D700 Replacement - What and when?

PhotophunPhotophun Posts: 43Member
edited April 2013 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
The race with Cannon for new products and our hard earned money should prompt Nikon to keep up or kick but, but when and with what is the question?

PS: I loved the D400 When and What thread and feel we need its sister thread in the full frame department.

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Okay, I'll bite. Wiki thinks that the D800 is the replacement:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nikon_DSLR_cameras
    Other than 1fps, the D800 seems to be an upgrade across the board. What are you looking for?
  • PhotophunPhotophun Posts: 43Member
    D800 has to much resolution and the file sizes are far to big for my taste. It would be nice to have more focus points than the D600.

Basically I want the D7100 with a D600 sensor, a better burst mode buffer and feel Nikon is leaving this gap on purpose to see what Cannon does before they respond. Keep in mind I am new to photography. The pros and cons when looking at Nikons current line up VS how much money I would have to spend and options between different models is frustrating.
  • ssj92ssj92 Posts: 23Member
    Only thing I can think of is 8fps on the D700 with grip vs 6fps on a D800 with a grip.
    D800, D50, M18XR2, i7 870, 16GB, TITAN
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    This has been hashed out on the old thread....and one has a choice between a D800, D800E, and a D600. highly unlikely Nikon is going to bring out a new full frame camera anytime soon.

My guess is the D400 will perform much better than the D700 has....but only a guess. As sensor technology improves, the trend is toward a smaller sensor. Just look at the performance of the D800 vs. a 40MP Hasselblad ...nearly equal, yet a much smaller sensor on the D800.
    Msmoto, mod
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    Happened to be in my local Nikon dealer today ( 80 - 400 arrives Saturday ) They reckon the D800 is a far better seller than the D700 ever was .
  • FrederickoFredericko Posts: 22Member
    @photophun

You said it yourself, your new to photography so just buy the camera you need to hone your skills and stop worrying about things that you shouldnt worry about so that by the time nikon releases the "ultimate camera" you desire then you are already skilled in taking pictures...
    Looks like the D800S should tick most boxes (6fps with the MB-D12)
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    ... to see what Cannon does before they respond ...
    Canon has the 5D which is exactly a d700 kind of camera, and Nikon simply doesn't respond directly to that.
    Nikon made the D800, which is superior in many ways and inferior in some.
    The next 5D will probably just be one step better than the previous iteration.
    There's no "waiting game" from Nikon's point of view in THIS segment.
    It's quite remarkable because in many other segment there's an almost exact 1-to-1 relation between their bodies.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Looks like the D800S should tick most boxes (6fps with the MB-D12)
    Curious that the addition of the MB-12 is rumored to be able to boost the frame rate of the new body but not the existing D800 (at least not what I've read).
    edited May 2014
    I image it is the Expeed 4 imaging processor that allows the 36 mp files @ 6fps to processed fast enough and the MB-12 allows the mirror to function a 6fps
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    So you're saying that the current limitation on fps is a buffer problem and not physical constraint on the ability to move the shutter? Interesting. Hadn't considered that.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Canon 5D a D700 equivalent? No. The 5DIII is simply what the 5DII should have been and neither of them are quick enough for sports - at least that is what the people in my club say about them (so it isn't Nikon/Canon sniping, it is feedback from the owners).
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I've heard people say the same thing both ways. In the hands of someone who knows both systems well, equivalent results would be easily achieved.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited May 2014
    neither of them are quick enough for sports ).
    well my D700 was a hell of lot faster than my Nikon F, which is one of the iconic sports cameras of all time

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    I haven't seen a Canon in the price range of the D800 or Df to compete with them and that's no disgrace to Canon, both companies make incredible cameras. Cameras have reached a peak that photographers need to step up to their level and not the other way around.
    @sevencrossing: I meant neither the 5DII or III are fast enough (fps) for sports.
    Always learning.
    The 6FPS of 5D MKIII isn't fast enough for sports? Maybe if the user has poor technique. I've shot sports with the 5FPS D700 and 6FPS D300 and those cameras handled the situation just fine.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    I image it is the Expeed 4 imaging processor that allows the 36 mp files @ 6fps to processed fast enough and the MB-12 allows the mirror to function a 6fps
    You are exactly right.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I think I like the preliminary specs on a new D800 and this will be an excellent body certainly "replacing" the D700. In fact, I may go this route rather than a crop sensor from Nikon, e.g., D9300.

As to FPS for sports….certainly at 10 FPS one grabs more images than at 6 FPS. But, IMO the ability of the photographer to set up the camera properly (shutter speed, aperture, focus settings), then anticipate the action of the particular event is far more important than the actual FPS. I seem to learn something with every photo shoot I am on. (Read: I make a lot of mistakes)
    Msmoto, mod
    edited May 2014
    @PB_PM - you aren't arguing with me, you're arguing with the owners of them in my club that shoot sports. I am only reporting what they say. Weird really, they are neither very quick or very high density - would have thought they should be one or the other these days.

@Msmoto: Yes, of course if you don't really know and understand the sport you are photographing, no camera can 'live pause' and 'rewind' so you get the chance to have another go. :)) But 9-10 fps catches a lot more leather on tarmac than 6 fps!
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    @PB_PM - you aren't arguing with me, you're arguing with the owners of them in my club that shoot sports. I am only reporting what they say. Weird really, they are neither very quick or very high density - would have thought they should be one or the other these days.
    Totally. I could understand them complaining about that for the 5D MKII, which is really slow (3FPS IIRC), but the MKIII is a decently fast camera.
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    The original 5D is 3 fps, the mk2 is 4 fps (3.9 technically) while the mk3 is a speedy 6 fps.

I've only used the mk2; I prefer my old D700 for stills but of course the mk2 shoots video so it's more versatile.

I just sold my D800E on eBay a couple of weeks ago and will pre-order the D800S whenever it comes out.

!00 years ago today. A guy called Oskar Barnack designed an Iconic camera
    I wonder what he what make of todays crave for fps