D600 SD card storage error message new cards and re formatted cards

thathurtthathurt Posts: 10Member
edited May 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Hi sorry for a boring post.
I use a D600 for the last year and a half. It says its got the latest firmware of C 1.01 (from what i have read on the Nikon site thats the latest firmware).
I usually carry 2 SD cards of various brands in the camera incase one runs out mid shoot.

Two months ago I noticed the D600 saying the SD cards were full before they should have been by saying I only have between 1 and 65 shots left when I know the blank cards should hold around 260 images based on my settings (I shoot RAW/NEF and one JPEG in basic. No matter what brand of new SD card I put in or how I format old cards the camera is stuck saying I can only take x number of images until it has counted down to 1 and I can't use the camera.

I have tried reformatting the cards in the camera hundreds of times in the camera and on my Mac book (OSX 10.9.2) and on a windows book (7 Starter) in both FAT and NTFS to no avail.

I have bought various new SD cards and when the camera is stuck in this mode it reads all new SD cards as only having the X amount of space left on them regardless of how new or unused or re formatted the card is.

I was once able to clear the error message on the D60 once but i didn't know how i did it.

I sent the D600 to Nikon but they said they were unable to recreate the problem in their workshop and Im reluctant to send it back to them if they can't help and they had the camera for over a months. when I got the camera back it let me take photos for a few days with the correct amount of storage space left on the card but now the errors back and I'm down to "30 images"

Any ideas? Someone said it might be the SD cards but the old ones worked fine until 2 months ago and it shouldn't affect brand new SD cards.

I use cards- Kingston SDHC, Sandisc SDHC and Transcend SDHC 16G size

thanks in advance
Rach.

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    When you put the cards in the computer, how much free space does it think are on each card? How are you formatting the cards in the camera?
  • thathurtthathurt Posts: 10Member
    on the mac it says its got the full 16g space left or 15.9 i.e. the full amount if its a blank card. I format them in the camera by selecting format card on the D600 in the set up menu then select the slot number. Im not aware of another way on the D600.
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    You can format with the trash can button and the metering button and choose the slot with the main command dial. Page 31 in your manual.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited May 2014
    Do you have the optional battery grips? If so, who makes it? Are you using any third party battery? What Class are the memory cards...6 or 10? Just trying to isolate the body and gear.

A few things to try. 1) try using only one of the memory slot at a time, might help isolate which slot is causing the problem. 2) Use a class 10 card 3) shoot only in RAW or jpeg to see if the issue is the processor. 4) use the same memory brand, should you use both memory slots. 5) get new memory cards....some great deals going on right now..check out our home page.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Ever try a two button reset?
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    @Golf might be onto something....

@thathurt

It sounds like you have two SD cards inserted but only successfully formatting one of them, so the second card is getting full.

Try testing with one card at a time to eliminate this possibility. I don't think the slot used will matter.
    thanks but i have done the formatting with only
    one card in it at a time it makes no difference
    thanks Golf
    Do you have the optional battery grips? If so, who makes it? Are you using any third party battery? What Class are the memory cards...6 or 10? Just trying to isolate the body and gear.

A few things to try. 1) try using only one of the memory slot at a time, might help isolate which slot is causing the problem. 2) Use a class 10 card 3) shoot only in RAW or jpeg to see if the issue is the processor. 4) use the same memory brand, should you use both memory slots. 5) get new memory cards....some great deals going on right now..check out our home page.
    I have tried many many brand new SD cards so that doesn't help clear the error messages/incorrect storage prob, it occurs with both class 10 6 and 4 cards. I don't use a battery grip. its the Nikon battery so it shouldn't be that. Shooting in only raw or jpeg didn't make a difference so it might not be the processor.

thanks for your ideas tho :)
    Ever try a two button reset?
    whats a two button reset?
    You can format with the trash can button and the metering button and choose the slot with the main command dial. Page 31 in your manual.
    ah I see, it didn't make any difference tho.
    ah i did the two button reset but no change.
    gah just managed to format 2 SD cards one by using the quick function onhttps://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
    and one by un selecting the quick format option on windows 7 starter how strange.

It won't stop the camera playing up again but at least I can use it for a few days hopefully.

Now to retrieve my files...........
  • GarethGareth Posts: 159Member
    This sounds like a camera issue to me.

Are you able to go in to Nikon and show them physically? I know this is sometimes necessary to get them to see the issue.
    No there are only 2 proper Nikon sites in England neither are near me, I can't afford to send it to my local camera shop fees to look at and I doubt they could sort it if the proper Nikon workshop peeps couldn't.
  • lasherlasher Posts: 14Member
    are you using full size memory cards or the the micros with the adaptor? have you blown out the card slots in the camera with some low pressure air? if you're having problems formatting the cards on a computer i would suspect the cards, you said you formatted NTFS and FAT, going back to my NT days i recall NTFS requires a portion of the disc (a card is a disc in this instance) to create it's partition and format, if the disc were formatted NTFS without the reserved space strange problems would pop up. can you try your cards in another camera? or perhaps copy files to them from your computer and check to see if they are there?

i use sandisk 64gb cards, 80MBPS transfer, and could only format them FAT on a Win 7 computer, they would not format NTFS
  • lasherlasher Posts: 14Member
    edited May 2014
    also, look at the cards in Disk Manager on the Win 7 machine, see if any partitions have been set up, if so delete those and create full sized partions and then format, treat the memory card as a hard disk, attempting to trouble shoot when you have nothing known good is difficult
    Post edited by lasher on