Flair with the D600 and the 60mm f/2.8G (Macro)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited July 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I have 3 photo's with strange color flair and put them on Flickr. Two were made in Cochem (Germany), about 50 meters behind me there was water spraying on the grass. The other one was made in Trier, here there was a fountain behind me. This water is maybe an explanation I can give for the extensive flair, but perhaps it is the lens itself. Anybody other ideas?

Flair Trier-9207.jpg
Post edited by [Deleted User] on
Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!

Comments

• ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    Cheap filter? Water/vapor trapped between the lens and the filter?
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
  • JuergenJuergen Posts: 315Member
    I doubt it is moisture outside. Either Elvishefer's suggestion or moisture inside the lens.
    Jürgen
    D4, D800E, Nikon 1 J2, 600 f/4, trinity, PC-E 45, PC-E 24, 105, 50 f/1,8g, 85 f/1,4, Sigma 150-500
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    The AF-S 60/2.8 G Micro IF-ED was manufactured from 2008, but the earlier version (AF only) was from 1989. I am wondering if the old lens coating, the high index of humidity one might suspect from the water spray, and possible haze, could be a factor. I would check this out in less humid conditions with car headlights, street lights, high key backgrounds, and see if the problem still exists. Just my thoughts...
    Msmoto, mod
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2013
    No filter on it, it may be moister. I think that I should see something on other photo's too.
    Good idea Tommy, I will try that.
  • JuergenJuergen Posts: 315Member
    edited December 2013
    Ton, I just looked at the EXIF, it was taken in June. Was your gear maybe still cold from an air-conditioned car? Maybe condensation?
    Post edited by Juergen on
    D4, D800E, Nikon 1 J2, 600 f/4, trinity, PC-E 45, PC-E 24, 105, 50 f/1,8g, 85 f/1,4, Sigma 150-500
  • Yes that could also be a possibility Juergen, but it was about 3 hours after we left the car and made the walk to the castle of Cochem and the Trier photo was a day later. Strange, but these are the only three photo's which has this with this lens, that is why I post this.

In January I let Nikon service center look at it and post the results of that.

Now I have to cook. :\">
  • Last week I was by the Nikon service center.

They said, my 60mm f/2.8g lens is good.
    I shot this without a lens hood.
    This is flair. There advice, use a lenshood.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I wondered if it is a rainbow from fine fountain spray?
    Always learning.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited July 2014
    I agree.. it's just normal lens flare. (Maybe the rainbow colors gives this flare some flair) :-) .. yes just use a lense hood. This kind of flare I think occurs when the sunlight hits the edge of a lense element and the prism like refraction come off it.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• Snp, there was a fountain in the back. By the other 2 photo's I put on Flickr, there was a gardener watering plants left from me. This is the first time I saw such a big flair. Maybe something for the rainbow thread Haerty, Well we all have the info now, glad it is so simple.
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    Cool - I wonder how hard it would be to create that effect. Spray water in the air, try to find the right angle....
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Get the sun in the frame or as close as possible with a dark background.

All lenses have flare. The question is whether it is noticeable. I have fun trying to induce it with my 14-24 because it is hard. The brighter the light source, and darker the subject and more inferior the optics (in this particular regard), the higher the chance of flare.
    I have fun trying to induce it with my 14-24 because it is hard. The brighter the light source, and darker the subject and more inferior the optics (in this particular regard), the higher the chance of flare.
    Either that's really bizarre or you are lucky your style of shooting doesn't challenge the lens in that way, because the 14-24 (with it's prominent front element) is renown to be very prone to flare - big, nasty orange flare during sunsets. I really like the lens but will not buy one because it seems I often challenge lenses in that way when shooting sunsets and the few shots I have taken have had flare. Doubtless there is some way to reduce the problem, but I can't say I've heard of it. One of the nicest coastscapes I've seen was shot with one and was ruined by flare and no one can say the optics of the 14-24 are inferior. It's a great lens, but that - along with the difficulty (cost) of putting filters on it put me off it.
    Always learning.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    edited July 2014
    By hard I mean the sun has to be in the frame with a dark background. I have not noticed it on sunsets, but I usually use my 28 (or even 85) for those. Perhaps it is harder on them? I have not noticed, nor have I tried.
    Post edited by WestEndBoy on
  • SquamishPhotoSquamishPhoto Posts: 608Member
    Its prone to flaring, but to say that it makes big, nasty orange flares is not actually true. Yes, its a pain to filter the lens, but its flare is notable for being rather subdued relative to other lenses that reach a similar focal length. Its quite often just a little rainbow in the bottom of the screen and is generally quite simple to remove in post. I would ignore his bellyaching since he has no real experience with the lens.
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
    Any reader is free to ignore any posters advice @SquamishPhoto - even yours. You are right I don't have any 'real' experience because I don't own one (I only considered getting one), but because a number of people in my club have the lens and I am on the competition selection panel, I do see - dare I even say it - a lot of big nasty orange flare in sunset shots. The kind that you can't get rid of in post. I didn't compare it to others because I have nothing to add about any others. I just called it as I see it.

Your mileage may vary of course, but at least mine is not tainted by actually owning the lens.... :D
    Always learning.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    I find it very interesting that this lens, despite having Nano coating, these types of flairs are happening. Ton, did you have the hood on as you shoot?
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Interesting, I owned a 60mm f2.8G for a while, but found it too short for my use (thus I have the 105mm Macro) but I never found flaring to be a big problem with it. I have shots that I took directly into the sun that have no flair, something none of my other Nano coated lenses have achieved under similar conditions. Of course any lens can have flair issues, if the angle the light that hits the lens is just right.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited July 2014
    I did not had the hood on Golf.

On that holliday I only used this 60mm to travel very light and f/2.8 to use in dark castles and churches. I made 350 photo's in 4 days. 3 of them (different times and days) had this flair. 30 seconds after this shot I made 2 others, from a statue next to it and went about a meter closer, no problem. Full sun about 12:30.

It is just flair and I have 347 photo's from this holliday that are good.

I have the lens checked by Nikon and the lens is good, for me that is the main thing.
    I put it on the forum, just to see if I am the only one with this and as information for all of us, that this can happen.
    Thanks Ton.
    Always learning.
    edited July 2014
    Sorry @Ton about being a spelling Nazi but the word you want is "Flare" not "Flair"... :-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited July 2014
    LOL, I don't mind being corrected, English is not my native language, but I try to do it with flair.
    edited July 2014
    LOL, I don't mind being corrected, English is not my native language, but I try to do it with flair.
    good one !

:)) :)) :)) :)) :))