D800/e Firmware update available

cowleystjamescowleystjames Posts: 74Member
edited May 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Get it here guys:
https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/...ail/a_id/60442

Modifications enabled in this version

Custom Setting f13 has been changed to Assign Movie Record Button.
With Custom Setting f13 changed to Assign Movie Record Button, Assign MB-D12 AF-ON is now Custom Setting f14.
Custom Setting f15: Assign Remote Fn Button has been added.
The following functions have been added or renamed when the D800 is used with the Communication Unit UT-1 running firmware Ver. 2.0. A Network (UT-1) option has been added to, and Wireless transmitter has been renamed Wireless transmitter (WT-4) in, the setup menu.
Function that has been added:
- HTTP server mode
Use to view the pictures on the camera memory card, or to take photographs, from the web browser on a computer or iPhone.
Functions that have been renamed:
- FTP upload mode (previously Transfer mode (FTP))
Use to upload photos and movies from camera memory cards, or to upload photos as they are taken, to an ftp server.
- Image transfer mode (previously Transfer mode (PC))
Use to upload photos and movies from camera memory cards, or to upload photos as they are taken, to a computer.
- Camera control mode (previously PC mode)
Use to control the camera from a computer running Camera Control Pro 2 (available separately) and save photos and movies directly to the computer.
To enable support for these functions, Communication Unit UT-1 firmware must be updated to Ver. 2.0 or later, and the Wireless Transmitter Utility must be updated to Ver. 1.5.0 or later. When camera firmware is updated, network profiles specified with earlier firmware versions cannot be used. Network profiles must be created again.
Support for the updated version of Communication Unit UT-1 firmware has been added.
Support for CompactFlash memory cards with capacities greater than 128 GB has been added.
When AF-ON only was selected for Custom Setting a4 (AF activation) and the AF-ON button was pressed to initiate autofocus during viewfinder photography, focus remained locked even after the user took their finger off the button, and the shutter could be released at any time. However, specifications have been modified so that the shutter cannot be released under the following conditions if the camera fails to focus.
- Autofocus mode is set to AF-S (single-servo AF)
- AF-area mode is set to Single-point AF
- Custom Setting a2 (AF-S priority selection) is set to Focus
When values for 12 or 18 lenses were stored with AF fine-tune > Saved value in the setup menu, only some of the lenses for which values had been stored were displayed under List saved values. This issue has been resolved.
When the live view selector was set to live view photography with Custom Setting g4 (Assign shutter button) set to Record movies, a value for preset manual white balance could not be measured. This issue has been resolved.
When the built-in flash was set to Commander mode, remote Speedlights sometimes did not fire. This issue has been resolved.
In some rare cases, the memory card access lamp remained lit for longer than usual, and some time was required before any operations could be performed. This issue has been resolved.

Post edited by cowleystjames on

Comments

• ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    I hope this updates does fix the focus trapping issue.
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • MightyYMightyY Posts: 30Member
    Looks like it does!
  • EiTaroEiTaro Posts: 35Member
    I'm not sure that I prefer the focus trapping over the current functionality.
    D800 | 16-35mm f4 | 50mm f1.4 | 70-200mm f2.8 | 150-600 Sport | SB910 | RRS
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Few reports are saying there are issues firing up the shutter. Of those reports the issue was like the issue that they "fixed"
    In some rare cases, the memory card access lamp remained lit for longer than usual, and some time was required before any operations could be performed. This issue has been resolved.

Read more on NikonRumors.com: http://nikonrumors.com/2014/05/13/major-firmware-update-for-the-nikon-d800d800e-released.aspx/#ixzz31c0ZoSA5
    Those people were using transcend memory cards and CF cards.
    I have all sandisk but I think I'll wait for more reports to come in.
    Does this mean that the video record button can now be customized to another function? That's the way I read the release notes.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited May 2014
    Downloaded and installed, all is well. Oh and my third party battery and lenses still work. So much for all the conspiracy theories that Nikon purposely goes out to kill your third party stuff. :D

Trap focus does work in AF-S, but still doesn't work in AF-C. A step in the right direction at least.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • EiTaroEiTaro Posts: 35Member
    Great news PB_PM! Thanks.
    D800 | 16-35mm f4 | 50mm f1.4 | 70-200mm f2.8 | 150-600 Sport | SB910 | RRS
    well another user reported his lexar cards stopped working. Maybe nikon doesn't break them on purpose but there seems to be issues.

I'll proceed with mine later on today mostly for the Trap focus and the random mem card bug sending the camera unusable for several seconds.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    edited May 2014
    I can confirm that the upgrade is trouble free.

The mysterious "focus trapping' works in AF-S mode with the focus set by the rear button only. It works for me only in viewfinder mode, not live-view mode. This is documented in the firmware update sheet, although the words "focus trapping" are never used.

Set a2 (AF-S priority) to "Focus" and set a4 (AF Activation) to "AF-ON only"

Focus using AF-ON, press the shutter, and wait for something to come into the focus point. CLICK.

The trap also works with the MC-36 remote, so there is no need to sit there holding the shutter button, just lock the remote into place and there it is.

I'm going to try messing around with a macro lens on a moving boat deck with this feature. It seems to need a motion stopping shutter speed or a strobe to be of real value. Fun trick, though.
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    I upgraded. Check your fine tune.
    Maybe it doesnt get affected but I needed to re-do the 70-200 2.8 v2 and it improved towards 0 by 5.
    The only reason I re-did it is because I had bad light and the target was not completely centered. It was the first lens i did using lens align over the weekend before the kids where awake then I had to leave that alone.

So far trap focus works. I did test in the poor lit room and it triggered where I had it set to but it also triggered before my subjected arrived at the location specified.

Ill retest in day light again.
  • Carerra911Carerra911 Posts: 17Member
    edited May 2014
    Guys just a heads up, I am using single point on my D800E, and I have the grid display up in the view finder, not in live view, when I take a shot, the single shot square lights up red, so does the grid lines, but when I release the trigger the grid flashes red again, is that normal, I cant remember what it was like before I upgraded the firmware, its not a huge problem if a problem at all, just wanted to know ,

Thanks

Louis
    Post edited by Carerra911 on
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    edited May 2014
    @Carerra911, Have not updated yet and just tried it. I guess it's normal.
    Post edited by Parke1953 on
    Lemme see if I understand this.

Using Custom setting f13 you can assign the movie record button to ISO but it only works in liveview? Am I reading that correctly?
    @ThomasHorton you do not need to be in live view for it to work.
    Sweet can't wait to DL this update
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited May 2014
    Yes and do all the people with third party batteries and grips and sigma lenses still find they work ok ??
    @"" sorry .
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    Yes, my Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG (non-OS aka 5-6 years old) works just fine thanks. My third party, Upstart EN-EL15 works fine. Get lost troll.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited May 2014
    Sorry my friend nikon are not bothered about old lenses ..my experience has been bad with firmware updates as like many others what worked before does not work now...Troll dont be so insulting .look at the high grade posts I have made..sometimes you wonder why you bother to try to help people ..
    Personally if I owned Nikon I would just code everything Nikon and not allow anything else to work but thats business....Its the will it wont it I dont like..
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    edited May 2014
    I have a third party batteries and a Sigma 35 f/1.4. No problems with either. I have not noticed any shooting problems with the new firmware. YMMV.
    SanDisk 32 GB UDMA6 CF and SanDisk 32 GB Ultra SD both work.
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • stvestve Posts: 1Member
    My Transcend Compact Flash 400x 64GB no longer works with the camera.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    @stve, any details to that as in what happens, or if there are any error messages? Did you try reformatting the card in the camera?
    There seems to be a bad batch from manafacturer.
    I dont have a link but you may check transcend's site or contact them
  • BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member
    Are Nikon firmware updates cumulative? Does the latest update include the modifications incorporated in all previous updates, and will the next update include, as a matter of course, the changes that are incorporated in this newest update? If they are not cumulative, is there likely to be a problem with conflicting firmware versions if one decides to skip an update and then subsequently installs the next-following update from Nikon? In the case of the latest firmware update, is it necessary to have first installed all of the earlier updates?
    Each update has all the previous updates fixes, no need to download each update to get those features.