Post all forum problems here

Comments

• bjrichusbjrichus Posts: 23Member
    BTW: can You make the forum width at least 1024px? 
    I'll upvote/+1 that. 

Or is it possible to make it a user adjustable setting, so we can manage that for ourselves? 
    ;)
  • PeterPeter Posts: 178Administrator
    I have to see how easy it will be to increase the width - I think I will have to recalculate all dimensions. I will also work on the mobile version of the forum. I don't think I can change the time stamp for now, but I will try to research that too. Anything else?
    admin | nikonrumors.com
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited December 2012
    That layout could be better Peter, it looks less random than the current one.

Would it be possible to have all the columns for freshness etc aligned?  I think that would, along with changing the small black text on a white background, make it very good.

I like this larger default font BTW!
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    Another option: you can see only the categories on the main page: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/categories/all - this is how many other forums operate. I personally do not Ike that and prefer to see the latest discussions.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
    I don't personally think that helps.  Whatever you can do to make it like the old one would be an improvement IMHO.  The old forum may have been work intensive for you, but it was great to use for members!
    Always learning.
  • jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    edited December 2012
    I vote for latest discussions, as well. 
    I think if you could have it pretty much like it is, but with the columns lined up like in that screenshot you posted, it would be easier to read the front page.
    edit: or are the columns lined up just because the threads are empty in that screenshot?
    Post edited by jonnyapple on
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.
    I think that is the case Jonny.  If the freshness were aligned, it becomes a glance to see what has happened since your last visit.  I hope that can happen.
    Always learning.
    A small thing, I know but:  When you use the quote function, a lot of lines get wasted before the authors text appears - it looks wrong as well as wasting space.

Would it be possible to reduce it to a one line gap the a line then a one line gap before that text?
    Always learning.
    A small thing, I know but:  When you use the quote function, a lot of lines get wasted before the authors text appears - it looks wrong as well as wasting space.

Would it be possible to reduce it to a one line gap the a line then a one line gap before that text?

-----------------------------------------

Like  this for instance?
    Always learning.
    Would something like this be possible, Peter?

Looks good Jonny.
    Always learning.
  • mirtosmirtos Posts: 16Member
    It used to show you if you were logged in or not, and since the keeping logged in doesnt work, its hard to know if you are logged in or not.

It used to say something like "Welcome mirtos"  (or whatever)

Just a thought.
  • mirtosmirtos Posts: 16Member
    oops, nevermind, its at the bottom right of the page, the problem with that is its not really obvious until you scroll.  even then its kindof visually buried.

@mitros - if you are not signed in, you will not see the big "start discussion" button on the top, there will be a sign-in window instead.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Did the who's on line list go away. Haven't seen anyone on line in a day or so or have i just logged on at the wrong times.
    Yes, I took the list away - I thought nobody was using it, but since you asked, I will bring it back. I think this may become a problem if the list gets very long.
    admin | nikonrumors.com
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Thank you. I don't feel so alone now.
  • roombarobotroombarobot Posts: 201Member
    edited December 2012

[Edit = it appears that if you bookmark a topic you get email updates.  Yay!]

Peter, thanks for all your work on the site and the forums, we all appreciate it!!

I was curious, is there a way to have email notifications for responses to a forum?  A subscription function?  Didn't the last forum have it?  It is very useful to get those, as I don't check back all that regularly.

Thanks again!

Post edited by roombarobot on
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    roombarobot - just click on the star that's near the topic on the right on main page
  • LouieCLouieC Posts: 5Member

Facebook returned the following error: This authorization code has been used.

This happened when I tried to connect via Facebook. There seems to be a fix available: http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/22154/facebook-returned-the-following-error-this-authorization-code-has-been-used

I used the 'Apply for membership' option to enrol instead. FYI

D700 | 50 1.8 | 24-85 VR | SB-700
    I think there's something strange about the quote feature. If you quote a post (from person 1) in which someone else is quoted (person 2), the new quote appears to come from person 2. Am I just crazy?
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited December 2012

I know the new forum is now up and running, but I'm a member of a few forums and the ones Powered by vBulletin® are fantastic. 
    +1
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member

the above has come out all wrong and I cant fix it

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited December 2012
    vBulletin forms are a lot nicer for users, no doubt about that, but they are expensive to have a license for (several hundred dollars a year IIRC). I suspect Peter is trying to save money, by not using vBullentin.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    @PB_PM - I think it's not a matter of saving money. for many of You vbulletin might be better for some not. I think it's a matter of personal preferences - after all it's not that different from Vanilla and at least IMHO, Vanilla is more user friendly (for new users at least).