Shutter speeds

tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
edited May 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Thought this was a pretty good article explaining things in simple terms.

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2014/04/25/minimum-shutter-speed-handheld-camera/
D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)

Comments

• ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    Being an old shakey guy, I take the old rule of 1/f and double it at a minimum. With the higher res systems, sometimes 3x works. One of the many reasons why I shoot a lot off of a tripod. :)
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    IMHO the biggest cause of unsharp photos is camera shake
    I would recommend using the HH speed with VR
    eg with a D800 and VR @ 50mm I would recommend 1/125
    Yes I can get OK results at 1/30 but very few, if any, will be pin sharp
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Being an old shakey guy, I take the old rule of 1/f and double it at a minimum. With the higher res systems, sometimes 3x works. One of the many reasons why I shoot a lot off of a tripod. :)
    I'd like to think of myself as neither old nor shakey, but without VR I too find myself using 3x on a high res DX sensor. Hopefully the shutter speed you have to use to shoot Nikon gear does not enter the Dictionary under the term "old". :O
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    I'm always 1.5x or 2x the focal length on FX which is 2-3x on DX. I would rather deal with some noise or bringing the EV back up than have a blurry photo. The D800 36mp sensor is very unforgiving but equally rewarding on the other side when you get it right.

I agree with @sevencrossing - the largest cause of un-sharp photos is camera shake. The second is high ISO.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited May 2014
    Just my thoughts today…. the factors affecting shutter speed involve many issues and cannot IMO be simply put into a table except as a very basic starting place. The focal length, proper holding of the camera, use of other than a tripod as external stabilizing objects, expectation of the final image size, subject movement, VR, and of course just how much some of us old folks shake…. oh, also for some, what we did the night before may be a factor, or if you have just stopped your Xanax suddenly…LOL

And, in low light the pay-off of shutter speed vs aperture vs.ISO will be important. The bottom line is that we can determine what we as individuals are comfortable with in terms of shutter speed only after a heck of a lot of experience.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    +1 @Msmoto, the 1/focal is a "rule of thumb" not the eleventh commandment. I use it as a starting point in a much bigger equation that factors into what kind of photo I'm ultimately trying to achieve.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited May 2014
    I have my auto-ISO set for 1/160th minimum shutter speed. I'd rather have a sharp 1600 ISO 55mm shot of a B&G than a shaky 400 ISO one.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    I have my auto-ISO set for 1/160th minimum shutter speed. I'd rather have a sharp 1600 ISO 55mm shot of a B&G than a shaky 400 ISO one.
    And that's really the bottom line. What are people more forgiving about? Noise or blurry details. I think it is noise. I have never used auto-ISO but am starting to think this might be something worth looking into.
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Of course if you are steady or have any type of support you can always muster slower shu
    And that's really the bottom line. What are people more forgiving about? Noise or blurry details. I think it is noise. I have never used auto-ISO but am starting to think this might be something worth looking into.
    I say do it :-) I am a pro shoot the lowest ISO possible but a blurry picture is a ruined one. I have changed my approach recently with good results. A little noise which probably won't even be noticeable except at larger magnification. So it is a compromise of course. I put mine as high as I thought was acceptable and of course varying on camera model...ISO 800 for my d5000.

As for the shutter speeds I didn't mean for it to be the rule...just some guidance and more rule of thumb and simple explanation for newbies. It also explains vr and why you get more blur at longer mm. I use 1/mm but it depends. I will push it lower at small mms.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited May 2014
    Another vote for AUTO ISO
    I set the shutter speed to AUTO plus 2 clicks faster
    ( this is on a D800 and may not be available on all Nikons )
    Do remember, high ISO does only affect noise, it also reduces dynamic range
    for landscapes I am more likely to turn auto ISO off
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Encountered this problem last weekend. Big marathon in town, where I usually shoot a bit while attending a neighborhood party. This year a ton of my shots came out pretty crappy and I couldn't figure out why (D800 w/ 70-200). My shutter speed was fine, my aperture was stopped down enough to avoid DOF issues, etc.

It wasn't until later that I remembered that I'd just bought a MB-12 and was experimenting with one-hand vertical shooting. I realized that I'd been shooting with the camera in my right hand and bloody mary's (3 over the course of the race) in my left.

Technique, technique, technique.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Just to throw a wrench in the spokes of that wheel...

The biggest cause of unsharp photos is actually missed focus, not camera shake. That's my experience anyway.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Another vote for AUTO ISO
    I set the shutter speed to AUTO plus 2 clicks faster
    ( this is on a D800 and may not be available on all Nikons )
    Do remember, high ISO does only affect noise, it also reduces dynamic range
    for landscapes I am more likely to turn auto ISO off
    Love the Auto ISO since I started using it 2 weeks ago. I'll accept a little bit of noise but it's got to be sharp. I was shooting at a reunion and those I tossed were missed focus and camera shake. I need to tweak my minimum setting.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |