Best time to buy?

ma5ter5ma5ter5 Posts: 2Member
edited May 2014 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to Nikon, switching after 6 years with Canon. I was familiar with Canon's annual rebate/promotion cycles (June for Dad/Grad, Holiday time, etc.). I'm looking to start with a D610 and 16-35. Are there particular times of year when Nikon does sales/rebates/promos? I will be looking to purchase before leaving on a 3 week backpacking trip in the beginning of August. But, I'll be getting more glass in the future and am always curious as to when the best deals occur?

Thank you!

-Steve
Tagged:

Comments

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    About a month ago there was a bunch of promotions. I think if you wait a little while longer, say Memorial Day in the US, they'll have promotions again.

Plus graduation is coming soon.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • michael66michael66 Posts: 231Member
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new to Nikon, switching after 6 years with Canon. I was familiar with Canon's annual rebate/promotion cycles (June for Dad/Grad, Holiday time, etc.). I'm looking to start with a D610 and 16-35. Are there particular times of year when Nikon does sales/rebates/promos? I will be looking to purchase before leaving on a 3 week backpacking trip in the beginning of August. But, I'll be getting more glass in the future and am always curious as to when the best deals occur?

Thank you!

-Steve
    Welcome! At least you didn't ask what makes a professional a professional...

I do have to ask, why the switch? Not that there is anything wrong with switching, I'm just curious.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Nikon does not have nearly the same amount of sales nor discounting that Canon does. It's unfortunate, but if Canon is like Samsung then Nikon is like Apple. Most of the time there are rarely discounts on anything. Once a year before their year end fiscal results are due, they MIGHT discount some stuff to make their corporate numbers look better. Most of the year, if there are discounts, they are really for stuff you don't want like old 3000 series cameras and consumer zooms.

You sound like a landscape shooter. Check out the refurb D800 on the main page for $2100. I would buy that and your wide lens if you are seriously thinking about switching.
  • ma5ter5ma5ter5 Posts: 2Member

I do have to ask, why the switch? Not that there is anything wrong with switching, I'm just curious.
    I was shooting a Canon 40D, with a 24-70 mk I. I do a lot of landscape shots, and knew that I needed to go full frame. Knowing it was a big investment, and that I wasn't far into Canon (all my gear was bought used, so I was able to recoup most of my initial investment when I sold it...yes, it is already gone), I took an honest look at all dimensions of the product range. I knew I wanted the following:

- Lens: Great IQ
    - Body: Again, great IQ, somewhat lightweight, dual card slots, 6+ FPS (I do cover some action sports)
    - The little things (interface between body and speedlite (line of sight vs. radio), built in intervalometer, build in level).

Canon gave me the impression that they lag behind (really, the 600XT is the first flash with radio trigger?), and couldn't include the little things, leaving you having to pay more to get those functions.

So I looked at Nikon and Sony a7s. It was very close between the two, and while I'm 99% sure I'm doing Nikon, I still haven't bought yet. My leaning towards Nikon over Sony is due to:

- Better lens selection
    - Dual card slots
    - Battery Life

Sony was tempting though for being lighter weight and ability to charge batteries in the field.

You sound like a landscape shooter. Check out the refurb D800 on the main page for $2100. I would buy that and your wide lens if you are seriously thinking about switching.
    You are certainly correct about landscape. I do some action sports thought, which is why I initially was leaning toward the 610 for FPS. But at that price, the refurb 800 is making me reconsider. Since I haven't looked much at DX bodies, perhaps you can recommend something with high FPS and solid AF for the sports?

Thanks all for your insight. I am excited to be getting into Nikon. I've been practicing a bit with my girlfriend's D90 to orient myself prior to my trip.

-Steve
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member

You are certainly correct about landscape. I do some action sports thought, which is why I initially was leaning toward the 610 for FPS. But at that price, the refurb 800 is making me reconsider. Since I haven't looked much at DX bodies, perhaps you can recommend something with high FPS and solid AF for the sports?
    Currently a D7100 is the best DX body. Everyone is waiting for the 9300 this fall, and if you can wait and pay $$$ then that will surely be better. The D610 autofocus is inferior to either the 800 or the 7100 if you are trying to shoot action.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited May 2014
    manhattanboy

+100

For landscapes the D800 and the 16-35mm f4 G AF-S ED VR is impossible to beat, unless you go to medium format

with rumors of a D800S, D800's are something of a bargain

4 fps is fine for most things, If you really need speed then get a D3s

( wait for the D800s? only if you have a lot of time and cash to spare)

re Sony is there a Sony 16 -35 ?

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    Welcome! I am also a recent convert from Canon to Nikon. I was a Canon shooter since 1981. I also looked long and hard at the Sony camera systems. They look pretty good. All in all, I am happy with my switch to Nikon.

But you are in an enviable position. You have the choice to really objectively look at different systems as you (like I was) able to start over. Take your time on this decision. Really find out which camera system provides *you* with what *you* need. Every photographer is different. That is one thing we all have in common. :)

A camera system that works for others, may not work for you. Try to forget about any type of branding.

If you are considering staying with a crop sensor, be sure to check out the Pentax K3.

Good luck with it.
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S