Need help with backpacking camera case

Comments

• proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    This device looks pretty cool. So does the base plate that comes with it work with other tripod manufacturers like Vanguard and Manfrotto? Sorry for my ignorance of the Arca standards?

And as JJSO asked, what do you do when carrying lenses that you wouldn't want dangling from your camera body because of the weight and the resulting torque on the mount (i.e. 70-200)?

Very interesting and very useful piece of gear though.
  • itsnotmeyouknowitsnotmeyouknow Posts: 481Member
    edited May 2013
    @JJ_SO: This unit was intended for the OP's request, thus it is up to him, as well as ours, for consideration.

When I get the Capture, I will post a video with it on my D4 and the 14-24, 24-70 and the 70-200 2.8 attached to it so we can all see how it functions. Please stay tuned. :)

As for the Black Rapid strap, I have that as well...it is a great tool. However, even with this unit the user still has to remove the fasaner in order to use the camera body on and tripod.
    I used the pd thing you linked for a while, but its fiddly on a rucsac strap. It would be better with a smaller and lighter camera than a D800. I stopped using it as I have manfrotto tripod heads and its a pain changing over QR plates and the screws become looser in time.

As far as the black rapid is concerned, I have two of them and have them attached to Manfrotto QR plates, so I can unclip the star and put the camera straight on a tripod.

I wouldn't trust a sun sniper version. My Pentax 645D crashed to floor from one of those resulting in $1800 worth of repairs.
    Post edited by itsnotmeyouknow on
  • jjdarlingjjdarling Posts: 59Member
    I have a BlackRapid strap and it is just as sturdy as when I bought it a few years ago and shows no sign whatsoever of deteriorating. It is tough.

However, the way the camera hangs, if you're active it will swing. Also, the lens will rub against your side, making it JUST as vulnerable to dings from tight doorways, etc. Furthermore, switches tend to be on the left side of the lens, and I often accidentally turn off AF or VR on accident just by basic movement. Also, if you sweat as much as I do, you'll rue that thick black strap across your chest.

Make no mistake, I love my BR strap and those points above are just me being nitpicky, but I'm definitely interested in trying the Peak Capture, as I'm almost always wearing either a backpack or a thick belt. If you get one, please keep us posted with your thoughts on it.
    www.jjdarling.com
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @jjdarling: I have had the same things happen to me while using the BR. In fact, to insure that my camera bodies dose not swing to much or hit any object, I always have my hand on the body as it rests next to my side.

Will keep you posted on the Capture...should be here in the next few days.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    "In fact, to insure that my camera bodies dose not swing to much or hit any object, I always have my hand on the body as it rests next to my side. "

+1

That is essential.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Gosh, I do this as well....the camera hanging next to me on a "Black Rapid" style strap short enough to have the camera sit above my right buttocks. And, in most cases, my right hand is back there on the camera grip loosely keeping it from swinging around.
    Msmoto, mod
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    As a postscript to this, I'm going to be in NYC this weekend and will stop into a shop that carries the Peak Design carrier. If it feels right (and the adapter plate works with my Vanguard tripod head, which Peak has assured me it will), I think that for $79 it's tough to go wrong for something like that. I do quite a bit of hiking with my camera and I think this would be useful. I don't think it could be used to secure a body with a 300 f/2.8 (at the very least the adapter plate would have to be attached to the lens), but probably for a 70-200 it would work.

I'll let you all know where I land.
  • jjdarlingjjdarling Posts: 59Member
    @jjdarling: I have had the same things happen to me while using the BR. In fact, to insure that my camera bodies dose not swing to much or hit any object, I always have my hand on the body as it rests next to my side.
    Well, I try to do this, but I often have my camera in places where I need my hands, as I quite frequently take photos while riding a bicycle. Unlike with the Peak Capture, I can pick up or drop the camera on a BR strap while riding a bike really quickly if necessary with minimal fiddling or distraction.

Also, my BR strap once started a bar fight! I was not in the fight, I was more like the Helen of Troy in that story. Also like Helen of Troy, it is a long story that is for another day.
    www.jjdarling.com
    Got some goodies to play with today. :) :-bd

ARN_7508.jpg
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,343Member

Also, my BR strap once started a bar fight! I was not in the fight, I was more like the Helen of Troy in that story. Also like Helen of Troy, it is a long story that is for another day.
    hey now, don't keep us hangin' on too long . . . ;)
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
    Oooooh right..so here is a video regarding my thoughts on the Peak Design Capture. I hope I'm getting better with each video and if not well as they said in Spartacus: "Apologies. Let us have words!"

Shot using the following gear: D7000, 35 1.8G, ISO 1600 @ f/8.0
  • JuergenJuergen Posts: 315Member
    Great video, thanks Golf.
    Jürgen
    D4, D800E, Nikon 1 J2, 600 f/4, trinity, PC-E 45, PC-E 24, 105, 50 f/1,8g, 85 f/1,4, Sigma 150-500
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Thanks, "Golf"....

I suspect what one might want to do is get together with some photo club, ask some of the members to bring different packs to a meeting and then test out each one. I have about five or more cases/packs and I am constantly thinking a new one might be better..... for reasons I can always come up with....LOL.

Short trips, or with the Big Bertha my huge Tenba, smaller bag, I have a couple options. But, I think each of us is a bit different anatomically, so different strokes for different folks.

My personal preference for something like the Peak Design Capture is that I like the idea of being able to swing the camera out of the way should I trip, and I think the camera securely fastened might mean I fall on it, injuring both myself and the camera.
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    +1 on that Tommie. I took a heavy fall last year and on the way down made the decision to take the hit on my body while holding my camera out of the way. I lost a lot of skin on elbows, knees and body, but my camera never knew I had fallen. My skin was healed like new in a fortnight. :)
    Always learning.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    edited May 2013
    @Golf007sd; how do you interface that with the RRS gear you have (sorry your video doesn't work)?
    Post edited by Killerbob on
    edited May 2013
    @Killerbob: The RRS L-Plates have a standard 1/4" screw in the bottom of them which can be used for many items...ie. small gorilla pods etc. In this case, I attached the Capture plate to it. Note the picture at the bottom of the L-plate.

Lastly, what do you mean my video doesn't work? Are you unable to see it on your computer via Youtube or are you referring that it lacks in addressing your question to me?

BD4L-animation

This is what it looks like when the Capture plate is attached to the L-Plate:

IMG_0443
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,343Member
    Video works fine for me Golf. In Firefox.

I plan on trying to pick up a Capture clamp to try in the next day or two.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    Ah, you need the other QR plate because the direction of the PD capture is 90 degrees to the L-plate's. So you can still use the tripod in portrait or landscape mode. How stable is this double decker QR when fixed on the ballhead?
    The video didn't work when I was sitting at home, but it works here at work.

As for adding the PD QR plate to the L-plate, I'd think that is a bit much... With a battery grip on the D800, with just the QR plate, it is already fairly "tall", with the L-plate in addition it will be too much, and I was hoping the L-plate from RRS would miraculously slide into the PD capture. So I guess it is off/on with the L-plate when I want to use the PD system.
    @JJ_SO & Killerbob: Once I get my gear back from Nikon, I will test it out on my ball head and tripod and see how it works.
    I don't expect it to be worse than the usage of a D800 above it's battery grip. I just think, your D4's body plate is stiffer than the thin magnesium shell of the MB D12.
  • roombarobotroombarobot Posts: 201Member

For hiking I got the Lowepro Flipside Sport 10L AW. It is a tight fit for the Nikon D800, but should fit most (except for the D4 or without the battery grip). I got this to be the smallest. It can fit the D800 and several lenses, like the Tokina 16-28mm, Nikon 24-120mm, & 50mm prime. If you want to carry more, you should go for the bigger bag. All the Sport AW bags come with a rain cover. I wanted the smallest bag I could get, for portability. Happy shooting!

I've also a Lowepro Flipside 400AW for hiking. But the access flap is faced to the back of the carrier. To accesss the gear, I have to turn the bag to facing against me which means the hips belt is the only thing attached to me, the shoulder straps are lose in that moment. That's one of the reasons I would not attach a camera holster on the shoulder strap of this particular bag. It was a good deal, though and one can't expect to be everything you need of a single bag.
    edited May 2013
    I have the LowePro Flipside 500AW and I love it. I have been through other LowePros, Tamracs, and even some other carrying systems, but this has got to be the best all-around bag I have tried. It fits a LOT. And I really mean a LOT. Compared to my Tamrac the access is much larger, and the bag itself is much deeper. I can actually have my Nikon 24-70mm and the Tamron 70-300mm in there standing up.

The setup with you carrying the opening against your back, and accessing it by turning the bag around to your front is excellent. It takes a couple of tries to feel secure about doing that, and JJ_SO is right, you can't have loose stuff hanging on the bag, but once you get used to it, it is fast and secure.

I have early on decided to carry most of my stuff, and in addition to the Flipside 500AW I also have the LowePro Technical Utility belt, Harness, Toploader, and several lens bags. When I am traveling around I have it all in the Flipside, and if I am just out'n'about I have it all on my belt and the BlackRapid...

Have to figure out a way to start using the Peak Design as well:)
    Post edited by Killerbob on
  • ibecameweibecamewe Posts: 32Member
    I prefer camera backpacks such as lowepro computreker, is there anything out there same capacity but more versatile, like a shoulder bag or even better a backpack/shoulder bag.