Need help with backpacking camera case

13»

Comments

• JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    I'm usually going with a ThinkTank sling-o-matic 20 and appreciate their clever design. They also have some nice bagpacks.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Well it would seem that Peak Design is coming out with a new clip called Capture V2.

Here is a video that tell you all about it.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,337Member
    edited July 2013
    I got a Peak Design Capture clip based on discussion in threads here. I mount it on the strap on my camera bag, making two camera transport easy. Also use the Peak Design Cuff wrist strap, primarily as a security tether, one on each camera (including when one of the cameras is on my shoulder strap). Think Tank bags are nice; robust construction, yet comfortable.
    Post edited by dissent on
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • sidewayssideways Posts: 54Member
    edited July 2013
    I like to be able to carry a very minimal setup for travel and hiking. Until recently when I was seduced by higher image quality and a nice big viewfinder I used a D60 with 18-200 which is pretty compact. I was able to find a samsonite shoulder bag designed for a camcorder which was a good snug fit for this with decent padding. The bag has the same general shape as the classic Domke bags and the camera carried on it's side with a zipped top flap for easy access. Importantly the zip is at the body side so the top flap helps keep the camera in not spill it out. When hiking I carry the camera bag messenger style with my pack over the top. The camera rides above the waistbelt to the side where it's quick to take in and out and can be pushed behind the hip when you need to do something more vertical. The padding of the samsonite bag stops a lot of minor bumps and scuffs.
    Now I have to start again and find a new "minimal" bag like this to fit a D800/24-70 ... My best answer so far is the brown padded insert shown on the ciesta.co.kr website which is quite a good fit, but I need a domke or similar minimally padded bag that it will fit snugly into.
    If you climb as well as hike and your bag routinely bumps against the rock, a final trick is to cut a 1cm thick piece of sorbo rubber or close cell foam to sit either in the bottom or front side of the bag to give extra protection from knocks. You can also drop in a piece of thin, stiff plastic like kydex if you're going somewhere evil - this acts like the trauma plate in a bulletproof vest, spreading sharp impacts over a bigger area so that the padding can soak it and nothing gets through to the camera ... All of this is light and doesn't interfere with taking the camera cleanly in and out of the padded insert.
    Cheers
    Post edited by sideways on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I smell spam....
    Always learning.
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    Oh, it was not just me who wondered about the relation of intimepromos and backpacks... :-B
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Mmmm...I think I agree...first time user drops website and bag......
    Msmoto, mod
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    I would often use a large fanny pack which I could wear backwards (the belt clip on my back and the bag across my front) so I could simply un-zip the case and pull my camera out.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I would often use a large fanny pack which I could wear backwards (the belt clip on my back and the bag across my front) so I could simply un-zip the case and pull my camera out.
    Yous guys are spoiled for choice on most things over there!

So much to buy, so little money.....
    Always learning.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    A good review for those that adds addition insight to some of the points I made:

Capture Clip Pro vs SpiderPro Camera Holster Review

I must admit the SpiderPro Camera Holster is very appealing as well....hmmmm. Might get one and see for myself.

D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |