What DVD slideshow software do NR members use?

spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
edited May 2014 in General Discussions
What software do members use and recommend for creating DVD based slideshows to be viewed on TV's? Are there any real leaders out there that are feature full, easy to use and cheap?

How much do they cost?

Thanks!
Always learning.
Tagged:

Comments

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    I think there is one built into Lighroom
  • dcanningdcanning Posts: 9Member
    One of the best in the PC arena is Photodex Proshow Gold or Proshow Producer. Trial downloads are available on their site. www.photodex.com.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @sevencrossing: The problem I have with Lightroom is that it only outputs .MP4 or .pdf which don't seem to run as I expect on my Sony Blu-Ray player and so I suspect other players too. Runs fine on a PC, but that 's not what I want.

@dcanning: thanks for that info.
    Always learning.
  • studio460studio460 Posts: 205Member
    For OS X users I would recommend FotoMagico4 which currently sells for $99. I own it and really like its interface:

http://boinx.com/fotomagico/
    Looks great studio460 thanks - shame it is mac only.
    Always learning.
    edited May 2014
    How old is your Blu-ray player ?
    according to the link below

Early Blu-ray players were limited to Blu-ray only

Current Blu-ray players should play standard Blu-ray Discs, DVDs, and CDs. DVD and support for MP3 files, JPEG, DivX, WMA, AVI (and other formats)

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9558
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
    Mine is 30 months old now. only sound comes out when the .MP4 format is played in it, the Blu-Ray logo stays on the screen.

I'm pretty disappointed that there are not more formats to choose from when exporting the slideshow from Lightroom though, so that's why I am looking for other programs.
    Always learning.
    @ S&P which version of LR are you using ?
    @sevencrossing: LR5. I'm also starting to get other problems now (due to the number of slides possibly). I am really starting to think this slideshow module is a gimmick.
    Always learning.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    studio460 I have purchased FotoMagico 4 from your mention , so far ok, few teething problems however very good response from their help team, That alone is impressive. Not got the transions of Photodex but they are over the top. Will perceiver but sure this a good software for Mac users.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    edited May 2014
    I've said this before, but I like doing slideshows in Vegas Movie Studio (would use Vegas if I had the cash to spend on it). This software has its distant roots in a digital audio workstation and I love its timeline interface and the way everything can be keyframed. My version is HD platinum 11 and cost me $45 when I bought it (just after 12 came out, which is the key). I bought a copy for my work computer about 3 months later on fire sale for $20 or so. There's a free 30-day trial for it, so try it and see if you like it.

It is a very very capable video editor with few output format limitations that I've run into and no input format limitations that I've seen (I don't shoot anything too serious, though!).

I just did an end of year slideshow for my son's third grade class with it today. Four songs in the soundtrack, 11 minutes total, ~450 images and it took me 4 hours start to finish including minor tweaks to about 1/4 of the images in Lightroom.

If you do go this route, there are ways to seriously speed your workflow:
    1. Know your output format before you start and set your project up for it.
    2. In the "Editing" tab of the Options>Preferences menu, make sure you check "Automatically crop still images added to the timeline." This saves you about 10 seconds per image because you won't have to crop each one individually by opening the event pan/crop dialogue, right clicking, and choosing "Match output aspect ratio" (I can't tell you how much happier I've been since I found this checkbox and can't imagine why it's not checked by default). You can always go back and manually override this for any photos you don't want cropped, but 98% of the time you will.
    3. If you're looking to have slides transition on music beats, spend time getting the first few aligned just right, then use an empty video track above your main one as a cutting board for new images. When you drag a new image into your project, have it snap the left hand side to the left hand side of one of your "perfect" images on the timeline, then drag the right hand side to the right edge of the perfect image. Finally, drag the new image off the cutting board and have it overlap your most recent image with the same amount as the previous ones. I usually only have to make small adjustments of a frame or two every few measures if I'm careful like this.
    4. If you're not looking to have slides transition on music beats, there are much easier ways to do a slideshow (Lightroom, for example).

Here's something I did just messing around with some photos from my sister's wedding a few years ago. Watching it now, I think I overdid the panning. Be kind.
    Post edited by jonnyapple on
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Excellent. Loved the video @Johnnyapple
    Panning was fine for me.
    Really liked it.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Excellent work I am sure the couple were well pleased.
    Jonnyapple, After only 24 hours of using FoyoMagico4 I am finding this product you recommened so easy after using other products. Thanks a lot

• jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    Lovely work, @paulr. That was studio460 that recommended fotomagico, though, so I can't take credit there.
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.
  • Dredden85Dredden85 Posts: 365Member
    @jonnyapple, @paulr, Great work!
    I think comes down to ease of use and what your wanting the end product to be. I made a slide show while in Kuwait & Iraq on a hardened Panasonic PC using Microsoft Movie maker. I know this a basic and yet clunky software and it took a ton of fine tuning. What I am getting at is that sometimes the most basic/simplest ware is the one you need :) Good luck.
    D7000, 18-200VRII | 50 1.8G | SB-900
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited May 2014
    On Mac Computers I have not found one that works better than Aperture 3 latest version. Still we use Final Cut Pro and Final Cut 10 as well. One of the reasons I use Apple computers is slide show and sound control that exceeds any PC rig I have seen. In the distant past I did slideshows on Kodak Carousel projectors with Clearlight Micro-Diamond Dissolve Control and Kodachrome or Fujichrome slides. I would like to see more slide/sound shows on PC to see the best they have now.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
    edited May 2014
    DaveyJ On Pcs the two main contenders are Pictures to EXE More of the classic mode and Photodex Gold/Producer, if you like fancy transitions, both are PCs only.
    Post edited by paulr on
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    Photodex Proshow Gold or Proshow Producer here on the PC for slide shows. Very easy, and pretty fast.
  • fishpixfishpix Posts: 7Member
    Another vote for Proshow (Photodex). I output a full HD file to a USB memory stick. Then play it on the HDTV through a Netgear media player
    edited June 2014
    Aperture 3 for slideshows is GETTING FAR WORSE WITH APPLE "IMPROVEMENTS". Apparently Apple has little intention of having a slideshow medium that includes occasional use of video. I have been doing slide/soundshows professionally since the 1960s. I am retired now but for awhile Apple iPhoto was pretty good for slideshows on Apple Computers, then it developed you had to use Aperture, recently though Apple has almost ruined their slide/sound program with changes. I have two older Apple Mac Book Pros that I did not get the APerture "UPGRADES"! Good thing as the upgrades have almost destroyed anything but the simplest slideshows. What in the Hell in Apple thinking about. Their answer, Use Final Cut 10 or the like. Which means you have a tool bar showing at the bottom of your show. Hopefully SOMEONE on NR has used Apple for sophisticated slide/sound shows in a recent version????
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
    edited June 2014
    If you are a Mac user You can send your images to Photodex by internet and they will do the show for you FOC.
    Why Photodex have not done a Mac version is unclear I been asking for it for 10 years but got no where, perhaps Photodex think Mac users are in the minority and are not worth the bother. strange marketing I must say.
    Post edited by paulr on
    For years many pro photographers have used Apple. Sending images to Photodex via Internet is NOT an option I would ever use. Apple involvement and direction is a concern to me. Nikon has been way better to me as a customer than Apple. Still I worked in the computer industry in the 1960s full time with IBM doing assembly work. Apple has been good in the past but doesn't seem to get it in any way that video is a component of slideshows that many younger users insist on using. Video tends to derail Aperture 3. I am not even sure what Photodex does and if it would even technically handle what I use all of the time now. Amazing such an important element of USING images is being avoided by many. I do have some "competitors". They are using large teams to assemble a show I would do alone, even my grandson is very good at this. Yet he uses Final Cut and never iPhoto or Aperture 3, and he has checked out Photodex and decided Final Cut was what he needed. Apple users are in the minority. Yet it is a minority that tends to BUY photo presentation gear.