Currently those are candidates:
-booq Python slimpack
-Luminosity Medium DSLR + iPad® Backpack
-Lowerpro Transit 350AW

looking for any advice.

Cheers.

Comments

• jjb930jjb930 Posts: 80Member
    Are you planning to buy from within a store or through a major retailer (i.e., B & H)? From personal experience, it is much better to go to a local store and try out a few backpacks to see if you like the feel (because everyone has a different preference). The booq looks like the best from that list (but also the most expensive).

I went with a Kata bag through B&H and I am pretty happy with it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892804-REG/Kata_kt_dl_3n1_22_3_In_1_Sling.html
    Nikon D800 | Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8G | Nikon 85mm f/1.8G | Nikon 105mm f/2.8 VR Macro | Tamron 150-600mm f/ 5-6.3 | Nikon SB700 | Kenko Auto Extension Tube Set | Cactus V6 Transceiver Set | SDMV Speedbox 60 Diffuser | FotoPro T83-C CF Tripod | FotoPro NGC-75 CF Monopod
  • schlangetierschlangetier Posts: 4Member
    Are you planning to buy from within a store or through a major retailer (i.e., B & H)?
    From personal experience, it is much better to go to a local store and try out a few backpacks to see if you like the feel (because everyone has a different preference).
    Probably from retailer.
    I cannot agree with you more that trying out would be the best thing todo ,but I couldn't find any in local stores :(

I'm looking at booq too.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    I have the Lowepro Flip side 400AW this will carry everything you have listed, plus a water bottle and a jacket
    it is very comfortable on a long hike and you can get at all your gear very quickly, with out taking it off

I also have the Flipside 300 which is smaller and lighter but has no tripod strap
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The flipside 300 does have a spot for a tripod, I have one and have used it many times.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Hi !
    I'm searching for a small backpack (short trips) for:
    -D800
    -Nikon 35mm
    -Nikon 70-200mm
    -set of filters with holder
    -small tripod

Currently those are candidates:
    -booq Python slimpack
    -Luminosity Medium DSLR + iPad® Backpack
    -Lowerpro Transit 350AW

looking for any advice.

Cheers.
    FYI, when I bought the ThinkTank roller bag I spent over 30 minutes in the store looking at all their roller bags, must have been 10 to pick from. That made a real difference in my mind. Plus the saleslady was kind enough to give me lens to stick into the bags when I had it down to 2 bags.

The LowePro Transit is an excellent bag. Also take a look at the new Think Tank small bags.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • roombarobotroombarobot Posts: 201Member

I wanted a small backpack for my D800E, I got the Lowepro Flipside Sport 10AW
    http://www.lowepro.com/flipside-sport#prettyPhoto

I think it would carry all that gear. I wanted a small, light bag for backpacking and that worked well.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited May 2014
    The flipside 300 does have a spot for a tripod, I have one and have used it many times.
    Apologies. PB PM is right; the 300 does have straps for a tripod
    but I have found these awkward and cumbersome
    I think this highlights, the need to try any bag and make sure it is will hold your gear and is comfortable with your way of working

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Apologies. PB PM is right; the 300 does have straps for a tripod
    but I have found these awkward and cumbersome
    I think this highlights, the need to try any bag and make sure it is will hold your gear and is comfortable with your way of working
    Yes, it is rather poorly designed system on the 300. It's more of a monopod holder than a tripod holder.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • GarethGareth Posts: 159Member
    I have a Dakine Mission for my D700 (gasp). It's very comfortable and the padded camera section can be removed, added to it's usefulness. Also, it doesn't look like a camera bag, which is good.

It holds all that you list, plus a bit more, and you can still fit lunch (this was one of my main reasons for choosing it).

http://www.dakine.com/w/backpacks/photo-backpacks
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    I recently purchased a Gura Gear backpack. While I purchased the "full meal deal" capable of carrying quite an array of gear, they have a variety of sizes including those that would appear to meet your needs. The quality is really good, the ability to accessorize is considerable, and the design provides both comfort and flexibility. I avoided the backpack approach for a long time, preferring to use shoulder bags. Now, I can carry the same or more gear with a lot more comfort.

Good luck with your decision. As others have said, this type of purchase is highly individualized so personal preference is a key driver.
    Occasionally a decent image ...
  • Lc019Lc019 Posts: 6Member
    edited May 2014
    you may want to check out www.mindshiftgear.com Its made thinktank photo. I haven't used it so i do not know how good it is. but I have been eyeing it for a while.
    Post edited by Lc019 on
  • schlangetierschlangetier Posts: 4Member
    Guys !
    Thank you very much for all your comments.

I've bought booq Slim Pack. It was delivered few mins ago, so I have not tried walking around with much, but it holds all equipment that I need.

With my benro tripod:

D800+ 35MM, 70-200mm, set of Grad filters, Lee filter holder :

D800 with GPS tracker :