The 8 most annoying things photographers tell each other

Comments

• FritzFritz Posts: 140Member
    How about: "I photograph exclusively with 35 millimeter"
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    edited July 2014
    There are a couple of things in that list, particularly the first, that are quite innocent in my view.

Whenever anybody asks me a question I give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that it is genuine interest. Even the 5th and 6th question. They are likely new and don't know what to ask or are just awkward people socially. Neither are a crime and I think people that bust people's balls over this are jerks.

So let me add number 9:
    Photographers that take offence to most or all of these questions. I feel that this is a red flag that the person is somehow full of themselves.

That said, I would find #3 and #7 hard to overlook. With the D810 out, I will start to hear more of #7.
    Post edited by WestEndBoy on
  • GodlessGodless Posts: 113Member
    "Nobody needs focal lengths over 200mm" - this from a portrait photographer, which is kind of understandable but still a piece of BS

"Get a 50mm" - advice for any beginning photographer, regardless of their subject & interests
    "Nobody needs focal lengths over 200mm" - this from a portrait photographer, which is kind of understandable but still a piece of BS

"Get a 50mm" - advice for any beginning photographer, regardless of their subject & interests
    Geez, I want to get the 400 2.8 for headshots. I don't even think this applies to portrait photographers.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @WestEndBoy:

Just for some kicks here are a few "portrait" shoots via a 400 2.8

ARN_9463.jpg

ARN_9465.jpg
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    "This is was slightly edited/SOOC not the fake HDR thing"
    Coming from the fine art guy.
    "That is so cliche"
    Their photos are the definition of cliche
    Golf, there is a puddle of drool under my desk.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    edited July 2014
    There are a couple of things in that list, particularly the first, that are quite innocent in my view.

Whenever anybody asks me a question I give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that it is genuine interest.
    Sometimes I ask about the lens and other settings used (flash or not, etc.). It's how I learn. I feel that I am not alone on this as most photography books and articles in photography magazines do something similar for "how I achieved this shot." I see asking as a form of respect and a compliment to the person who took the shot. But maybe I'm clueless...... 8-}

On the flip side, Thom has a nice article basically backing the OP article's number 1 point.
    Post edited by manhattanboy on
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I thought the eight comments were a bit pathetic ...

Try....you are standing at a wedding in a dinner jacket/bow tie with two D800s around your neck and someone says " are you a friend of the family " or "are you a professional photographer."....
    I thought the eight comments were a bit pathetic ...

Try....you are standing at a wedding in a dinner jacket/bow tie with two D800s around your neck and someone says " are you a friend of the family " or "are you a professional photographer."....
    When I get my DF, that will be me. I am a professional, but not a photographer.