Speculation of the next version of Nikon Df

Tradewind35Tradewind35 Posts: 77Member
edited June 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
About time to agitate for a Df2 methinks.
I can make the difficult decisions for Nikon - give it two memory cards and up the build quality a bit to match top dollar price.
Other than that, the D4 sensor seems fine as is. Perhaps someone can suggest a few other little tweaks to the fiddly wee bits inside.
Oh and I would really like to buy it body only.
What more do we need?
Robin
Post edited by Golf007sd on

Comments

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited June 2014
    I think its a too early to spin off the DF2 or DF210 or whatever.
    The only 3 things physically I would change not including the focusing screen is
    1. the PSAM button. I need to double check wich mode im in and with gloves I have to take them off.
    2. the Meter mode I keep accidentaly changin it to spot when I remove it from the bag.
    3. the Diopter, I keep changing it somehow as well but now I know at what setting to have it and I check it before I use the camera especially with a manual focus lens.

IDC too much about a second memory card but the stock option for a batter grip would be welcomed.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    I'd buy it in a second if it had the 24mp sensor of the D600, the autofocus system of the D800 and a max shutter speed of 1/8000; otherwise, if just feels too crippled for my tastes. If they put the 36mp sensor in it, I'd wet myself.

Ditto... I felt they crippled the AF. It needs a 36mb and the smoothest shutter they can build. I don't care if it only does 1fps but the 1st shot must be fast. A true solid build is a must.

framer
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    I'm the next model of this body will have more megapixels.
    As for the !/8000, if there is that much light, and ou own the body today, my recommendation would be to purchase an 3-5stop ND filter for your most used lens in such lighting conditions.
    It's built quality feels really good in my hands, but I would agree that a battery grip is a good addition.
    I would welcome the 51-AF points. The AF speed is fine.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    I'd buy it in a second if it had the 24mp sensor of the D600, the autofocus system of the D800 and a max shutter speed of 1/8000; otherwise, if just feels too crippled for my tastes. If they put the 36mp sensor in it, I'd wet myself.

I know a lot of people think that 16mp is enough, and I don't want to restart that argument. I'm just saying that I have a "travel" photo of Venice that I took with my D800 that I printed at 1.2 meters wide with spectacular detail and is hanging in my living room. I'm not willing to give that up just to have a smaller/lighter/cooler-looking travel camera.
    You took the words out of my mouth. I would trade a second memory card for the D800 auto-focus if given the opportunity to decide.
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    The DF should have been D4 sensor in a D800 body - 6 FPS and a decent buffer - using same grip and battery - job well done.

No need to invent a new body style if it does not solve a real world problem for the user.

Let Leica play the retro game - Nikon should stay focused on inventing and breaking new ground.

D800 made Canon shooters want to go to Nikon - Nikon should make more cameras like that.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Nikon should stay focused on inventing and breaking new ground.
    That's not exactly something Nikon is known for...

If there even is a Df 2, I doubt it will change much. They might slap the D4s sensor in there and call it day.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    The DF should have been D4 sensor in a D800 body - 6 FPS and a decent buffer - using same grip and battery - job well done.

No need to invent a new body style if it does not solve a real world problem for the user.

Let Leica play the retro game - Nikon should stay focused on inventing and breaking new ground.

D800 made Canon shooters want to go to Nikon - Nikon should make more cameras like that.
    While I appreciate asking for something that you want, saying Nikon should not produce something (and you did) because you don't like it is very dismissive of people that buy the DF.

I could dismiss every DX user because I think the sensors are too small. But half of this forum would be in uproar and rightfully so.

To criticize a business decision is another matter. But in that case, the burden of proof is on the person NOT investing the money. I will give one of the greatest camera companies in history the benefit of the doubt way before an opinion on an on-line forum.
    +1 I don't think I would every buy a Leica mostly becuase of the money involved in doing so :)
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    @WestEndBoy: I am sorry if I came across as dissing people who got a DF. That was not what I wanted.

I am not in the market for a mini D4 - the D800 is all the camera I need. In about 2 percent of my shooting I could use a D4. But that is beside the point.

I see a camera as a tool for taking pictures. The DF - to me - does not bring anything to the Nikon lineup that is not already there. OK you change settings in a different way with the DF - but is it a better way? I don't think so.

To make a long story short - I think Fuji is doing a better job at going retro. I could understand a digital F3 that would let you use old MF lenses - focus screen like the F3.

But you are right - we all want something different - I only gave you my opinion on the matter. I respect that your opinion may differ.

All the best.
    edited June 2014
    Electronic split screen on the view finder similar to Fuji or better would be nice.
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    I think Nikon needs to reduce the number of product offerings, not introduce even more models!!

But they do love to introduce more models with silly differences between them.
    @WestEndBoy: I am sorry if I came across as dissing people who got a DF. That was not what I wanted.

I am not in the market for a mini D4 - the D800 is all the camera I need. In about 2 percent of my shooting I could use a D4. But that is beside the point.

I see a camera as a tool for taking pictures. The DF - to me - does not bring anything to the Nikon lineup that is not already there. OK you change settings in a different way with the DF - but is it a better way? I don't think so.

To make a long story short - I think Fuji is doing a better job at going retro. I could understand a digital F3 that would let you use old MF lenses - focus screen like the F3.

But you are right - we all want something different - I only gave you my opinion on the matter. I respect that your opinion may differ.

All the best.
    That is OK. I am a little sensitive to it because I happen to be someone that thinks the DF would be a great complement to my D800 - though if I had to choose between them, it would be the D800 in a heartbeat.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I thought it was silly when I started to read this new forum. It's going to be 20 months before we see an update. However, I do agree that a Dfs and a Dfx would be a nice solution to expand their volume.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    This is where I would (strongly) disagree with Nikon's product development model so far.

IMHO Nikon's job is to produce the best camera for a given purpose and price point, not to provide every single possible combination of differentiated features to fill all market segments.

So let's take this hypothetical Df version 2 as an example. Nikon has two broad options (among others):

1. Option 1: as suggested above, make multiple variants to maximize unit sales. Df-S with low MP and high fps + ISO. Df-X with high MP sensor. Df-M monochrome. Df-lite, a cheaper model, maybe with a DX sensor. Df-T is a premium "Titanium" model. Df-HP with high eye-point. And lets not forget, the Nikon Df 100 year anniversary edition in 2017. (***)

2. Option 2: Nikon thinks hard about the Df philosophy -- what is this camera is supposed to be about -- and decides on ONE model that perfectly fits this role. Stop trying to please everyone, Nikon already has 19 other models for them to choose from. Make the best damn Df version 2 achievable given a target price point.

Personally, I vote Option 2.

(***) Yes I'm being facetious, but Nikon has actually produced many variants similar to these in the past.
    edited June 2014
    Haha. I hear you @pitch. Yet Im satisfied with the DF and my maxed out mid 2012 macbook pro.
    Today im using the D800 for the street photos of the USA soccer fans. My first choice would be the DF to be light incognito and since I didnt get hired for the job its mostly personal use all while having an FX sensor.
    The D800 comes out today since the end of may because I have 4 batterries for it plus several AA batteries for the battery grip. I'll probably wont need all of the firepower but my option is there and thats what I'll shoot today.

Just like the D800/D800e option. Nikon probably figured one d810 was enough vs a D810/D810e

Does anybody want video on the DFv? I have probably recorded less than 5 events or clips with the d90/d7000/d800

I'm happy with this DF concept not only that its a conversation starter and I also pass out my cards to those old school photographers or even the same age group as me. For me its a win win situation.
    I actually have received emails from a passed out card. Its great what this Digital Fusion is doing with me.
    edited June 2014
    Video would degrade the DF in my eyes, though I would not whine to hard if it had it. I have used it about 5 times on my D800 and for nothing worth keeping, though I think the D800 should have video and commend Nikon for the upgrades to video on the D810.

If I want to use video (say the hotsprings in Yellowstone) and don't have a D800, I will use my Coolpix A.
    Post edited by WestEndBoy on
    Scenario: "But no video is a deal breaker to me!! Nikon must make a Df with video! And oh, I absolutely HATE the silver version, those are for posers, and will only buy the black one. I would like a 36mp version, though, could never live with 16mp again."

Let's see... low mp vs high mp, video or not, silver or black. Based on these three "deal breaking" factors alone, Nikon must make eight (8) different variants of just the Df, or they will perish in bankruptcy!!

Yes I'm still being facetious. :)
  • Tradewind35Tradewind35 Posts: 77Member
    I don't see that Nikon have to make a Df2 capable of doing all things for all photographers.Rather they should think a bit more about what the Df philosophy means and (as Ade says) make the best box to meet that brief - that is perfectly definable and do-able. Other needs will be met by the more mainstream models. I think they might improve the integration of the Nikon FM3a style physical controls with the menu driven commands - the Fuji XT1 arguably does a better job in a very high quality package for half the price so that is certainly not mission impossible. I just hope they stick with the investment and don't let it wither away, for me it is about 75% perfect.....if Nikon believe in the philosophy behind the Df blurb I think they might surprise us yet.
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    I like the concept and think the body is cool but not sure if I will ever get one. I would use this because its one of the smaller and lighter DSLR cameras they make, I would want it to remain this way. I would probably use this most for night time photography so having a 16 MP sensor would not hurt my feelings since it should have better low light capabilities but in the first run they "crippled" the AF for low light shooters, just doesn't make much sense other than it would have taken away from D4 sales. Have the option of a grip and maybe the 36 MP model would be welcomed so others could use the camera the way they desired.
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    The DF was released last November - 7 months ago. Talking about what's next is ridiculous.

Equally ridiculous is recreating an already existing body with just a different shell. Make it different.

Quite frankly I would rather Nikon grab the D4s or even Sony's 12mp sensor and slap that into it or something similar. The body is intended for available light shooting - put in the best available light sensor available. Leave video out or make it basic, put the D800/D4 AF module left overs in to hold cost down, and put a smaller lcd screen in and add more customizable buttons. Trim the bling off to bring it down in price by $1,000.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...