On the fence about a move to D4 from D7000

13»

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Spraynpray, as requested I posted my first image on PAD tonight. Thanks to Msmoto, I found her instructions on how to post from my Flicker account.

Any way check out PAD for a Bald Eagle. Taken with my D300 and a Nikon 70-200mm F/2.8 at some where around 25 feet. There is no post processing with this file.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    The Birds had flown the coop. We were treated to an amazing sunrise and a StarBucks run to make up for it. Sometimes your best images are in the opposite direction from where you are looking..

Denver Shooter
  • ALThomasALThomas Posts: 6Member

This thread is long dead, but I am getting messages from people that find it while doing searches so I thought I would give an update. I did indeed take the plunge on the D4 and now looking back it feels silly that was so on the fence about it. It really is an amazing piece of technology.

I do miss the mode selector dial from my d7000, but since I'm shooting either in manual or shutter priority 99% of the time, it doesn't bother me too often.

If you are on the brink and have the expendable income, then I heartily recommend that you take the leap to the D4.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, from a D7000 to a D4 is like from a VW to a Lamborghini….. ;;)
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • HipShotHipShot Posts: 528Member
    Never fired a D4, but I think I'm jealous.
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    edited November 2013
    I would say more like a D7000 is a Camry and a D4 is a Lambo... Hassy is a Bently... A D80 would be the VW...

As a proud owner of a D7000 I have been nothing but impressed even though it is a little less than what I need. It rarely misses in the AF department, Its high ISO's are very acceptable, and its dynamic range is superb.

I really want a D4 and as such am saving up for one. Unfortunately my hard earned cash gets spent on repairs or things I don't want by "others" in the house so It'll be a while. Also my need for a fast 70-200mm is more than my need for amazing AF even tho sports is my forte
    Post edited by kyoshinikon on
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • obajobaobajoba Posts: 206Member
    Greatest thing I ever did was sell my D7000 and get a D4. Glad you are enjoying yours @ALThomas!

@kyoshinikon - shooting sports with a D7000 and your AF isn't missing? I suppose if you aren't doing more than 3-4 frame bursts you are probably ok, but that was one of my biggest motivations to move to the D4 was the incapable AF system. But, I digress, I'm fortunate to have had the money at the right time for the "upgrade." And yes, there is an inherent sticker shock that comes with spending an extra $4k on a body only when you only had $2500 in gear (total) previously.
    I would tell you to rent a D4 body and try it out but then you'll only want it more. :-/

D4 | 70-200 2.8 VR | 24-70 2.8 | TC-17e II
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    All the camera stores I know will let you apply your rental cost to the cost of t new D4, too. All you need to do is ask for it.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |