D800 HDMI output strange behaviour

ge0kasge0kas Posts: 14Member
edited October 2013 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
I am a D800 owner and recently I purchased the SmallHD DP6 1280x800 hiRes monitor.
I 've read that when I record to card, HDMI outputs limits at 720p.
Well, this is my case:
Video on the monitor looks great when in live view mode, but when I press record the video cuts out as the camera is now sending a smaller video format and the monitor takes a few seconds to adjust to the new stream.

I tried both 720p and AUTO in setup/HDMI/output resolution.

When I set AUTO then:
I am in the menus: DP6 receives 1080i signal
I am in Lv: DP6 receives 1080i signal
I start recording on card: DP6 turns to blue and then receives 720p signal

When I set 720p then:
I am in the menus: DP6 receives 720p signal
I am in Lv: DP6 receives 1080i signal (!)
I start recording on card: DP6 turns to blue and then receives 720p signal

My other settings:
D800 fw: A:1.01 B:1.02
DP6 fw: 2.1.1
D800 movie settings: 1920x1080/25fps/hQ
D800 setup/HDMI/advanced: Output Range=Limited, output display size=100%, Lv OSD display=OFF

Comments

• ge0kasge0kas Posts: 14Member
    edited October 2013
    I just connected D800 to my samsung FullHD 40'' TV
    I set 720p in D800setup/HDMI/output resolution.

Same behaviour, when in Lv it displays 1080i, when I press record, signal stops for 1 sec and then turns into 720p

Post edited by ge0kas on
    Just tested my D4 AND my D3200
    both same behaviour, when I press record, image disappears and comes again in 720p
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    Did you take the memory card out?
    Like I mentioned, the problem occurs when I hit record.
    I can't record without card
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    Oh, I thought you were also recording to an external device (like the Atomos Ninja).

When recording to the internal card, the HDMI output is max 720p.
    anybody could reproduce this problem onto their HDTV
    Anyone ?
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Ofcourse I checked that before posting, but that forum is read-only.
    Could anyone try at home and see if this happens to you too ?
    I shall make another statement.

No matter what I choose in HDMI settings (I tested many combinations) I cannot get the monitor to show video continuously from Lv to Recording.
    I tested 3 cameras, 3 cables and 2 HDTVs !
    But I insist that this happens to *every* monitor, even HDTV,
    could you possibly test it with your HDTV ?
    anybody could test at home ?
    D800-->HDMI-->TV when recording starts, TV goes off for 2 secs
    The only thing I can find is on pages 257, 258 of the manual. And, I think the behavior may be as designed...
    Msmoto, mod
    Not exactly.
    Like I mentioned, whatever setting I set for HDMI output resolution
    when I press record, it goes from 1080i to 720p creating the little hiccup to the monitor.

I am sure they wouldn't mention that in the manual
    That's why I asked for your help, to find out if this behavior is constant along all Nikon cameras
    I read all that posts one by one
    wow! Lots of information regarding HDMI output quality
    But, like I said, I 'm not interested in recording through HDMI, I just wanna see the video in a monitor
    so again...
    anybody could test at home ?
    D800-->HDMI-->TV when recording starts, TV goes off for 2 secs
    Is this not your monitor simply changing to the 720p?
    Msmoto, mod
    yeah, what I am trying is NO CHANGE of output resolution when record button pressed.
  • SorimachiSorimachi Posts: 4Member
    Just tested my D4 AND my D3200
    both same behaviour, when I press record, image disappears and comes again in 720p
    Hi ge0kas, I hope you will reply me. I do have same thing happen on my D610. I'm using Lilliput 663 O P. It do change the monitor resolution when hitting the record button. It won't show exactly long mode when hitting it. It turn to blue screen for me and I need to wait for about 5 seconds(while recording) before it shown out the exact LV mode. longstory short. It dissapear image on my Lilliput field monitor for 5 seconds every time I hit the record button. Did you get any answer or solve this problem yet? One more thing, I use my D7000 on my Lilliput, it continuous record without any hiccup or disconnect. That's so weird. Sigh.
    This is a real problem I had with D4 and D800.
    D4S solved it and D800S will solve it as well.
    All other cameras can't send constant 720p to monitor while recording internally in 1080p.
    So the only solution for you is to record 720/25p (both internally and HDMI signal) so it doesn't produce that blue screen.
    Thank you for your answer/solution. I will try it later and let you know. Besides, I don't might understand as you stated at above. "D4s solved it and D800S will solve it as well". Do you mean the coming model for D800S? Sorry, I'm lack of info recently. He he.
    yes, all is needed is a powerful processor. EXPEED4 in D4S is capable enough to produce double 1080p stream (one for card, one for HDMI output)
    I think the same processor will be used in D800S in the coming weeks.
    I'm so sorry for delaying to read and reply your thread because i have lost the account in this forum and due recently had complete one of the video business, but glad that i found back the password. How you taught me for the setup is brilliant but somehow, what is the point recording under 720P instead i would love to use max of my D610 capabilities. Somehow, D610 still lack of few things and so frustrated when i use it. Unable to dial/adjust the aperture when in Video Live Mode. Secondly, the AF Array still using D7000, make the full AF Array look smaller (which mean, can't use max on the edge of the frame instead mostly center frame for photographing). Sorry seems like i'm out of topic here but it's encouraging me to look for better as you mention D800S (I think nowadays it's call D810) .

Back to the main topic, do you ever tested on the D810 yet? Does it turn out to be blue screen for few seconds (5 Seconds for me). What's your review regarding the D810? Thank you and is nice to have this conversation or discussion with you.