Battery Grip Advantages?

2»

Comments

• SkimMilkSkimMilk Posts: 5Member
    Happy New Year all!

I'm using a third party grip on my D7000. I like the feel with the grip on. It just feels better and much more stable.
    I'm Asian, not monstrous hands but slightly long fingers, so I guess it fits me better?

I got the 3rd party as the original is seriously way overpriced. I'd rather spend on something else instead.
    So far, the grip has been serving me well for nearly a year.
    :)
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @ Ratatoskr:
    spraynpray:
    Why you answer with a ridiculous animation?

I thought emoticons were included in the forum to be used.  The wasp was included because I felt PB_PM's reply had a nice little sting to it but that seems to have escaped you.

spraynpray:

Just give a straight answer, unless you are just making up everything you say.

SAY WHAT?

OK, if it helps you Ratatoskr:

You referred to all lenses that don't have a tripod foot as small and lightweight and PB_PM replied with:

"You mean, like the 24-70 F2.8? The grip obviously wouldn't be an issue when using lenses with a tripod foot.

This is the reason for using the :bz because there was heavy irony in that reply but that seems to have escaped you.  If you require any further clarification, please PM me so we don't clutter the forum with this stuff.

Oh, and BTW:  The 70-300 does not have a tripod foot either (annoyingly) so trying to use that with a grip on is horrible.
    Always learning.
  • ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    If you hold your camera in the manner of Joe McNally's "the grip" for landscape shots, having the battery pack on makes that particular hold more comfortable and more stable. As someone else mentioned, if you are in the habit of shooting without a strap, being able to leverage your pinky finger when holding the camera down at your side is also a big plus. I can hold my D700 and whatever trinity lens that way without using my thumb, with the camera hanging free. 

I sometimes forget I have it on for portrait shots... but when I don't, it's definitely a nice to have.
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Agreed, Joe's trick is very useful, and doesn't really work without a grip or D3/D4 sized body.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • RatatoskrRatatoskr Posts: 32Member
    sraynpray:

1. Emoticons are actually used to emphasize a statement and when you don't directly refer to a statement it could mean anything. One could make an assumption on you either throwing out that emoticon all alone to my question or to the answer prior to your lonely emoticon. I never assume anything. Assuming, just like USA attacking Irak, is the root to a lot of conflicts. Find out the truth and be clear and you minimize a lot of conflicts.

2. Yes, it helps me for you to be CLEAR, and for the rest of the world.
    I have not referred to any lenses that don't have a tripod foot. My questions only ask if it's a small/lightweight lens, not if it has a foot or not.

3. The 24-70 lens statement wasn't helping me as I don't know if it is heavy or light, foot or not.

The lenses I use on mono/tripod all tripod foot so I have no practice with using small ones and mounting the camera directly on the pod. This is why I asked you guys so I could get an understanding to the real underlying problem. Now I know and it makes sense.

Have you just simply given a straight answer to imo my simple questions then we wouldn't be were we are now.

Thanks for finally answering although with an attitude of superiority. I hope you got the same feeling in my answer :)

Again, if people wouldn't always assume things that haven't been said, life would be much easier.
    Man's heart away from nature becomes hard. - Standing Bear
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value. - Arthur C. Clarke
    edited January 2013
    Re: 24-70mm F2.8 is a 900g lens, not overly heavy, but it does cause flex between the D700 and MB-D10.

Frankly if someone cannot take ten seconds to google it, that's kind of their own problem, IMO.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    sraynpray:

1. Emoticons are actually used to emphasize a statement and when you don't directly refer to a statement it could mean anything. One could make an assumption on you either throwing out that emoticon all alone to my question or to the answer prior to your lonely emoticon. I never assume anything. Assuming, just like USA attacking Irak, is the root to a lot of conflicts. Find out the truth and be clear and you minimize a lot of conflicts.
    I-)
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Nice, that someone mentioned the fact one can "hang" the camera on one's finger tips.  I do this all the time and never even thought about how convenient the grip is when used that way.
    Msmoto, mod
  • jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    Does anybody know which of the non-Nikon grips are the best?
    I used a Zeikos grip on the D90 and it was great. The Zeikos for D7000 has the mode dial directions reversed, along with the same grip marketed as Meike or Neewer. 

The one I've got my eye on for this year is Phottix, which reviewers say has the dial directions right. It's double the other 3rd party prices but still half the Nikon one, and I've been really impressed with the phottix equipment I own (two remote releases).
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.
    OK, thanks Jonny.  I'll check it out.
    Always learning.
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    edited January 2013
    I personally don't use knockoff grips because they are hit or miss but that is me. The Phottiz is not bad tho.

A grip not only helps stabilize the camera but it makes it comfier to hold. The Af button is useful but the portrait command dials are even more useful (your wrist will love you). Having 2 batteries means around 3500-4000 shots before you run out of power too. I love a grip because I never worry about running out of juice and if all else fails it takes AA batteries. Last but not least it balances out lenses like the 70-200mm much better than the standalone D7000 does.
    Post edited by kyoshinikon on
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
    The fact that the grip enables AA batteries is a real bonus, especially if you go camping for a week or two with no way to recharge your standard lithium packs. An additional plus is that, it almost guarantees that you can keep using the camera (assuming you don't ware it out) years after new batteries are no longer on the market. I know some people might be tempted to use third party batteries, but I've had a bad experience with third party batteries (using one messed up the power management in my D700).
    I know some people might be tempted to use third party batteries, but I've had a bad experience with third party batteries (using one messed up the power management in my D700).
    Oh man, I hate reading things like that PB.  Rumour and dodgy videos on YouTube are easy to ignore but that from you isn't.
    Always learning.
    edited January 2013
    @spraynpray When I say batteries, I mean the lithium packs, not grips. I've never bought a third party accessory (battery aside) that directly interfaces with the camera's electronics, too risky IMO.

As for the battery itself, well that was a risk I took. It was a OEM look alike, and I couldn't tell. I didn't return the battery because a) It works just fine in my old D200 & b) it was cheap.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    Understood PB.  I bought one myself at the beginning - never used it in the end.
    Always learning.