street photography the who the what and the pictures

Comments

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    @Rx4Photo the following photos are of what you describe. The two of the girls are candids and the two of the guys they wanted the photos taken. One photobomb my shot and the other was just a hyped up kid who wanted a photo. I interacted with both men briefly.
    I really enjoy street photography and this year I had more intereaction than before.

Resting

Untitled

Untitled

Cheese
  • studio460studio460 Posts: 205Member
    What are your experiences with people . . . What are your techniques?
    When I first bought my Nikon D3s in 2011, street photography was one of my first attempts. Armed with a 24mm f/1.4G, and an 85mm f/1.4G, I walked up to total strangers and asked if I could take their picture. Surprisingly, no one refused. I was nervous as hell at first, but the more people I asked, the more confident I became. My very first subject was really great. Now that I have my Nikon Df, I can't wait to go out and try it again.

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Looking forward to some pictures !
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• studio460studio460 Posts: 205Member
    Here's some from those first nights out with my Nikon D3s, using the 24mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 50mm f/1.4, respectively:

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    How about a "window" photo....

NRF_Hampton_VI_03.30.14-13

D4, 24/1.4 at f/1.4, 1/100 sec, ISO 1800
    Msmoto, mod
    @msmoto I have been meaning to do more window photos.

I just ran into this article
    and I still feel or have the fear of street photography but more confident and more aware than before.
    I have missed alot of shots like the article says, the whole scene was a one of kind but I didn't take it and it is my loss.

I did take one photo where I encountered a couple holding each other and crying. I had the manual 55 lens and I took several photos and I remember viewing them on the laptop but I can't find them anymore. Either I deleted them because they were not in focus or I just simply deleted them.

I haven't had any issues with people this year that I can remember. So far everything has been safe around here.

As an added safety factor in my being out on the street, a stun gun was a gift for Christmas....Yes! Now, when I request folks not get closer...as in "please do not come any closer" while holding up a hand, I have some real potential to stop them....

I doubt this will be needed however, as I have always found the verbal request suggests i mean business and no one has as of yet continued to approach once given the request.
    Msmoto, mod
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    I just came across this thread.

I love street photography. I like the grittiness that you can get, especially at night. 9 out of 10 times, I am walking my dog while taking pictures. I love the candid shots when people don't know they are being photographed. I prefer that actually and never ask people because then it will be posed. I carry a pocket full of change in the event I see an interesting homeless person. This makes them feel more comfortable getting their picture taken.

As others have said, most people are willing to get their picture taken. If a person notices that I took their picture, I usually say, "Thanks," or "Hi," or something that makes them feel more comfortable and that I'm not some weirdo. Some people ask if I work for the newspaper, why I would take their picture, or sometimes just laugh and keep walking.

If asked why or what, I always respond that I like taking street photography and capture people in their nature element. I have met more people of all ages and aspects of life. The super rich who drive a Ferrari, and the people most down on their luck.

I'm not a shy person by nature. I can usually strike up a conversation with anyone without worries. So, taking pictures of people seems to be a no-brainer for me.
    edited January 2015
    @Hammie

Your discussion above suggests to me why I like many of your street shots....

If asked, I usually will tell folks the photos may end up on Flickr, but that they may be published in news media as well. Most folks have no issues with this in public venues, unless of course one is dealing with someone with a severe mental illness, many whom are on the "street". Important IMO is to be able to "read" our subjects, and if a sense of hostility is detected or they are requesting no photos I always back off. There are so many who are very agreeable to having their image captured especially when dealing with "street" people who are panhandling. Of course, the expectation is a couple dollars to each subject.

Here is one I like, but it might be better cropped tighter....

NRF_Hampton_VI_03.30.14-6

The idea of an action shot with the 24 is somehow interesting for me.....
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • calengorcalengor Posts: 277Member
    I'm fairly shy and often have trouble even trying to photograph people on the street. It's something I'm trying to work on. Probably what I fear the most is that people will think I'm a creep. As such, I only have about 4 pictures of people out on the street from this year.

This is the same guy who is busking in the picture above, about 4 months later

This one is my personal favorite, which I only had the courage to take mostly because he was napping and didn't see me take the shot.
    @calengor

Taking pictures of people is sort of a risk. However, many folks enjoy their picture taken. Your first picture is a perfect example of this. As Msmoto said, you need to read facial cues and body language. There are some people downtown where I will avoid them at any cost. Many of the homeless in Frederick have mental issues, but many of them are very kind and just down on their luck. Take their picture, slip them a little something (food or money is best) and you will forever be a "friend" to them.

Some of my best shots are actually when I am not moving. Sit down on one of the brick or stone walls with a cup of coffee and wait.

The cold has hindered a lot of the people shots lately. Even on Friday night at around 8-9pm, there was no one out. Maybe only a handful of folks. Summertime and First Saturdays are the best times to capture people in their natural element.

BTW, you have some really great shots. Don't worry about the shyness it can sometimes be a benefit. Shoot move on. Either avoid talking and eye contact or just smile and continue on your way. Repeat. :-)
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited January 2015
    @calengor

Many of the homeless in Frederick have mental issues, but many of them are very kind and just down on their luck. T
    Is it my imagination or is " street photography" becoming a synonym for photographing down and outs?

Post edited by sevencrossing on
    @sevencrossing

If you look at my street photography, I don't believe I have many that fall in that category. I think I only have one or two.

Homeless are not my primary focus when I am out and about. They probably account for less than 1% of all of the photographs that I take that fall under the "street" theme. I know others take more of the homeless, but I think that is more because they are the ones mostly avoiding eye contact with the people around them or they are sleeping or something else which allows the photographer to have as little contact or interaction as possible.
    I definitely find it easier to take pictures of people that are down and out, more than likely for the reasons @Hammie listed above.

I have to work on my own comfort level and getting over whether people think I'm a creeper or not when taking their picture out in public. I usually head out with the dog, and he's not super keen on sitting still for a bit whilst out. He holds long enough for me to grab some shots, but he always wants to keep moving forward. At the same time, I think the dog makes people perceive me as less of a weirdo.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I think that is mostly in your head. I bet that 75% of folks don't even know or care that they are being photographed. Of the other 25%, less than 1% of those think "perv" or "creeper". The 24% notice, and don't care why you are taking the photo, they are just generally annoyed at the world. Just snap your photo and move on, they will forget about it in 30seconds anyway when the next text message pops up on their phone :-)
    I have shot maybe a few homeless but not to exploit them and haven't posted all of them.

One photo I posted just so happens that the homeless person walked in to my scene. I don't really photograph them because one time I saw the pain in one of their face. When he saw me. I wasn't even goint to photograph him.

This is the photo. I was attacted to the light it just so happens that by the time I got there he arrived at the same time.

Step into the light

here is a photo that I took candids and then asked for diffrent angles. I gave her my info to contact me if she wanted the photos.

Butterlfy
    Not sure if this is "street photography" ( it was taken in the street)
    D800 80-400 @135mm 1/175, f8 ISO 1000
    @sevencrossing

Yes, I would say it falls under the definition as I understand it.
    Went out this afternoon with the 50mm f/1.8G to try to get some more "street photographs". After getting home I noticed I don't get close enough to people to fill the frame with it. So I'll either have to work on getting comfortable shooting closer, or use a longer focal length.

This one is cropped, I shot it landscape, but the girls walking home from beauty school were too small.

This one is cropped, but not by a lot. I couldn't get his face in the shot from the angle I was at.

This one is not cropped.

This one is cropped quite a bit, but I don't think it really falls under street photography
    @calengor

Those are all great examples of street.

The second one would have been a bit better with the guys face, but it is still a good one.

The third one is a great distance, IMO.

The last is also a fine example of street.

Great shots!
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @calengor

Many of the homeless in Frederick have mental issues, but many of them are very kind and just down on their luck. T
    Is it my imagination or is " street photography" becoming a synonym for photographing down and outs?

I know what you mean. They are actually 'street portraits' and as such are getting marked down in competitions I enter for being too cliche'd. Street photography is a pretty strictly defined genre in competition circles.
    Always learning.
    edited January 2015
    Street photography is a pretty strictly defined genre in competition circles.
    can you enlighten us on "the rules"
    This won £2,000 in a local competition

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Yes, that is street photography fair and square. The person is not the subject or overtly aware of the photo being taken.
    Always learning.
    Photographing the skaters. Good thing he was on skates, his girl held him back and i was outside the rink.

I didnt notice the encounter until i was home

Untitled