New Flickr Look

Comments

• blackfoxblackfox Posts: 48Member
    after a few days ,the views per pic are down,the comments down ,the faves down ,the atmosphere is zero ,the banter is zero ,yeah o.k your main picture of the day looks great but the context has been taken out of it .the whole site looks like its been designed by a bunch of hipped up school kids ,high on whatever they use these days and thinking they are demi-gods that cannot be rebuked .i also see that they are gradually shutting down /closing the complaint threads in help stating that they really want to help us ,yeah where that banana boat i just arrived on :-0(
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    Flickr seems to develop into a social network site rather than photo sharing site. But I like the new layout. I would agree with the comments that state it is slower now.
  • GabGab Posts: 63Member
    I miss the mini exif info panel, I don't like that my friends don't click on my pictures anymore. As a free user the biggest limitation for me was the inability to post in more than 10 groups, at least that is gone. Also the full screen view gets stuck on loading all the time.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Flickr has created a new format which because I am so familiar with the older look, I find a bit less easy to use. And, I would like to see a simple menu rather than some icons which I have no clue as to what they mean.
    Msmoto, mod
  • blackfoxblackfox Posts: 48Member
    its started to work on my i-pad now ,i did finally manage to get a post in the help forum re that and it seems they acted on it .as it started working shortly after .
    i have joined 500px but its not the same atmosphere ,i-pernity i am not sure about so at this moment in time it looks like we are stuck with new-flickr .the comments seem to have been opened out a bit after complaints to .best thing to do is go straight to your own pics to avoid that bloody awfull home/opening page
    @blackfox

Agree....I want it to open on my photostream and have a useful menu. It looks like they tried to copy 500px in some respects.

Reminds me of a comment from my instructor in 1965..."They tried so hard to be different they forgot to be good."
    Msmoto, mod
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I have found some of the items such as View all sizes, Exif, etc, but they are well hidden behind three dots on the lower right...

And, once one realizes a lot of the options....like a cover photo...it may not be so bad. IMO it will take some getting used to.

And I now have a photo of me with Flathead Lake in the background.....near Kalispell, taken in 2008 on my last solo cross country motorcycle trip.
    Yes, I'm not sure why they hid it for basically aesthetic reasons. It's an extra layer of menu I didn't need to wade through.

For the most part for non-pro users we really didn't lose much at all. I'm pretty happy myself, we all just got our accounts upgraded for doing nothing.

And now we won't get capped after 200 shots.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    I'm not sure this helped me, but maybe it may help some other users -

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/311828/8-things-we-love-about-the-new-flickr
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    I'm not sure this helped me, but maybe it may help some other users -

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/311828/8-things-we-love-about-the-new-flickr
    Thanks for the link! A quick read but for us users I am not sure somebody's magazine article will be convincing. The jury is still out for me but the new look Flickr is clearly is more cumbersome if you want information beyond the images. Certainly those that are using Flickr free are getting a great deal.

As far as Flickr competing with Instagram - For serious photographers I don't believe Instagram is an option. But I suspect Flickr is trying to capture "their share" of the online ad revenue and doing things that appeal to the cell phone camera user and providing huge free storage may be attractive. Clearly there are two different markets but the costs of running an appealing photo/video website that can accommodate millions of users are indistinguishable.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Occasionally a decent image ...
  • Witty_NicknameWitty_Nickname Posts: 193Member
    edited May 2013
    Here's the last photo that I'll upload to flickr.

Goodbye Flickr

Switching to Ipernity.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/witty_nickname
    Post edited by Witty_Nickname on
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    edited May 2013
    I've been reading this thread for a few days and have been thinking of tossing my own 2 cents out there.

Yeah, I hear you Nathen. But things change. Has the new design really hampered your experience that much? I know the first time I saw it I found it a little jarring, but really web sites do that fairly frequently (redesign either the front end or the back end), and for a number of different reasons. To do anything else runs the risk of appearing stale and losing market share.

Take Facebook, of which I'm a fairly active user. Every so often they'll make some design change and the entire Facebook community en masse will groan and wail, promising to abandon the service (the free service) if Facebook makes JUST ONE MORE CHANGE. Then 2 weeks later everyone has forgotten about the change and we all go on. Granted, we all pay $24 a year for Flickr accounts, which is money, but it's a pretty small price to pay for such a convenient way for me to put my work for critique in front so many of my photographer friends (my other friends and family members see stuff on Facebook) at one time. That goes for everyone else as well I assume.

Yes, there are parts of Flickr that have become very "social media like," and that's a little annoying. But as for the look and feel, I think it's pretty easy and intuitive (a little like the Aperture interface in my mind). Granted, burying the EXIF data is a bit of a slap to photographers. But before you fully abandon it, I'd ask that you just sit with it for a little. I for one would miss your prairie landscapes, which I think are excellent and give me some great ideas.

Best,
    Greg
    Post edited by proudgeek on
    A bit of change is always good. But a massive upheaval and complete re-do is just too much.
    It's too damn slow and I do not enjoy my browsing experience on Flickr anymore.

They can keep their ad revenue and sluggish attempt at becoming "young and hip".
    I'd gladly stay if they left us an option to pay for the "Classic view".

Sadly, they want all users to signup for the free account and make $$$ on ad revenue.

I will still be posting photos on the forum. :)
  • birdmanbirdman Posts: 115Member
    It's a nice look, although I prefer the simplicity of the classic formula. Maybe I'm just accustomed. It's tailor-made to match other interfaces, and should work better with smartphones, etc. Flickr is a great site, and very reasonably priced IMHO for what you get.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    After working with the new look Flickr for a few days I'm finding that I can locate most of the usual things I was using to browse images. Still miss seeing exposure data on the first photo link page, however, so have to resort to exif link.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
    Ads aren't an issue for me at all. AdBlock Plus and NoScript takes care of 90% of the ads.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    Ads aren't an issue for me at all. AdBlock Plus and NoScript takes care of 90% of the ads.
    Yes, I too block them. But it's my friends and family that will get bombarded.
    Yes, I too block them. But it's my friends and family that will get bombarded.
    True, but for me again, it's not much of a problem as they don't really use Flickr. Your mileage may vary.

Honestly, Flickr is very well optimized on mobile devices. There's a quick button on the Flickr app for Android where you can see exif info pretty quickly. I'm using it on a Nexus 7.
    The sequence in my photo stream is mixed up, anybody having the same experience?
  • PierrePierre Posts: 360Member
    Looks good but much harder to do simple things, like adding a description after upload or delete multiple photos. I always was using free, actually a few of them, no longer need to do that now so for me its a big improvement.

I can understand Yahoo for encouraging full res uploads, this way, there is better quality available for those agencies using our work for free without our knowledge/consent. Maybe they are getting paid big time for that...

I can understand Yahoo for encouraging full res uploads, this way, there is better quality available for those agencies using our work for free without our knowledge/consent. Maybe they are getting paid big time for that...
    I have the impressions that stealing pictures from the internet is a fairy tale, it might happen by some kids on FB because they are not aware of the legal situation. Overall this is only done in very rare occasions and usually not by image agencies. You can always reverse look up your pictures via google or tineye and then have your lawyer send them an invoice for the picture and the lawyer fee.
  • rschnaiblerschnaible Posts: 308Member
    The sequence in my photo stream is mixed up, anybody having the same experience?
    Not here... must be a small group that you are a member of (which has to be a frustration)
  • PierrePierre Posts: 360Member
    edited May 2013
    I have the impressions that stealing pictures from the internet is a fairy tale ... then have your lawyer send them an invoice for the picture and the lawyer fee.
    Walmart, Virgin, Toyota, the Daily Mail and many others got caught with their hands in the cookie jar. There was a story in the paper about a year ago describing how big firms across the planet were replacing their photog teams by low paid and often offshore hires searching full time sites like Flickr, 500px and even Facebook.

Having to pay for the rare cases where being caught wrong doing is a drop in the bucket and acceptable risk compared to the benefits. Even car manufacturer have admitted paying for lawsuits where people got killed was cheaper than doing massive recalls.

There was a story posted here by one of our NR member who saw a photo he had posted low-res on the PAD from a big sport event in India being used without his knowledge in the local news the very next morning.

Business is business... The big eat the small. Do some Google searches. Looking for "is-the-uk-government-trying-to-kill-of-photographers" would be a good start.

Now, is claiming that Yahoo itself get money from the practice that far-fetched and "conspiracy theory"ish ? For sure, having access to the full-res will make the life of many so much easier.

Post edited by Pierre on
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    So I get an email today from Flickr informing me that in July they are going to charge me for my Pro Account. Yet they have stated that "Pro Accounts" are no longer being offered. Moreover, all the features of what used to be Pro is not part of their Free Account. So I went ahead and removed the authorization I had given Yahoo Wallet in running the charge.

So my question is: how many of you also got this notification and what actions did you take in addressing it?
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    I have about 2500 snaps on Flickr and will be paying $24.95 on June 24. I use Flickr as a secondary backup for the stuff and also it works so others can download the images with out any cost to them.

I think 500px was about twice this cost and not nearly as user friendly IMO. Others seem to have issues as well, and now that I am figuring out the "new" Flickr, all seems to be going well.
    Msmoto, mod
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @Msmoto, so what am I not getting with a Free account vs a Pro Account...that they say is not longer being offered. Hence, this info:
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |