Does FVL work with YN622N and Nikon SB-700/910

User01User01 Posts: 5Member
edited July 2014 in Nikon Flashes
Hi there,

currently I am using one Metz 52 AF-1 off-camera (D7100) and 2 YN622N transceivers.
I just found out, that the FVL feature isn't working with that setup.
When I press the FVL button, the flash emits a "test-beam" and the camera locks the value - fine.
Once I take the first shot, it emits a "metered" beam of light, which is fine too - BUT only a single time!
Every further shot I take won't trigger the flash!
I have to press the FVL button again, to remove the value, to make the flash fires again.

The Metz itself, directly on the camera, is working perfectly.

My Question to you guys:
Is there anyone who has D7100 + YN622N + SB-700?
If so, can you do me a favor and test this for me?
I just want to know if it works with Nikon flashes.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards
USER01
Post edited by User01 on

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2014
    I can't test this combination, because I don't have it, but, I can confirm that it works with the Yongnuo YN565X flash on the YN622N remote, triggered with the YN-622N-TX on the Nikon D600. No problem at all.

Then I put the second YN622N trigger on the D600 and FVL works with that too, no difference.

The YN565X on the camera is also no problem.

I tested it with (My umbrella, travel light stuff):
    2 x Yongnuo YN565EX - $ 98.- each
    2 x Yongnuo TTl-HSS trigger YN-622N $ 37,50 each
    Yongnuo YN-622N-TX Flash controller $ 50.-
    2 x Godox Adjustable Pro S-Type Bowens Mount Bracket Holder All-in-One $ 28.-

With those I can do everything, i-TTL, manual, even HSS, but this only on full power (what is obvious) with the YN565EX and control everything with the YN-622-TX on the D600. The FVL with the assigned button on the D600 of course (manual page 149), but I hardly use this.

According to the Yongnuo info it should work, the D7100 and the SB-700 are in there compatible list.

http://yongnuo.eachshot.com/product/yongnuo-yn-622n-yn-622-wireless-i-ttl-ittl-hss-1-8000s-flash-trigger-2-transceivers-for-nikon-dslr/

Hope this helps a little
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • User01User01 Posts: 5Member
    Thanks for your test.
    I was just able to check it with a sb-910 (firmware v. unknown).
    I do have the same issue with that one. Is there maybe a newer hardware version of the YN622N? There is no sign on it which could help in regards to that .. :(

Heres the setup (I reset the YN622N and the D7100 back to factory defaults prior to my test):
    Nikon D7100 (in TTL mode)
    2 x YN622N (in TTL mode)
    Nikon SB-910 (in TTL mode)

1. Push FV Lock button to meter with TTL - the metering flash is emitted as expected
    2. The FV got locked inside the camera
    3. Shot 1: Flash triggered with the FV locked inside the camera
    4. Shot 2: Flash is not triggered
    5. Shot 3: Flash is not triggered ... and so on..

6. FV needs to be unlocked in order to make the flash trigger again.

Regards,
    USER01
    edited July 2014
    Should work, but .... when the YN622N trigger on the camera is in - manual - mode (red) nothing worked by me. So I pressed the GP/mode button till the light at the back of the YN622N turned green, then everything worked. The receive trigger can be in manual or i-ttl mode, no difference by me.

You have to press the shutter half to see if the light on the YN622N is green or red (i-ttl or manual).

Try this one, hope it works.

Second thought, look for firmware for the YN622N, or put a question on the site I mentioned above.

Oh, I can only check this with the Yongnuo YN565EX flash, but the SB-9
    10 should be compatible.
  • User01User01 Posts: 5Member
    The trigger on-camera is in TTL mode - green.
    The trigger off-camera just receives and always shows orange (red) - no matter how often or long i press GP/Mode.
    This should be Ok, thats how I understood the manual...

A Firmware update of the YN622N is not possible - there is no USB port. Only on the TX, which I don't own.

Thansk for your effort.
    I guess I'll just buy a TX for off-camera work and use it in manual mode. That thing seems to be very handy.
    edited July 2014
    The trigger on-camera is in TTL mode - green.
    The trigger off-camera just receives and always shows orange (red) - no matter how often or long i press GP/Mode.
    This should be Ok, thats how I understood the manual...

-- That can be the problem, I can switch mine between green and red, on and off camera. Try if it is the same with that trigger on the camera, even with nothing if it switch.

A Firmware update of the YN622N is not possible - there is no USB port. Only on the TX, which I don't own.

-- You are right.

Thansk for your effort.
    I guess I'll just buy a TX for off-camera work and use it in manual mode. That thing seems to be very handy.
    -- Yes it is and simple to control 3 groups of flashes. You can use it in manual or i-ttl mode, the YN622N are on i-ttl, but I can control it with the TX as if they are manual from 1/1 till 1/128 th power.
  • EffelEffel Posts: 1Member
    About yn622n trigger and SB910 flash : they are compatible as well as with the YN622N-TX. I use them for several months. I had one issue : one day, on location during a corporate event shooting, I did an adjustment to my SB910 via its menu set up. I was using my flash set on manual mode trigged with the YN622N-TX. worked perfect. Then,for the formals, I used a 3 flashes set up. Using my SB910 as fill flash set on TTL. It did not fire any more ... although the 2 other ones were. It took me a while to find out that the AF of the SB910 MUST be set to "on" via its set up menu. Otherwise it never fires in TTL mode
  • SerenSeren Posts: 1Member
    I did thourogh tests with 622 units (both with a flash on top of the sender and the 622-TX) and Nikon D810:

FVL does NOT work with
    - SB-910
    - SB-700

FVL DOES work with
    + Yongnuo YN586EX Nikon

Too bad it does not work with the original Nikon flashes :-/
  • akkualakkual Posts: 2Member
    edited October 2014
    Here's the solution, which most likely solves this issue:

1. Factory reset your flashes
    2. Ensure your AF IL is set ON (on the flash! this is very important!)
    3. Turn Stand By mode OFF (not so important, but increases reliability)
    4. Power on triggers etc.

My SB-700 didn't work on TTL mode from the commander, until I turned ON the AF IL (as someone else said for the SB-910 too). My SB-600 works, but stays at the same power, if AF IL is off and the flash enters Stand by once. And I encountered all sort of other weird problems, until I realized it was the AF IL being OFF that caused them.

So there's some issue with this AF IL thing. I guess the Nikon flashes don't like what the triggers tell them, unless the AF IL is ON.
    Post edited by akkual on
  • akkualakkual Posts: 2Member
    And just to be sure: Turn the AF IL or AF illumination ON on the flashes themselves! (not on the camera).
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    those of you who have the yn-622n how exactly do you turn on/off the af assist beam emitter?
    I got a 2 pair and one doesn't work and the other one does. I press the button on the manual either under 3 seconds or more than 3 seconds and i can't change the state of either of the two.