locked most of the time, obviously.
    As for the risk that it breaks, would a "pro flip screen" be worse than flashes, wifi-dongles, etc.?
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I do not think a flip screen on a D4 would be that useful. After awhile, I pretty know where the camera is pointed and what I am capturing in the frame without viewing the rear screen or looking into the eyepiece. Some may disagree, but idea from Ali regarding the conditions…I can really beat up a camera, not intentionally but I simply am intent on getting the image I want and sometimes the camera takes the abuse.

On a D800/E, this might be very useful to set up static shots, landscapes, products, etc. Strange shooting angles when clients are present would be one instance when a flip screen might be helpful.
    Msmoto, mod
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    For the D4
    I was thinking of occasions like this
    http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01969/photographers-van_1969821i.jpg

for the D800
    I was thing thinking of wild flowers and some wildlife, which sometimes benefit from being photographed at ground level
    Yes, I see what they are doing and IMO, after using the camera for thousands of shots, one can simply point and shoot, no real need to see what is in the viewfinder as one knows by experience.

However, this is only one opinion….and we all have one…..LOL :-B
    Msmoto, mod
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Perhaps a link up with a tablet will be the way pro cameras substitute for an articulating LCD while still maintaining their weather sealing.
    I would love a simple, affordable and reliable way of linking my D800 to my iPad
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I would say yes and no.

yes: For street shooting this would be great for candids. With an Ultra wide and low angle shots this would be helpful.

no: Like @Msmoto said I already know how to position the camera for hip shots while doing street photos.

Yes: For the times that I put the camera on the monopod and raised the camera I guessed the view of the photo and it took several times and there it would have been helpful.
    Perhaps a link up with a tablet will be the way pro cameras substitute for an articulating LCD while still maintaining their weather sealing.
    No: with the DF I have the WU-1a its a nifty idea once it decides to work correctly on the iphone.

Conclusion: sure why not

• cowleystjamescowleystjames Posts: 74Member
    Wouldn't want one, bit like Msmoto, I can pretty much judge what I'm shooting if necessary. If not, I have a right angle viewfinder attachment.
    I like my D4s rugged and if an articulated screen was put on it I would consider it a weak point.
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

A working photojournalist would be able to increase his/her viewpoint from the ground up to hands high as much as one can climb on anything available.

Yes. Without any shred doubt from one who has been there and shot blindly and hoped and lost shots. Even a tiny screen would would be and is a godsend.

My best,

Mike
    Re shooting form the hip. Just beware, in parts of world, this is likely get you slung in jail; needles to say, its the parts of world, were jail is exceedingly bad news
    Most of the negative seems to be concerns about reliability, I am assuming if introduced to a pro camera reliability would not be compromised
    but I suspect this may not be possible
    Has any one with a Nikon flip screen had any issues ?
  • KoruKoru Posts: 36Member
    I have a D5100 and haven't encountered any issues. I love the articulated screen and find it very useful, but quite frankly, most of the time it's tucked away. So it doesn't really put the camera at risk of damage. A tablet connection would be great but might limit mobility. I understand that many don't "need" it, but maybe it's one of those features you don't need until you have it?
    D5100 18-55VR 70-300VR
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited May 2014
    There is no articulating LCD screen on the D800, D4, D4s, and any other pro camera. ...........
    The flip screen is only on the D5000 series DSLR camera body. It could appear on the D7200 but I would not bet $$$$ on it
    So does any one want a flip screen on there Pro cameras ?
    Thanks @sevencrossing for starting this thread.

+1 @Golf's & @Msmoto statements. That is a big concern from my perspective..durability.

Totally agree with @Koru, he has an articulated LCD and doesn't really use it much.

Sure for certain situations there is an advantage of having an adjustable LCD screen (ground shots & over the top parade shots) but why add cost and a feature to a Pro body that few will use and seldom will be used. Rather see the money used for some other improvement.

Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Hi all,

I also have a D5200 that I use for travel and for video and when I know that I will need the the screen. It has been terrific.

If the D5200 had more features - an internal motor, (and really was a D7100 ;-) ) I would be in 7th heaven.

I doubt the cost of the screen is much and I haven't ever hear of one breaking off, ever. And it wouldn't take a very sharp tool to understand that you don't have to pull the screen out if you don't _want_ to. ;-)

My best,

Mike
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited May 2014
    The ability to have an articulating screen does have its advantages for sure; and if it can be shown to be as rigid and durable to with stand harsh condition, as I stated, then it would be a nice feature to have incorporated into a body. However, given that most pro-bodies are all made of a magnesium alloy this would be the weakest point, IMHO.

The advantage that I personally see in such screens are for those that shoot a lot of video. For still images, like the one shared by sevencrissing, I would think that such a image is being taken at f8 or higher, thus so long as you have focus, then you should be able to get the shot. The composition is a different story. Just put the body in CH and fire away. Which, I have a feeling those photographers were doing in the first place.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    @sevencrossing I usually do hip shots for cars or anything that needs to be low and I can't kneel.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    edited May 2014
    For street photography just focus a 28 mm lens out about 10 feet at f/5.6, turn auto-focus off if you have it, point in the general direction and you are good to go. Crop in post as necessary.

For close to ground work, I have Nikon's right angle eyepiece (DR-5 Right Angle Viewfinder). I can put the camera right on the ground and just look down. It even allows you to switch between a 1 and 2 reproduction ratio. It is about $200.
    Post edited by WestEndBoy on
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    Rigidity and durability aren't real issues. Pro video cameras such as those used for electronic news gathering have been equipped with articulating screens for years and years -- and they are used in every harsh conditions including covering major wars, civil disturbances, extreme adverse weather, etc.

Let's face it... for many people a tilt or articulating screen is seen as a "consumer" feature, similar to pop-up flashes and U1/U2 settings.

The marketing droids at Nikon and Canon understand this very well and exploit this false differentiation to their advantage. We are conditioned that "pro" cameras aren't "supposed to" have these features, even if they are actually very useful.

On flip side, we're seeing rugged weather-sealed magnesium-alloy cameras from Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, etc., all with articulating screens, so the market perception is already changing.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The real downside to a articulating screen is the added bulk, that comes from the hinging mechanism.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Hi all,

@Ade - Well said...

And a lot of professionals are having a look see at Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, etc.

I don't think that _any_ argument against an articulating screen holds weight except marketing.

Sad view of their customers.

My best,

Mike
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited May 2014
    I have used the one on my D5100 when I wanted to get the camera down close to the ground with myself having to lie on the ground. Perhaps, Nikon can move it up market to the D7100 and D610? Or perhaps Nikon can consider producing camera's with optional packages like automakers do. There could be the base D7100 and then a optional package version with an increased buffer and articulating LCD for maybe $200 more. Same for the D610; an optional package with 51 point autofocus, articulating screen and larger buffer for maybe $300 more. Don't know if that would cause much problem on an assembly line.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
    OK, I will admit I have a CamRanger for my iPad. And, when I am shooting off the end of a monopod I will shoot multiple images from slightly different positions so as to capture the one I want.

Next admission, in action shots, my technique may not be that great, And, the CamRange is slow.
    Msmoto, mod
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    At the end of the day, DSLRs will have WiFi and when you take a picture, a JPEG, in addition to showing up on the LCD screen, will show up on Google Glass.

Live preview will probably also work this way too.

That is when I will get excited, Until then, all I went is better glass.